• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

120mg adderall and no effect

Jenjem

Greenlighter
OK, so I've been taking adderall for 11yrs (since I was 16) and the last year I have been on 120mg a day of the XR. I literally can't feel anything from it anymore, I can't concentrate like I use to, I am lethargic, I've actually GAINED weight... I don't know what's going on. Meanwhile, I feel like that dose is too high (given the standard recommendations). I tried to swith to Dexedrine (gave it 3mos) and felt dopey and not the least bit sharp. However, I thought if I took a break from adderall and went back, it would work--not the case. So what's going on? Am I a weird case or has anyone else experienced this?

*please only people that have used adderall For long periods of time (6+ years) or professionals respond.

It is caused by your massive tolerance. Take a two week break and save what you don't use.

It shouldn't impair your concentration, that's strange. It kind of sounds like you're chasing the hyper-focus that amphetamine gives for the first couple weeks-months. If I were you I wouldn't up your dose anymore. I would actually taper down and try a different medicine. At that dosage you're damaging your brain.

Interesting everyone points to " Tolerance" or "consuming to much acidic stuff" when I read a post about adderall not working. In early 2009, the first 10mg add I took I was superman. Month after month I could feel the effects each time I dosed. I stopped in 2010. 3 weeks ago(april 2014) I decided to go back on it. 10mg XR made by Actavis. After the first dose my head hurt within an hour. My skin felt sunburn and some crazy foggy-almost drunk like state happened. 2 weeks of this and I switched to Shire brand XR 10mg. Not even the same drug. Cant be. BUT... I still feel tired and starving for the whole day. I have taken 2 at a time (20mg) and made it worse. I truly believe the compounds, fillers, quality of amphetamine or something has been silently changed across the board. I'm not into government conspiracies, but maybe the FDA turns a blind eye to the changes so they and the DEA don't have so many speed freaks addicted to adderall. 2009 adderall? It was brilliant. 2014? this is not the same drug. Period. Yes, I have tried the barr 10mg generic IR last month also. It made me fuzzy, tired as much as the XR. I'm thinking about investing in a lab test of one of my pills to prove my point. Its not just tolerance or "too low of a dose". Adderall is not the same these days.

It is caused by your massive tolerance. Take a two week break and save what you don't use.

Once you have a amphetamines tolerance it never goes away.

OP You finally burned it out. 120mgs even for someone who's been on it as long as you is kind of absurd.

It's just the crappy Adderall these days. I gave one of my 10mg xr to coworker who never took Adderall. It gave him the same sluggish tired feeling I got. He even got crazy hungry like me. Sure you got a tolerance building but modern Adderall is watered down. 2005 Adderall isn't 2014 Adderall.

It's just the crappy Adderall these days. I gave one of my 10mg xr to coworker who never took Adderall. It gave him the same sluggish tired feeling I got. He even got crazy hungry like me. Sure you got a tolerance building but modern Adderall is watered down. 2005 Adderall isn't 2014 Adderall.

Well, first of all 10mgs is too low, I feel that low of a dose can be paradoxical. Either way, why would it be watered down? What would they accomplish by doing that? Sounds a bit tinfoil-ish if you ask me. If you're so certain, why don't you just get a simple purity testing kit?

^I woudn't say "never".

Never definitely is the right word. I took a two or so year break in hopes to recapture some of the more magical euphoria rather than the drony buzz and was semi surprised to feel exactly how it felt two years prior, I even crashed just as hard. Most people report that little can be reversed as well even with years and lots of NMDA antagonist supplementation . The epiginetic changes are to blame, I say fuck our bodies for ruining something so amazing!

Last edited:
Yeah I really don't have much to add other than I was on Methylphenidate as a kid and hated it. Anyways, since then(quit in sixth grade i'm now 24) I had a couple years where i binged on cocaine (powder and crack) and after a while I wouldn't really get high just tweaked out and agitated. As far as amphetamines I smoked Meth a total of maybe 4 times and loved it but was glad it didn't come around anymore. Now down to my experience with adderall. First time was maybe 2005 i'm guessing and I liked it (unlike the Ritalin which I will always hate and never intentionally take again). Those were IR's and gave a good high whether oral or insuffulated. I only did it maybe 9 or 10 times anyway, I bought some last September and it was vyvanse instead so ER realese. I busted those babies open and poured em down and to me it felt like the same high. Mind you I had no amp tolerance at this time. So yeah it may be tolerance or idk what. I don't think the drug companies would be able to "water it down" and have therapeutic users still get the effects they need. That said who really fuckin knows these
days???

I have read a scholarly article called " chronic amphetamine use and abuse" that mentioned lasting changes to the brain the reduce the effect on the drug that were different than simple receptor down regulation but this is likely only in the most extreme instances of abuse. They also mentioned that the more times you use it to the point of paranoia and psychosis from sleep deprivation the shorter the length of time required for this to happen. The effect is called kindling. It can get to a point where the slightest amount will have you hallucinating.

Well, first of all 10mgs is too low, I feel that low of a dose can be paradoxical. Either way, why would it be watered down? What would they accomplish by doing that? Sounds a bit tinfoil-ish if you ask me. If you're so certain, why don't you just get a simple purity testing kit?

Never definitely is the right word. I took a two or so year break in hopes to recapture some of the more magical euphoria rather than the drony buzz and was semi surprised to feel exactly how it felt two years prior, I even crashed just as hard. Most people report that little can be reversed as well even with years and lots of NMDA antagonist supplementation . The epiginetic changes are to blame, I say fuck our bodies for ruining something so amazing!

One anecdote...

One anecdote...

I mentioned that about every forum I've been to "90%" of the people claim the same experience. So, its way more than just "one", and about the "10%" percent said that it lowered it slightly for maybe 1-2 doses and it returned to previous tolerance. The studies I've seen say that it causes changes in the brain that would explain the irreversible tolerance one experiences after long term/chronic dosing.

Last edited:
...or changes in the Adderall. One purity test coming up. If you stumble upon the Actavis XR by all means indulge. I was first prescribed that and passed a blood test for Amphetamines. I don't think Tolerance to blame.

...or changes in the Adderall. One purity test coming up. If you stumble upon the Actavis XR by all means indulge. I was first prescribed that and passed a blood test for Amphetamines. I don't think Tolerance to blame.

This information goes as far back as 2007... My last actual use of amphetamines was back in early 2010. The likely hood that they just magically decided to make the pills worse in a years time is slim to none. My first experience was in January of 2009; just 20mg Adderall had me blissed out all day an into the night. You're wasting your time, to me tt would seem that you just can't accept the fact that amphetamines lose their magic.

Last edited:
Never taken Adderall, but I've done the shit out of street methamphetamine on and off for many years, and have been Rx'ed Vyvanse and extremely high dose Adipex (Phentermine - not a true amphetamine, but a phenethylamine as well as a methamphetamine analogue used as an anorectic). I also have ADHD. After long term use you just can't go back to they way they use to affect you. I'll take a few months break, but when I go back to the shit. I'm mainlining 300+mg first dose to get where I want. An alternative you should consider is Modafinil (Provigil) or Armodafinil (Nuvigil). I recently tried 200mg of Modafinil for the first time. I didn't experience any high from it, but I was sharp, my thoughts flowed amazingly, I had a slight elevation in mood, I had energy. It was really nice. No tweaky uneasiness. No overpowering euphoria. No super horrible cardiovascular, GI, or neurological side effects like I've gotten from meth/lisdexamf. No feeling that it was imperative to redose to not feel like shit when it wore off either.

You should at least try a prescription of those if all you care about is your ability to focus and function at your highest abilities. My cognitive function was much greater on it than it's ever been on amphetamines. Despite it being a C-IV substance don't expect any recreation out of it lol.

With eleven straight years of amphetamine use, especially beginning such use while you were an adolescent, what you are experiencing does not surprise me at all. It is what tends to happen with chronic amphetamine use - you go from the really nice, initial stage, where the world is yours and you can make of it as you please, to the stage where you feel it, but it isn't so euphoric, though it still helps you, and then on and on until what you've described happens. I would suggest discontinuing amphetamine, altogether - I think you'd end up feeling better more quickly than you might think. However, if you want or need a stimulant for whatever your purposes are, I'd highly suggest trying either methylphenidate or dexmethylphenidate; I'd probably try dexmethylphenidate (Focalin and Focalin XR) first, in your situation. It will feel different, but I'd guess quite a bit better after a period of adjustment. Now, Focalin lasts maybe 2.5 to 4 hrs. solidly, and Focalin XR like 5 to 8 hrs., regardless of what doctors may tell you, or advertisements may tell you. Frankly, if you need another strong stimulant, I would suggest trying plain Focalin for a while, though you'd have to dose it three to four times through the day for best effect, really. I might also add, if you did switch over, and get do the Focalin thing for a while, I would guess cutting it out of your life cold turkey would be much swifter than with an amphetamine - not necessarily easier, but swifter. Just some input.

Early 09 had me in bliss too dysphoric. I only took Add for a few months. Sometime In 2009 there were "significant formula changes" in the IR from Barr. Their words not mine. Actavis, which is the only generic XR Not made by Shire, is the one I was taking when my blood test came back Negative for Amphetamines. I'm not saying Adderall doesn't have the magic it once did, I'm saying the 3 brands (XR, IR)I've had in the last month cause lethargy, drunk like mental effects, even extreme hunger.
Like I'm taking Buspar or something. Even a friend who never has tried it in his life, became tired and dizzy on a blue 10 Barr. Now there are hundreds of forums with people having side effects like mine and they are all written from about 09 to today. Maybe I should make a TPS report on it. I'm over it now. Back to street opiates I guess.

I'm not saying Adderall doesn't have the magic it once did, I'm saying the 3 brands (XR, IR)I've had in the last month cause lethargy, drunk like mental effects, even extreme hunger.
Like I'm taking Buspar or something.

Sounds like its just you and your friend, no one I know is complaining about it. I'm having a friend bring their test kit over to test the Adderall I got scripted a couple months ago and I will post images of it showing positive for amphetamines. Please remove the tinfoil hat.

They list the inactive ingredients for these drugs, likely on their website. If there was a change it wouldn't be invisible. Lol at everyone having tolerance now.

I mentioned that about every forum I've been to "90%" of the people claim the same experience. So, its way more than just "one", and about the "10%" percent said that it lowered it slightly for maybe 1-2 doses and it returned to previous tolerance. The studies I've seen say that it causes changes in the brain that would explain the irreversible tolerance one experiences after long term/chronic dosing.

"Never" is a strong word. You do realize you're insinuating that tolerance remains perfectly stable. Now, if you were taking methamphetamine afterwards it may be more likely, however there are ways to reduce tolerance.