• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

100ug of LSD for ADHD, daily

I would think that if a psychedelic like LSD or Psilocybin was effective for ADHD it would be due to decreased power of the default mode network (which tends to be overactive in ADHD but can be decreased by psychedelics), rather than a direct enhancing effect on working memory et cetera as some ADHD meds work via.

Essentially you may think about cognition as related to attention, and the default mode network may introduce too much attentional noise even if the ADHD mind can focus on something stimulating that does manage to capture its attention

I would think that if a psychedelic like LSD or Psilocybin was effective for ADHD it would be due to decreased power of the default mode network (which tends to be overactive in ADHD but can be decreased by psychedelics), rather than a direct enhancing effect on working memory et cetera as some ADHD meds work via.

Essentially you may think about cognition as related to attention, and the default mode network may introduce too much attentional noise even if the ADHD mind can focus on something stimulating that does manage to capture its attention

That's kinda like putting the horse behind the bandwagon. I would think it's the effects of the drugs that are contributing to the switch of the DNM.

I've been reading some more, and it seems that 5-HT1A partial agonism is stronger with LSD than to 5-HT2A receptors.

ftq4qv.png

That's kinda like putting the horse behind the bandwagon. I would think it's the effects of the drugs that are contributing to the switch of the DNM.

Do you mean to say that you think eg Methylphenidate is increasing WM directly and decreased DMN power comes after that? While MPH does have a direct effect on WM, I'm not sure what effect it has on the DMN.

I hate to repeat myself, but if you want sustained therapeutic effect from 5-HT2A on dopaminergic activity in the PFC, that is a problem due to the tolerance you build. Your idea contradicts itself: you want therapeutic effects from downregulation as well apparently but that downregulation defeats the purpose of that effect on the DNM (which only hypothetically would help - if my experience is anything to go on not so much: my ADD gets terrible on lysergamides).

And on the other hand, taking it daily would prevent you from really getting the benefits from the tolerance / downregulation because you are still countering that by continuing administration of the LSD ..or an analogue of it. It doesn't seem thought out.

The tolerance is just considerably heavier than seen with typical ADHD medications.

It's not really a lack of balls of taking acid daily, which plenty have done, the more notorious / famous being Tim Leary et al. I guess. Or McKenna who went nuts I think although he probably compensated for tolerance. Yet not so many report on this that fibrosis would necessarily get associated with such frequent use of full doses.

The anti-psychotics you list still have other actions like 5-HT2A antagonism and inverse agonism.. like more typical anti-psychotics. D2 agonists seem to be rather something of an anti-Parkinsons or restless leg syndrome medication. The leaps in your hypotheses are just pretty big which leads me to the word 'guessing'. Assumptions about 13-OH-LSD, therapeutic effect of D2 agonism as opposed to adverse effect...

Acute safety of LSD says nothing at all about what happens if you take it daily. We may not know how bad this action on 5-HT2B is compared to the fenfluramine sort of compounds, but it's something to take seriously. It seems plausible that weekly use is different enough with regards to safety than daily use.
LSD a short half life? Did I mention that it binds extremely long to 5-HT2A and 5-HT2B though, while the rest that is not bound may gradually get excreted? That can very well trump any such half-life considerations.

The idea does not seem like hitting two birds with one stone but aiming for two birds and missing right down the middle. If you're just curious about taking 100 µg daily for a while, there isn't that much people can do to stop you... but I wouldn't kid yourself about it being a scientific experiment as much as a wild shot.

Hopefully Nichols will also clarify a bit about how things turned out with the 13-OH-LSD testing. If he was right about that stuff, who knows if it has promise as a medication? But I would still be thinking about the 5-HT2A agonism part of the story as taking an agonist weekly.

Don't request vendors, that is strictly forbidden on the forum dude.

Last edited:
Just to put your mind at ease If you take large amounts of LSD it is not cardiotoxic.
Charles Nichols did an experiment where he chronically gave LSD to mice and there were no abnormalities in their hearts when a pathiologist looked at their hearts. He could no say when it will be published. If you do not believe me email dave or Charles.

Do you mean to say that you think eg Methylphenidate is increasing WM directly and decreased DMN power comes after that? While MPH does have a direct effect on WM, I'm not sure what effect it has on the DMN.
So, how MPH decreases synchronisation of the DNM from a feedback loop of mental time travelling and rumination over the past to a proactive and present one is quite complicated. From what I understand, there's a significant amount of activity required to activate PFC neurons via catecholamine synthesis and release in the PFC via MPH or AMP. There's also an alteration in synchronisation of tone in dopamine firing neurones from either phasic to tonic or vice verse. I don't claim to know how this global phenomenon is happening as it's a sum total of effects of a drug on neuronal processing activity. So, I can't really claim to know how LSD is doing it. I just know that psilocybin does not achieve the same level of the signal to noise ratio for external inputs as say MPH or LSD. I'm assuming this has to do with PFC activity increased either by persistent agonistic effects on 5-HT2A activity or dopamine and norepinephrine activity.

I can research some of it more; but, it's something best left for someone with an MD or PhD in the area as to not spout nonsense.

I hate to repeat myself, but if you want sustained therapeutic effect from 5-HT2A on dopaminergic activity in the PFC, that is a problem due to the tolerance you build. Your idea contradicts itself: you want therapeutic effects from downregulation as well apparently but that downregulation defeats the purpose of that effect on the DNM (which only hypothetically would help - if my experience is anything to go on not so much: my ADD gets terrible on lysergamides).

And on the other hand, taking it daily would prevent you from really getting the benefits from the tolerance / downregulation because you are still countering that by continuing administration of the LSD ..or an analogue of it. It doesn't seem thought out.
I don't understand. I'm trying to achieve persistent downregulation of 5-HT2A receptors here. I also am interested in constant 5-HT1A partial agonism for depression and anxiety, along with the positive downstream effects of said receptor activation. I haven't read anywhere claiming that 5-HT1A receptor activation is detrimental to ADHD, rather the contrary.

The anti-psychotics you list still have other actions like 5-HT2A antagonism and inverse agonism.. like more typical anti-psychotics. D2 agonists seem to be rather something of an anti-Parkinsons or restless leg syndrome medication. The leaps in your hypotheses are just pretty big which leads me to the word 'guessing'. Assumptions about 13-OH-LSD, therapeutic effect of D2 agonism as opposed to adverse effect...
I forget which receptors are pertinent to treating ADHD; but, LSD as a partial agonist at D2 and at a higher efficiency at D3 receptors is something characteristic of most atypical antipsychotics nowadays, specifically compared to something like Vraylar or Brexpiprazole. The idea is to persistently normalize D2 activity via partial agonism, countering the abberant activity of D2 short and long receptors that is seen in schizophrenia. Along with that you might see positive effects on ADHD (hypothetical).

Acute safety of LSD says nothing at all about what happens if you take it daily. We may not know how bad this action on 5-HT2B is compared to the fenfluramine sort of compounds, but it's something to take seriously. It seems plausible that weekly use is different enough with regards to safety than daily use.
LSD a short half life? Did I mention that it binds extremely long to 5-HT2A and 5-HT2B though, while the rest that is not bound may gradually get excreted? That can very well trump any such half-life considerations.
We don't know if that binding is exclusive to CNS or PNS neurons. If the latter, then yes there can be some unwanted fibrosis; but, again the link behind "LSD and fibrosis" is inconclusive.

The idea does not seem like hitting two birds with one stone but aiming for two birds and missing right down the middle. If you're just curious about taking 100 µg daily for a while, there isn't that much people can do to stop you... but I wouldn't kid yourself about it being a scientific experiment as much as a wild shot.

Hopefully Nichols will also clarify a bit about how things turned out with the 13-OH-LSD testing. If he was right about that stuff, who knows if it has promise as a medication? But I would still be thinking about the 5-HT2A agonism part of the story as taking an agonist weekly.
I don't want to entirely focus on 5-HT2A partial agonism here. Sure, it increases glutamate activity and lowers threshhold docking ability of dopamine on D2 and other receptors in the PFC, while sidesteping NAc stimulation and thus abuse liability. I mean, what's not to love about the drug apart from treating depression and anxiety via downregulation of 5-HT2A receptors along with partial agonism on 5-HT1A receptors? Sure, fibrosis is a concern; though, I think it's one that's way overblown for LSD or even hydergine.

Don't request vendors, that is strictly forbidden on the forum dude.
Never did. Was just asking if anyone knows if there are lower prices for 1P-LSD.

Thanks!

Just to put your mind at ease If you take large amounts of LSD it is not cardiotoxic.
Charles Nichols did an experiment where he chronically gave LSD to mice and there were no abnormalities in their hearts when a pathiologist looked at their hearts. He could no say when it will be published. If you do not believe me email dave or Charles.
Thanks, I'll take your word for it. I never thought LSD had a propensity for fibrosis due to its short half-life...

I just know that psilocybin does not achieve the same level of the signal to noise ratio for external inputs as say MPH or LSD. I'm assuming this has to do with PFC activity increased either by persistent agonistic effects on 5-HT2A activity or dopamine and norepinephrine activity.

One theory is that psychedelic stimulation of 5-HT2A on apical dendrites of pyramidal cells in PFC leads to effects on the collaterals sent out to adjacent cortical columns, possibly inhibiting adjacent columns.

I wouldn't expect this possible effect induced by psychedelics to be temporally or spatially constrained, and thus I wouldn't expect it to produce a real increase in cognitive performance (if performance is the actual concern here)

Whereas endogenous D1 activation facilitates working memory by keeping the correct cell assemblages firing that represent a stimulus (in the case of WM), suppressing noise of adjacent cells (although too much D1 activation suppresses all cells, including the stimulus related cells).

Reuptake inhibitors will somewhat preserve the natural activation component because reuptake inhibitors only enhance the amount of dopamine that is naturally released, compared to a releasing agent.

I'll add however that psilocybin decreases DMN power as well, so the benefits should be seen there if they are to do with the DMN unless psilocybin has overpowering deleterious effects on the PFC's performance or too much body load et cetera

I guess I'm not sure just how different in principle treating ADHD with LSD would be if you were just benefitting from a stimulant effect rather than a real decrease in DMN power from actions in cingulate/insula et cetera.

Enhanced salience and therefore attention could just be leading to enhanced performance (up to a certain point I'm sure).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/27734305/

I don't understand. I'm trying to achieve persistent downregulation of 5-HT2A receptors here.
Then Pimavanserin should be your ticket - but I don't believe selective 5-HT2A inverse agonism has ever proven very effective for any mental illness aside from insomnia, and even then it didn't get approved. Even though 5-HT2 receptor expression can be elevated in suicide victims, I'm not sure if the link between 5-HT2 and depression is quite clear (5-HT2A inverse agonism failed a trial for MDD).

Elevated 5-HT2A could be related to the mode of death, or it could be purely coincidental and not causal of the depression. The downregulation of 5-HT2A with SSRIs could be correlating with the time of onset of their efficacy because that is when other effects begin to occur - once again it could be coincidental.

I guess I'm not convinced that the efficacy of LSD/psilocybin for depression is simply due to 5-HT2A downregulation and 5-HT1A activation.

We don't know if that binding is exclusive to CNS or PNS neurons. If the latter, then yes there can be some unwanted fibrosis; but, again the link behind "LSD and fibrosis" is inconclusive.

I mean, what's not to love about the drug apart from treating depression and anxiety via downregulation of 5-HT2A receptors along with partial agonism on 5-HT1A receptors? Sure, fibrosis is a concern; though, I think it's one that's way overblown for LSD or even hydergine.

I never thought LSD had a propensity for fibrosis due to its short half-life...

The concern is activation of 5-HT2A on fibroblasts. Also, never mind the half life - LSD binds pseudo-irreversibly to 5-HT2A (and can activate G-protein signaling repeatedly without needing to un-bind) and hence has lengthy subjective effects. I'm not sure if it can bind pseudo-irreversibly to 5-HT2B but that is a scary thought.

Daily microdosing is one thing. Daily dosing is probably another.

I think daily dosing could be very hard on your brain and mental health in the long run.

One theory is that psychedelic stimulation of 5-HT2A on apical dendrites of pyramidal cells in PFC leads to effects on the collaterals sent out to adjacent cortical columns, possibly inhibiting adjacent columns.

I wouldn't expect this possible effect induced by psychedelics to be temporally or spatially constrained, and thus I wouldn't expect it to produce a real increase in cognitive performance (if performance is the actual concern here)
What are the effects of this in your opinion? I'm not well read in this aspect of psychadelic function.

Whereas endogenous D1 activation facilitates working memory by keeping the correct cell assemblages firing that represent a stimulus (in the case of WM), suppressing noise of adjacent cells (although too much D1 activation suppresses all cells, including the stimulus related cells).
Yes, D1 receptors are important for maintaining task salience and learning and memory.
2rppb4h.jpg

Reuptake inhibitors will somewhat preserve the natural activation component because reuptake inhibitors only enhance the amount of dopamine that is naturally released, compared to a releasing agent.
I've always thought DRI's were better suited for DNM deactivation without inducing excessive reward seeking behavior. So, DRI's are preferential for my needs and are less depleting agents on the psyche. Only problem is that they tend to cause more psychotomimetic effects due to mechanisms which I don't fully understand as opposed to TAAR1 agonists and releasing agents like d-amp, TAAR1 agonists/partial agonists/PAM's are antipsychotic BTW.

I'll add however that psilocybin decreases DMN power as well, so the benefits should be seen there if they are to do with the DMN unless psilocybin has overpowering deleterious effects on the PFC's performance or too much body load et cetera
That's entirely possible; but, I tend to think LSD has greater efficacy at decreasing DNM power than psilocybin due to the aforementioned metabolites and D1&2 binding profile. It's also a more potent partial agonist at 5-HT2A receptors than psilocybin.

I guess I'm not sure just how different in principle treating ADHD with LSD would be if you were just benefitting from a stimulant effect rather than a real decrease in DMN power from actions in cingulate/insula et cetera.

Enhanced salience and therefore attention could just be leading to enhanced performance (up to a certain point I'm sure).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/27734305/
Yea, there's still an overemphasis on dopamine present in the medical community and, well here as well. Dopamine is important for salience and motivation, which are intrinsically linked with the effects on DNM activity; but glutamate is as important in maintaining arousal and motivation in task-oriented goals. I mean, it's not only important to 'want' something; but, to also maintain interest in it after the duration of effects of some DRI or DRA.

Then Pimavanserin should be your ticket - but I don't believe selective 5-HT2A inverse agonism has ever proven very effective for any mental illness aside from insomnia, and even then it didn't get approved. Even though 5-HT2 receptor expression can be elevated in suicide victims, I'm not sure if the link between 5-HT2 and depression is quite clear (5-HT2A inverse agonism failed a trial for MDD).
Inverse agonism is a totally different beast and excludes the benefit of downregulation caused by persistent activation of a receptor. You also don't get the benefit from downstream effects mentioned in regards to LSD and glutamate function in the PFC. It's rather a bad way to induce changes in receptor levels, which I'm hoping LSD can do.

Elevated 5-HT2A could be related to the mode of death, or it could be purely coincidental and not causal of the depression. The downregulation of 5-HT2A with SSRIs could be correlating with the time of onset of their efficacy because that is when other effects begin to occur - once again it could be coincidental.
Well, SSRI's don't actually "do" anything than increase serotonin levels. The lack of their efficiacy in treating depression can be attributed to more elevated receptor count in some depressed patients than less depressed patients, as vague as that sounds. Further, using more potent 5-HT transporter inhibitors doesn't necessarily do the job better. But, 5-HT1A receptors are probably of greater importance in treating neurotic depression here due to anxiety and lack of motivation.

I guess I'm not convinced that the efficacy of LSD/psilocybin for depression is simply due to 5-HT2A downregulation and 5-HT1A activation.
Then what would you attribute it to then? I find it hard to believe that increasing sensitivity to dopamine activity via 5-HT2A agonism and decreasing anxiety due to 5-HT1A partial agonism isn't the cause for LSD' therapeutic potential in treating depression along with probably a myriad of other effects on norepinephrine.

The concern is activation of 5-HT2A on fibroblasts. Also, never mind the half life - LSD binds pseudo-irreversibly to 5-HT2A (and can activate G-protein signaling repeatedly without needing to un-bind) and hence has lengthy subjective effects. I'm not sure if it can bind pseudo-irreversibly to 5-HT2B but that is a scary thought.

Daily microdosing is one thing. Daily dosing is probably another.

I think daily dosing could be very hard on your brain and mental health in the long run.
Possible, don't know yet entirely.

What are the effects of this in your opinion? I'm not well read in this aspect of psychadelic function.

In terms of therapeutic efficacy there have been correlative findings involving the subgenual cingulate and DMN - effects on these targets could be mediating the real efficacy of psychedelics for depression. But there is certainly room for multiple MAOs, and there could be simple 5-HT2A -> glutamate -> mTOR explanations, or just plain old BDNF. Maybe altered neural activity with enhanced neuroplasticity synergizes, and synaptic remodeling is enhanced during the experience. See also psilocybin's effects on neurogenesis.

I've always thought DRI's were better suited for DNM deactivation without inducing excessive reward seeking behavior. So, DRI's are preferential for my needs and are less depleting agents on the psyche. Only problem is that they tend to cause more psychotomimetic effects due to mechanisms which I don't fully understand as opposed to TAAR1 agonists and releasing agents like d-amp, TAAR1 agonists/partial agonists/PAM's are antipsychotic BTW.
DRIs cause more psychotomimetic effects than DRAs for you? Mind you many drugs are TAAR1 agonists but that won't come into play unless they are substrates for the respective transporters.

That's entirely possible; but, I tend to think LSD has greater efficacy at decreasing DNM power than psilocybin due to the aforementioned metabolites and D1&2 binding profile. It's also a more potent partial agonist at 5-HT2A receptors than psilocybin.

I'm not sure about the relative power of LSD vs. psilocybin in terms of decreasing the DMN coherence and subgenual cingulate metabolism but Nutt has shown that psilocybin has potent effects on the DMN/subgenual cingulate.

RE: Partial agonist at 5-HT2A - I wouldn't necessarily think about activation of 5-HT2A as 0%-100%. The intrinsic efficacy of a ligand at 5-HT2A may be low but it could still cause potent activation of a psychedelic cascade, so to compare a psychedelic ligand's activation of 5-HT2A to the (100%) full agonism that is defined by 5-HT may not be reliable in terms of predicting physiological effects.

Yea, there's still an overemphasis on dopamine present in the medical community and, well here as well. Dopamine is important for salience and motivation, which are intrinsically linked with the effects on DNM activity; but glutamate is as important in maintaining arousal and motivation in task-oriented goals. I mean, it's not only important to 'want' something; but, to also maintain interest in it after the duration of effects of some DRI or DRA.

There are a lot of glutamate/BDNF/mTOR theories going around for psychedelic efficacy as well, but the emphasis there is that its not just about the acute neural change that a drug elicits (altered receptor levels are probably not that important as the neuroplastic changes that accompany the experience).

But RE: dopamine and working memory, its thought that D1 activation facilitates WM by enhancing NMDAr transmission. So yes indeed glutamate is important, but other neuromodulators are modulating all the other neurotransmitters (in this case it may be more helpful to think about the neurons themselves rather than the transmitters and receptors, especially seeing as eg dopamine receptors aren't just located on dopaminergic cells). And outside of just thinking about the neurons individually, we can think about the circuits intertwining and the brain as a whole.

Inverse agonism is a totally different beast and excludes the benefit of downregulation caused by persistent activation of a receptor. You also don't get the benefit from downstream effects mentioned in regards to LSD and glutamate function in the PFC. It's rather a bad way to induce changes in receptor levels, which I'm hoping LSD can do.
While its true that e.g. inverse agonism at 5-HT2C induces different effects than silent antagonism at 5-HT2C, I still maintain the altered levels of receptor expression are not where a benefit would really be derived from, if there was benefit to repeated daily dosing. If you just want to downregulate 5-HT2A, then SSRIs should work as well.

Well, SSRI's don't actually "do" anything than increase serotonin levels. The lack of their efficiacy in treating depression can be attributed to more elevated receptor count in some depressed patients than less depressed patients, as vague as that sounds. Further, using more potent 5-HT transporter inhibitors doesn't necessarily do the job better. But, 5-HT1A receptors are probably of greater importance in treating neurotic depression here due to anxiety and lack of motivation.
You lose me at lack of efficacy in severely depressed patients (SSRIs work better for severe depression and aren't as good for treating mild/moderate MDD).

To a large deal SSRIs are probably inducing synaptic remodeling via BDNF et cetera. Sensitization of the post-synaptic 5-HT1A while desensitizing pre-synaptic autoreceptors may be to credit (and blockade of 5-HT1A autoreceptors can help decrease the response time to SSRIs but only really in the severely depressed). There are also direct agonist effects at 5-HT2B that are playing some role in SSRI's efficacy but I don't think the picture is quite clear.

Then what would you attribute it to then? I find it hard to believe that increasing sensitivity to dopamine activity via 5-HT2A agonism and decreasing anxiety due to 5-HT1A partial agonism isn't the cause for LSD' therapeutic potential in treating depression along with probably a myriad of other effects on norepinephrine.

Psychedelic effects probably have more to do with 5-HT2A/mGlu2 heterodimers than 5-HT2A/D2 heterodimers, but while there may be various theories, my important point is to look beyond the topic of receptor homeostasis. Some correlative studies are examining effects on the subgenual cingulate.

Personally have taken large amounts of LSD for more than a year almost daily. And it worked for my depression and ADHD wonderfully, especially at first, it allowed me to have a long time possibility to work most of my issues without self-judgement, to view my life and my decisions unbiased, to directly question my actions if were they conscious or automatic - I became pretty good at it. I was also using meditation, sensory deprivation and extensive reading on according topics while taking LSD throughout the experiment.

But if you are deciding to do that, you should forget about having a regular job and performing lots of mundane tasks as they become completely referenceless in the condition of chronic LSD intake. I have stopped most of human connections and was very introspective, although highly lucid pretty much all the time. I became super sensitive to even a slightest change in human's behavior, I was overwhelmed to be in the society at times, although had a genuine interest in sharing my findings and communication was simply superb - I could see through people's minds and they felt it, simply amazing.

On the sour side, after a few months of almost daily LSD regimen I lost my normal sleep pattern and was sleeping about 4 hours a day, sweating profusely every night, which led me to discover that I have highly elevated prolactin and cortisol levels and eventually I felt my dopamine being quite low and started taking supplements to counteract that effect (Mucuna Pruriens was quite useful). Near the end of the experiment I also started feeling pretty intense, very detached from the world and somewhat delirious, I started to understand what is it like to be a schizophrenic and be misunderstood all your life...

All in all, I got a lot from that experiment. I have not observed any problems with heart or other organs but I'm thinking about doing a full heart checkup just to be sure.

Be safe! ;)