View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

2 + 2 = 5 ?

CEV

Greenlighter
Has anyone ever heard of somebody experiencing something (whilst on a psychedelic) that would be, in our normal state of consciousness, inconceivable? -Such as seeing that 2 + 2 = 5, or seeing a circle with more than 360 degrees?

I think I'm getting your point here... If so, when on a high dose of 25i (2.4mg, would not recommend), I was imagining fairly inconceivable multi-dimensional shapes in an almost CEV way. It was all very unnatural though, like my brain was being forced to function in an very undesirable way.

Most experiences on psychedelics are tough to replicate in a state of sobriety. Visuals will only be as complex as the mind that comes up with them. Often people see things of indescribable complexity or beauty rather than visualizing arbitrary concepts like math, though.

It may be best to stick to trying to understand complex things that are still rooted in reality, such as fourth-dimensional hypercubes and the like.

Last edited:
Yes, but less often than with dissociatives. However, I see little value in entertaining the inconceivable. It doesn't appear terribly sensible for one to regard the imponderables of a psychedelic experience as much more than amusing frivolity.

I see multidimentional shapes that are impossible to describe on breakthrough doses of dmt

Don't know about 2+2=5 but I've experienced opposing feelings simultaneously while on psychedelics, especially mushrooms. Like seeing 2 sides of the coin at once.

Don't know about 2+2=5 but I've experienced opposing feelings simultaneously while on psychedelics, especially mushrooms. Like seeing 2 sides of the coin at once.

I too have felt this on mushrooms :)

I've definitely experienced impossible things on psychedelics, like directly observing dimensions higher than three, physically interacting with pure math, seeing words and thoughts as physical objects, etc. It's hard to explain in words.

definitely saw some more than 3dimensional shapes on DMT and high dose LSD, and also last time i took 3tabs of acid i could see through people (very strange)

ime, what happens much more often than 'things when tripping are unconceivable when sober', the opposite kinda: totally comprehensible stuff such as time and space becomes absolutely unintelligible

I've definitely experienced impossible things on psychedelics, like directly observing dimensions higher than three, physically interacting with pure math, seeing words and thoughts as physical objects, etc. It's hard to explain in words.

Once I had a bad trip where I literally believed I was getting shorter and with my hands and arms really disproportional. I could hear the colors and see what I was hearing. It was very visual. I sort of "understood" God and everything made sense. But I was afraid.

I felt I was soon going to disappear. When inside a car, I really thought we were going very fast, super fast like we could crash any minute and despite of the fact I saw we were as fast as 60, 65. I convinced myself this device was broken.

, like directly observing dimensions higher than three, .

a few of you have mentioned something along these lines already> I know these are the type of things tht cannot be put into words, but can you please try to describe this in more detail? I would love to hear a little bit more detail about what it was like.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Doldrugs
, like directly observing dimensions higher than three, .

"a few of you have mentioned something along these lines already> I know these are the type of things tht cannot be put into words, but can you please try to describe this in more detail? I would love to hear a little bit more detail about what it was like."

:? :
One explanation I can remember is: when you are playing music, you can actually exit this dimension and "observe" from an external dimension... Some great psychedelic musicians have described this as "hovering" over themselves and while playing on stage. Like they are listening and watching from an elevated position, "observing from another dimension...%)

For me it was like looking at overlaid 3D forms that were changing and moving independently and being able to follow and understand each one over a much higher range of detail than would make sense. Or perceiving time and thought in a physical way. Like perceiving multiple temporal states at once in a direct way. I can't really explain it adequately with language.

^ thats a pretty good attempt at articulating it i think.
Being asked to explain something impossible to put into words is a mindfuck to begin with.
But yes, i have seen shapes that would be literally impossible to reproduce or even explain.
Like an Escher painting but infinitely more elaborate.

Although a bit different, on salvia with closed eyes, I have seen words as floating entities, which were stripped off of their meaning as some sort of coloured paint was dripping off of them, leaving only a grey and senseless concept.

Has anyone ever heard of somebody experiencing something (whilst on a psychedelic) that would be, in our normal state of consciousness, inconceivable?

This is surely a common experience on a psychedelic drug, a lot of the point of taking the drug, and one of the things that defines a psychedelic experience.