• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids 15 mg oxy (snort?) Same as oral?

hotmoonsauce

Bluelighter
I've been on oxycodone 15mg 6x and oxycotin 60mg x2 daily for almost 6 years. I'm pretty used to them and don't really feel the effects so much anymore. For the most part I think I just keep taking them to avoid the withdrawls.

However over the last 7 days I've been having some pretty bad pain in my abdomen and the doctors think it's my liver.

I was wondering if these meds might have anything to do with it. Both do not contain APAP. It's just the straight oxy.

If I switched to nasal would that help? I've never snorted anything in my life. Honestly, beyond just breathing it in, I'm not even sure how to do it. Do I do the same amount? How long does it typically take? Is this even worth it?

Thanks to anyone who replies.

No, Oxycodone isn't hepatotoxic at any dose. I wouldn't recommend snorting it either as it's got a much higher bioavailability taken orally, the only advantage of intranasal administration is a quicker onset.

Switching to nasal will not help for your situation and I suggest not doing it. It can lead to sinus damage and others problems like getting mentally addicted to the process of snorting the drugs.

As for your main concern: While it's true oxycodone isn't as toxic to the liver as it is in combination with APAP I suspect long term use of various "safe" drugs were the root cause of my Grandfather's liver damage later in life. He never touched alcohol or took anything that would have caused such damage aside from a battery of medication in the later years of his life. I think a lot of elderly folks suffer from these problems due to over prescription of substances. Doctors have a bad habit of starting you on one drug and then giving you others to combat the side effects of the first one. Before you know it you're taking 10+ tablets a day.

You should seek advice from your GP if your pain is this bad. If you don't feel he's taking you serious please seek a second opinion. It doesn't matter if it's the oxy causing this any pain in that area is a big red flag and your body is telling you something needs to be addressed. Could be something in your diet or some major problem that hasn't been caught yet. You're on a lot of oxycodone daily so if the pain in breaking through that something must be really wrong. Do not attempt to self medicate for this problem go get yourself checked as soon as possible. I understand it's hard to see a doctor right now and you're probably spooked about going to an ER due to COVID-19 but something is seriously wrong if you're having pain like this while taking this many opioids daily.

I've been on oxycodone 15mg 6x and oxycotin 60mg x2 daily for almost 6 years. I'm pretty used to them and don't really feel the effects so much anymore. For the most part I think I just keep taking them to avoid the withdrawls.

However over the last 7 days I've been having some pretty bad pain in my abdomen and the doctors think it's my liver.

I was wondering if these meds might have anything to do with it. Both do not contain APAP. It's just the straight oxy.

If I switched to nasal would that help? I've never snorted anything in my life. Honestly, beyond just breathing it in, I'm not even sure how to do it. Do I do the same amount? How long does it typically take? Is this even worth it?

Thanks to anyone who replies.

Don't waste it snorting it if anything id shoot it in my arm or rectum

Hey headphones, thank you for replying back. I didn't try snorting as you suggested. I've never done it before anyway and really didn't want to start that habit.
I did finally go to the ER. They think I have diverticulitis and possible stones in my duct. So yeah, more stuff.
Anyway, to be honest, I wish I could just get off of these pain meds. I feel like I'm just on them now because it's been so long and weaning off feels like I'm going to die. The pain persists but sometimes I wonder if it's just my body wanting the drugs now. I do not get that feel good feeling anymore (haven't for a year now) and only take them to stave off the withdrawals. I hate the doctor who visited me in the hospital all those years ago saying he could help with my pain. 7 years later I'm addicted to this shit and can't get off.
Sorry for the rant. Thanks for listening.

Hey headphones, thank you for replying back. I didn't try snorting as you suggested. I've never done it before anyway and really didn't want to start that habit.

Good for you. Snorting isn't a great ROA for oxycodone anyway. You get more out of it orally and snorting just makes it kick in a little faster without providing anything else. There are drugs that work better snorted but oxy isn't one of them.

I did finally go to the ER. They think I have diverticulitis and possible stones in my duct. So yeah, more stuff.

I'm sorry to hear this I know both of those conditions are awful. At least now you know and can work with the doctors on getting better. That's why I said you should go; even if opioids could mask the pain it wouldn't solve the underlying issues.

Anyway, to be honest, I wish I could just get off of these pain meds. I feel like I'm just on them now because it's been so long and weaning off feels like I'm going to die. The pain persists but sometimes I wonder if it's just my body wanting the drugs now. I do not get that feel good feeling anymore (haven't for a year now) and only take them to stave off the withdrawals. I hate the doctor who visited me in the hospital all those years ago saying he could help with my pain. 7 years later I'm addicted to this shit and can't get off.
Sorry for the rant. Thanks for listening.

It's okay man most of us here with opioid habits started out the same way you did. The damn doctor gives you something for pain and the next thing you know you're stuck on it. They want you on pills because they're making massive profits on it. There are a lot of threads here that can help you work on weening off the opioids. There are various methods from replacement therapy (opioids dosed once daily) to iboga (psychedelic drug some people are using to break addiction) and the good old cold turkey. If I were you I wouldn't express wanting off of them to your doctor right now because they might cut you off cold. Once you're "flagged" for having a problem/addiction with them doctors get spooked. What I would do in your position is slowly start decreasing my dose every few days. Try to take less IR oxycodone every few days and work towards the goal of just taking the ER/Oxycontin. Once you've eliminated breakthrough oxycodone work on decreasing the ER dose over the course of many weeks. Whenever you feel ready jump to taking nothing at all.

You've been on a high dose for 6 years so don't expect to be able to drop the dose quickly. Just slowly work on that goal and accept that some days you might need more because pain levels have spiked. Don't beat yourself up too much about it you're sitting in a better position than a lot of folks. Whatever you do don't let them put you on methadone or subs. Those will be harder to quit than what you're on now and probably won't provide the pain relief you're getting from oxycodone.

Stick around and read about opioid w/d. Start a thread if you need help (or keep using this one). There are a lot of us here that have gone through this and can help you with advice and moral support.

Edit: if you're interested in Iboga this is the best trip report I've ever seen about it: https://www.bluelight.org/xf/threads/ibogaine-flood-dose-first-time-into-the-flood.723353/

The guy that wrote this broke an opioid addiction with a flood dose. Several other people here have used this. I've been wanting to try it myself for a long time because nothing has really worked for me so far. I had a heavy habit, quit, got back on them, quit again, and now I'm on kratom (a mild opioid) daily again. I'm tired of the roller coaster and know exactly what you're going through.

No sure but if your liver is the organ it passes threw shooting it up your butt (rectal administration) that wY it bypasses first past metabolism i may be all wrong not 109%

I prefer to take oxycodone orally with an enzyme inhibitor to increase potency, but generally smoke/snort everything else

No, Oxycodone isn't hepatotoxic at any dose. I wouldn't recommend snorting it either as it's got a much higher bioavailability taken orally, the only advantage of intranasal administration is a quicker onset.
THAT IS NOT TRUE; The bioavailability is exactly the same, oral or intranasal. Come on, we have an opioid chart.

Both are around 50%; The difference is intranasal hits you harder and a LOT faster (20-25 minutes vs 1..5 -2hrs) Peak plasma levels (Cmax) would also be higher after snorting, if done properly

You just gently inhale into a nostril, about half the powder, gently hold the nostril for a minute, then do the rest of the powder. I suggest trying 30mg (2 Roxie 15's); it might give you a temporary boost of analgesia

😒 Seriously, WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK OXYCODONE HAS A HIGH ORAL BA%, WHEN I've posted more than half a dozen studies and articles confirming, IT DOES NOT

50% people, please do your research. Our very opioid guide should have it at 50%, unless I messed up editing it

No, rectal oxycodone takes 3-4 hours to reach maximum effect, and the bioavailability is not improved. On top of that, the slower absorption results in a lower Cmax, and so it is actually less potent, although it last longer (several hours of analgesic action, would need to increase dose though )

And rectal doesn't completely bypass First pass metabolism

No sure but if your liver is the organ it passes threw shooting it up your butt (rectal administration) that wY it bypasses first past metabolism i may be all wrong not 109%

No, rectal oxycodone takes 3-4 hours to reach maximum effect, and the bioavailability is not improved. On top of that, the slower absorption results in a lower Cmax, and so it is actually less potent, although it last longer (several hours of analgesic action, would need to increase dose though )

And rectal doesn't completely bypass First pass metabolism
I do have a benzo problem. My Dr only prescribes me 2 a day off klonopin, they're only .5 mg!!! I always run out a week or two ahead of time. I don't know what to do, been to emergency room twice, they gave be valium, bcuz when I have panic attacks it feels like I'm having a heart attack. Sometimes the blood pressure pills my Dr gave me help but other times it makes my heart pound. I'm also on methadone. I've used H just to knock out the panic attacks. I don't like searching for that sh*t. But, the panic attacks feel like I'm dying.

I do have a benzo problem. My Dr only prescribes me 2 a day off klonopin, they're only .5 mg!!! I always run out a week or two ahead of time. I don't know what to do, been to emergency room twice, they gave be valium, bcuz when I have panic attacks it feels like I'm having a heart attack. Sometimes the blood pressure pills my Dr gave me help but other times it makes my heart pound. I'm also on methadone. I've used H just to knock out the panic attacks. I don't like searching for that sh*t. But, the panic attacks feel like I'm dying.
Have you looked into using kava, or any other natural medicine to help alleviate your panic disorder when you run out of benzos?

I did not know about kava. I've thought about trying kratom to get off of the methadone, but it blocks the methadone, sending me straight into withdrawal. I'm very paranoid about taking anything bcuz of the way I felt when I take something that blocks the opioid receptors, like kratom. I think it's like taking suboxone, you have to quit for 3 days. I may be wrong. Gotta look into it some. If there is any way I can take it safely, to you can bet on it that I will. This methadone is killing me. Blocking my intestines, cannot eat, losing weight. Felt like someone stabbing me in the stomach. So I'm up for anything.