• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread v. The Suck of the Irish

Can someone explain something to me?

A common argument I hear against a college football playoffs is that the school make a lot of money with the bowl games. How is it that these bowl games make more money for the schools than a playoffs would? The stadiums are seriously empty except for the top few bowls. A playoffs would have more games, and more games that actually matter to draw a crowd. How do these bowl games make money of no one goes?

prob cuz of the money they get for the sponsorship of all these no name bowls

if there is a playoff its doubtfull that people are gonna pay as much money to say this is the little ceasers round 1 game between blank n blank

i mean there will always be sponsorship but atleast with the bowls one company gets to slap their name on the whole game

atleast thats what makes sense to me but you ask a good ? who knows what the real answer is

^^^ basically it. the sponsors of the bowls dish out money to the teams to play them. the better the bowl, the more money you get. i don't think anyone really starts getting paid unless you're in the top 5 or so. cotton, peach, sugar, orange, rose. and usually those teams have so much money, what does it matter if allstate buys you new weights for your weight room?

this is a list of everyone's payouts : http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl_games_bowl_schedule.html

Clemson is going to get 3million dollars for playing LSU in Peach Bowl.

How does the revenue sharing work now?
Few years ago, it was the conference that split the bowl money for all teams, regerdless. Ie USC would have to share their Rose Bowl money with the other ( at that time) 9 teams.

I think I read somewhere that the next deal will be along the lines of $7.3 Billion for the next 12 seasons.
Madness

Then again college football involves serious money, even from the Schools POV, Afterall each Scholarship a place like Stanford is awarding is ballpark a quarter of a million dollars and closer to $300k if the guy redshirts.( especially when you factor in the housing etc)

So assuming half the guys redshirt , a school like Stanford is probably laying out in the region of approx $24 million for a full 4 year class of 4/5 year grads
Gotta make that back.

Revenue sharing is a hot topic now

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8620591/commissioners-discuss-access-bowl-limit-revenue-sharing-sources-say

And for the record I love the bowls, only seen the 2 on saturday so far

Will watch todays ones, only problem I have with them is the weather at some, why the hell play one in Boise,Washington DC, Yankee stadium etc

Looking forward to the music city Bowl to see Mike Glennon, been on his bandwagon for a long time now.
The Latest Walterfootball mock has him going 6th overall to Buffalo

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php

As I predicted BEFORE the season started, Geno Smith is also projected as the #1 overall there

But there are also a lot of rumors now that Kansas City will take Mike Glennon with the #1 overall pick if Pioli keeps his job

Last edited:
Breakdown on Glennon coming into his bowl game.

This game will make or break him, a decent game and he cements himself as the #1 overall pick.

Tom O Brien says Glennon is a better prospect coming out of college than Matt Ryan was ( and O Brien coached both of them)....

Quarterback Mike Glennon stands a staggering 6′-6″. A size that rivals other NFL quarterbacks like Joe Flacco, Brock Osweiler, and Ryan Mallet. Glennon entered North Carolina State ranked as the 3rd best pro style quarterback in the nation. Andrew Luck just happened to be 4th on that list, and a plethora of well known passers are also among that group.

Coming this April, Mike Glennon could possibly be drafted in the first round of the NFL draft. This just happens to be a time when the Kansas City Chiefs are in dire need of a franchise signal caller (Shocker, I know). But it’s not just his measurables that have scouts, and coaches intrigued. He operated a system that had a fair amount of pro style looks during each game. Being able to take the snap from under center sounds like such a simple aspect, but it’s something all teams love in a quarterback. It brings a different element than what a pure spread, shotgun quarterback can allow a team to do.

Strengths: Glennon was able to make a comeback, game winning drive against the best defense in the nation against the pass, Florida State. The drive was only 43 yards, but he converted a clutch 4th and 2, and a 4th and 10 at one point. He can make any throw in the game, and has great velocity on his throws. His height is an advantage, although even at over 230lbs, looks like he could add a little weight to his frame. He’s a true pocket passer, and really shouldn’t be used outside the pocket very often. Does a great job of driving off his back foot, and can hit the three-step out route with ease.

His release is over the top, quick, and doesn’t have much wasted motion. His throwing motion reminds me of Eli Manning. He can throw the deep ball with the best of them. Puts a solid arch on his deep passes, and shows nice touch on the underneath routes. He isn’t overly elusive in the pocket, but will usually do a solid job shuffling his feet, and feeling the pressure around him.

He will go through hot streaks where he seems unstoppable, and will consistently hit all of his throws, but it will fade away during a game. He spreads the ball around very well. Won’t just hit one side, or one receiver all game. He hits all nine zones of my passing chart in most games. He does an excellent job of using his body to align himself better for making throws to his 2nd or 3rd read, and reads the blitz very well and accurately hits the hot route, usually a shallow cross.

Weaknesses: Will have a few errant passes each game that just seem to happen for no reason. He plays extremely conservative against good defenses, and will check down on plays where a deeper route may have been open. At times he will mis-read a zone defense, and appears to just forget when a route should be coming open against a specific alignment. Against the blitz he will routinely throw off his back foot, and will not step into his throws. It effects his velocity on the throws, and accuracy. He will take the shots in the pocket, but will not put his body second to make a perfect throw. He needs to work on becoming more consistent with moving the safety with his eyes. On certain routes, he will stare down his #1 read, and then force a pass regardless of coverage.

Although NC State ran plenty of I-formation looks, he didn’t sell the playaction very well on a consistent basis, and at times just seemed to go through the motions. His ball placement is just average in man to man situations. Seems to be a space thrower. I’d like to see him do a little better job of leading a receiver and throwing away from the defender consistently. He has a habit of getting stripped in the pocket when taking a sack. He will test his luck and throw back across the field at times. Was nearly intercepted on his game winning drive against the Seminoles because of this.

Summary: Glennon comes across as a poised leader on the field, and just the way he handles his team on the field and during each play. He’s a competitor, and even if his team is behind by a large margin, will continue to battle back. He’s a guy that could probably be plugged into an NFL system from day one, and learn that way rather than sitting for a year. I could see him having a season similar to that of Andy Dalton in his first year in the NFL, but he needs to be on a team with some talent. NC State receivers dropped seven passes against North Carolina this year. The key to Glennon being successful in the NFL will be his ability to not be afraid to take a hit against pressure, and keep his eyes downfield against the blitz. To me, he’s worth a mid-first round pick only because quarterbacks hold more value than any other position, and because he has all the physical tools you look for in a QB.

Last edited:
That Military Bowl attendance is a disgrace.

What does that stadium hold? 54,000
How many there?

Would be amazed if it was more than 15,000 now in the 4th and anything over 25,000 for the game
Bowling Green are terrible and a bunch of bad losers to boot

David Fales will be a starting QB in the NFL, He is that good
At this moment he is probably a 20th to 32nd pick in the 2014 draft, but certainly a first rounder

If he can play well next year,can be a top 5 pick

Last edited:
UCLA got schooled
Didnt watch the end of the Duke game turned off when it was 16-3, it was way too late but saw the highlights now, looked like a decent game

Planning to watch every muthafuggin bowl game from now on !!
Yes even this crapola one on right now with UL- Monroe getting schooled

Personally I am glad Barkley wont play in the Sun bowl, lets us see what we got in Wittek

let's go gophers, mineke car care bowl motherfuckers!

liberal media, take the over on .5 seizures for coach kill

dude's a wreck, it's his first bowl game with minnesota and probably his first time ever in awful texas

i am very excited to take our resident professional gaysexual palestinian poet Jamshyd to his first ever ~american football experience~ monday night. after we watch georgia tech get slaughtered, of course, earlier in the day. i hope he brought purple clothes, i don't want to lend him any of mine.

today i guess i'm watching wvu syracuse and texas oregon state. not much else on.

^^hope clemson puts up a good fight, hell i hope they win but realistically i just hope they make the ACC look decent

dude's a wreck, it's his first bowl game with minnesota and probably his first time ever in awful texas

where in texas have you been? its not amazing but its far from awful

sucks TCU didnt win, i was hoping teams from the state of texas would go undeafeted, something tells me A&M is gonna get OU this year, typically these are both two teams i wont route for but A&M surprised me this year in the SEC and when it comes down to the lesser of 2 evils ill take a texas team over the fuckin sooners anyday

oh n just for good measure GO FSU!!!

EDIT: oh yea, i know in years past the general consenus of most of the posters in here is FUCK ND, but is there anyone here rootin for the irish in the NC? i know im not, they are a team i love to hate, makes me sad it was this time last year FSU got em in thier bowl game n after a year FSU couldnt muster up a NC caliber season but ND did

i am very excited to take our resident professional gaysexual palestinian poet Jamshyd to his first ever ~american football experience~ monday night. after we watch georgia tech get slaughtered, of course, earlier in the day. i hope he brought purple clothes, i don't want to lend him any of mine.

today i guess i'm watching wvu syracuse and texas oregon state. not much else on.

I can just hear his cynical comments now.

Has anyone ever taken a preseason #1 team and by seasons end turned it into a unranked team playing and possibly losing to another unranked team in some godforsaken bowl.

Lance Kiffin take a bow.

This has to be the worst college football season of all time.

And I say that every year.

Each college football season has been worse than the one before it.

That means, if you catch me during a college football season, that college football season is the worst season, I have ever witnessed, in my life.

This has to be the worst college football season of all time.

And I say that every year.

Each college football season has been worse than the one before it.

That means, if you catch me during a college football season, that college football season is the worst season, I have ever witnessed, in my life.

http://fora.tv/2012/05/08/Ban_College_Football

Well some think it should be BANNED

They'll be playing flag football soon enough with all the rule changes, so if it comes to that (and/or if Miami isn't back in two years) I'm all for it. Old white dudes like Goodell are killing the NFL, and seemingly every rule change instituted by the NFL makes its way into college football. Football is a dying sport.

You throw in some hardcore santioned SEC corruption and the fact that some college football teams are held to higher standards than others (where the SEC teams aren't held to any standards at all, and Miami has been investigated for two years over uncorroborated lies from a convicted ponzi schemer), and the sport can pretty much go fuck itself.

Outback bowl was a pretty decent watch.
Looking forward to the Grandaddy of them all.
I expect Stanford to roll in this one.

If Nunes didnt start for Stanford this year , I think they would probably have been playing Bama next week for the National Championship.
Hogan made the offense look way better
Their TE tandem is beastly as well. Both will be starters in the NFL, will be interesting to see if the Badgers can stop them