View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

1000 mg of DXM in an attempt to reach the 4th Plateau

MarcusJD9999

Bluelighter
I am planning on taking a dose of 1000 mg of DXM soon in hopes of experiencing the 4th plateau. I have done DXM many times in the past and have gone up to 600 and 700 mg. I'm not sure if I've reached the 4th plateau or not but I'm pretty sure I have the 3rd on 600 mg before. I weigh 150 is 1000 mg enough to reach the 4th plateau at my weight? Is this dose enough to cause permanent damage or onlely's lesions? I'm actually not too worried about the damage or the onley's lesions I will probably be fine.

I am just wondering if anybody else that is relatively close to my weight has experienced a dose of 1000 mg and what was the trip like an is it too unpleasant or not even worth considering at that dose? I mean will it not even be an amazing experience because of just blacking out and not even remembering the trip at the expense of ingesting such a high amount of plastic (robo gels and bad for liver and not even remember the trip after putting this much plastic in my body haha)? My main concern is if I will blackout and not even remember the trip at all. I might lay down and have a playlist of music ready when it starts to come up. Will I even be able to move at all? IF I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO EVEN MOVE DURING THE PEAK BECAUSE OF INTENSE DISSOCIATION THEN I MIGHT NOT EVEN TRY THIS DOSE. I'm not doing this just to get fucked up or just for recreation alone, I just want to try it for the experience and exploration of my mind an the 4th plateau.

If anyone has experience with this and knows anything about it then please let me know I would greatly appreciate it. If I am unable to move during the trip then I might not try it. Thanks!

Re evaluate your idea. Take the time and learn an extraction that can be found on this board. I thought the line " I'll probably be fine" although scientific , was funny. I have used plenty of DXM. Like heavy habit amount. First, you must get an experienced sitter. In the name of harm reduction, this is a must. That dose IMO is to high solo. The effects are different for each individual. I would expect some catatonia. I'd expect a blackout at some point. This is all subjective. What's your tolerance like? The sitter IMO is a must.

No, you haven't reached the fourth plateau before, you would definitely know, and your doses weren't as much as required to reach that level, but close. The fourth plateau begins at 800mg, and this can be a very scary experience for someone who has never dived into that side of DXM before, or someone with a low tolerance. How frequently do you dose? Hopefully not more than twice in two weeks. It's suggested to space out your trips to once every two weeks. Regarding Olney's lesions, I don't believe it's ever been documented that DXM causes those. Unless you are using frequently, don't worry about permanent damage, but I would worry about induced psychosis.

I have taken that step twice, once at 850mg and another at 1000mg in gels alone. I can't stand cough syrup. What effects did you notice from your third plateau trips? Many people don't like going too high, because what happens during the fourth plateau is the same regarding OBEs (if you reach that point, it is not uncommon) but the exact experience you will have is unknown. Perhaps you will experience ego death like I did, and not be able to feel your own heart beat, or have an alien encounter. I'll be surprised if you even remember your trip at all, as most people who reach this point don't. Fortunately, I did. On my 1000mg trip (by the way, do not exceed this dose, not by much if you do. You honestly should start off with something a little smaller, and definitely don't do over 1,200mg without access to a hospital)

My trip involved closing my eyes and seeing a kaleidoscope of colors and patterns, and when I opened my eyes the various pictures on my wall would appear so bright and vivid, a few times the color jumped off and came at me like it was 3-D. Double vision happened as well. Something interesting that happened was that I absolutely could not focus on someone's face. If I tried to look at someone for too long, their face would start to morph together into nothing but a blurry blob. I personally enjoyed this part the most, I remember laughing so hard at the morphing that'd I'd tear up. At one point I felt my heart going a bit fast, but it wasn't to the point of being uncomfortable. After taking some deep breaths and turning some dubstep on, I lost the sensation of my heart even beating at all. The dubstep that I was playing choreographed the CEVs I saw, all moving to the beat of the music.

I'm not going to go into it much more, but I personally was "stuck." As in, I didn't WANT to move, not that I couldn't. I just wanted to lie in bed and watch the colors dance under my eyelids. So, you might reach the point where you're just too involved in the trip to move. But be close to a bathroom; the higher the dose, the higher chance of nausea.

Please have someone with you incase things take a turn for the worst. The fourth plateau is nothing to mess around with, and you may jump too high that you can't come down at a normal pace.

To answer both of your questions regarding tolerance, I usually space my trips out between a month, and have taken up to 4 month breaks. Last month, I tripped about 3 times in that month, and have tripped more than once a month on several occasions but for the most part I only partake in the DXM experience once a month because I dig it, and I like to do it just for the experience. I don't know how my tolerance is honestly but I usually take around 300-600 mg, with 300 and 600 being my usual dose. I've taken DXM many times, too much to count at this point and at the beginning of this month tripped 3 times in one week, but I didn't like that and will never do it that close together again because it just ruins the magic.

I don't know how intense 1000 mg will be to someone with my tolerance, but I believe with my experience with DXM thus far that I am ready to take it up a notch and see more of what this drug has to offer (such as 4th plateau). Like I said, if I blackout and don't remember the experience then it is not worth it, especially not worth the effort my body must go through to digest so many gel caps in one night....

I will probably read up on it more and ask about it in other forums to get more insight before I do decide to take the dose. If anything, I will start with 800 mg because I may not have a trip sitter present. I would like to continue this conversation further and see where it goes if we can get more advice from more people/dex users.

You don't have to take gel caps alone. If you can't see yourself being able to stomach 67 cough gels (and I don't blame you, it wasn't too easy for me, nausea set in pretty quick) then why don't you try a bottle of syrup in with it, to reduce the amount of gels you have to take?

There's methods of extracting the DXM from the gels so you leave the inactive fillers/dyes behind, and you can extract it from the sugary syrup as well. UTSE if interested in this.

But if I may ask, how many times have you experienced the third plateau before? If you haven't reached that point too often, you may not be ready. If I were you I would not jump straight to 1,000mg. I would begin at 800mg, where the border crosses into the fourth plateau. This reduces your risks of blacking out or not remembering the trip, if you just barely reach it. I enjoy it honestly, I too have tripped more times than I can remember, but I'm sure all of those gels aren't too healthy for you, so I don't stray there often.

I agree, other Dextronauts need to chime in as well for this one. I always get a bit uncomfortable talking to someone about first-time experiences incase it goes wrong.

LandsUnknown, I'm not nervous. I'm actually pretty chill about it and am not worried about it. If I thought it would be too much of a jump, then all I would have to do is not go to that high of a dose just yet. If I feel it won't be too high of a jump, then I would, so what is their to worry about? It's not like I must take a really high dose I'm not yet prepared for against my will, what is their to be nervous about? That doesn't make sense in my perspective, if I don't think I will be ready for that jump, then I wont take that high of a dose yet, if i do, the. i will, simply put, no worries. I don't know if you read the whole post or not, but I've taken DXM many times and have done 600 mg (third plateau) many times as well, too many to remember to tell you exactly how much (Canabliss, this should answer your question on how many times I've gone to 3rd plateau).

It might be too intense, but at the same time, I might easily be able to handle it. Not about being nervous, just a general discussion on the topic and my main question is about if I will black out and not remember the experience, then it wouldn't even be worth it. If I get enough info about this dose not causing you to black out and you will remember it (otherwise it isn't even worth eating so many gels) then I might consider it. I might start with 800 or 900 and maybe go for 1000 later on. I have read trip reports of those who have taken 900 and even 1000 mg without a trip sitter and were fine. The 900s didn't blackout, but their weight was not given. It is hard to get an accurate assumption of how it will effect me if their weight isn't given.

Last edited:
Well, if you've tripped so often you can't remember, then you're probably mentally ready at that point. Other people may have been okay without a trip sitter, but I feel like it is just necessary for your first time because you will be so grateful if anything veers off course. If it helps any, I weigh 5 pounds less than you and I didn't experience a blackout, I'm also a female. Go with the less dose and take 800mg in the interests of keeping you as far away from harm as possible.

Canabliss, IF I had a trip sitter, I would go for the 1000 mg dose. But since I don't, I will start with 800 or 900, and If I can handle that without doing things that may require a trip sitter, then I will go for the 1000. Are you saying that when you didn't experience a blackout was this 1000 mg? If so how was your tolerance at the time and how long was this after your last dose? Thanks

I was going to start a new thread about this one but the moderators usually merge threads together at this kind of expense so I will probably post it here. Is 1000 my enough to cause you to get up and move around without you being conscious of it (such as when you are drunk and too fucked up to have any control over what you are doing)? Such as getting up and walking around and possibly falling on your face? I've read reports of such things as texting a friend without having any control over it at all how can that be?

Last edited:
When I say get up and walk around I mean without you actually choosing to get up and walk around, as in you consciously realize you are getting up and walking around, and so choose to do so after lying down.

If you don't have a trip sitter, start at the bare minimum. Just hope you can give someone a call if you need to. I didn't experience a blackout at 800 or 1000mg, but at that time I was doing DXM frequently, always doses of 450mg or more. The third plateau is my comfort zone. So my tolerance was quite high at the time, which is probably why I didn't cross the "highway" and had an actual OBE. It was 16 days after taking a 650mg dose, I believe.

I can't really answer your question about walking around and falling because everyone is different, I just didn't want to move at the state of mind I was in, but I'm sure it CAN be enough to walk around aimlessly. Balance was definitely an issue with me, but I always stumbled, never fell.

DXM IS a dissociative, so you're really not going to be in control of much at that dose. I would just make sure you don't have any objects lying around prior to dosing.

Are you saying you did have an OBE or did not? When I said not have control, I didn't mean trying to walk and stumbling around, I meant if you choose to lay down and not walk around in knowing that you are going to be all stumble and shit and choosing to lay down the majority of the experience because of this, AND STILL end up getting up and walking around without you knowing it or are conscious of it, such as when you get wasted and did stupid shit and did not remember it the next day? I honestly will probably skip out on the 1000 for now until I get a sitter and just go with 800 or 900 for now.

I plan on just laying down and listening to music at a dose that high and don't want to be so dissociated/drunk that I end up ruining the experience by being too drunk/dissociated to even experience the profoundness of the dxm that i am experiencing (for me dxm is usually profound and amazingly cool), and not remember it or get up moving around like a drunk when I just wanted to sit or lay down in meditation, basically.

I was saying I didn't have one probably due to the fact that I had been using so frequently.

You're most likely going to be in control of yourself if you go start low, good idea by the way. You can't really go wrong with laying down and turning on some dubstep, and you will enjoy it, for some reason regular rock/rap music sounds very disoriented and "off" to me on DXM. Never could figure out why.

I took almost a gram of DXM once. Long story short, I blacked out completely for like 6-8 hours. I can't say I'd recommend it.

I'm not sure exactly what it was that drove me from my initial dose of 450mg to a dose of almost twice that much (950mg or so.) Maybe it was the residual 'not-give-a-fuck'ness from taking benzos the night before. Maybe it was a misunderstanding of the effects of DXM in that dosage range. It was probably both.

I remember feeling pretty amazing on the comeup, and then boom. Nothing. For hours. When I 'came to', I sobered up relatively quickly. This is the only part of the trip that had those awesome dream like state CEV's that you can get from dex, but I was too distracted by how far I'd actually gone to come back with anything meaningful. According to my sober trip sitter, I was very clearly fucked up but spent a good portion of the trip lying down on my friends bed. When I'd started returning to consensus reality, I couldn't verbalize my thoughts in any coherent manner, which led him (among the other sitters) to worry that I wasn't going to come back. I did eventually, but the comedown was long and hard, and the next day DXM hangover was pretty rough.

I haven't taken it beyond 600mg past then, because I feel that that dose plus weed and nitrous is enough to get me to where I want to be without some seriously nasty side effects in the morning. If you want to play around with a higher dose like 700mg or 800mg and just slowly incrementally work your way up. I've found that with dissociatives, there is a very thin line between dosages that produce 'peak' experiences (meeting aliens, etc) and dosages that result in total blackout/amnesia.

You're gonna end up doing what you want to do anyway, but I hope you read my post and heed my advice, since almost every experience I've read involving a gram or more of DXM ends in the user blacking out and acting like a zombie for the majority of the trip.

If you tried 700mg last time, I wouldn't make the jump from 700 to 1000mg just because you 'feel ready.' Try 750-800mg and add some nitrous oxide and THC in the mix and I'd think that would be plenty, if not more than enough.

My last dose was around 600 mg. I will heed all of your advice and I am 100% sure that I won't be taking the 1000 mg dose. I probably have some-what of a tolerance but nothing too high. I will most likely take a dosage of 800 mg. Yes the DXM CEV's are amazing I B Profane. Unfortunately I can't smoke THC right now until a couple more months, and I added nitrous to a 600 mg trip before and it was intense at first but them I just calmed down and stopped acting like it was intense and it wasn't...I might try some nitrous with the 800 but I probably won't need it.

LandsUnknown, if I hadn't done DXM many many times before and the last time was 600 mg and was only a month ago, then I might need a sitter but since I am familiar with DXM and don't have a completely fresh tolerance and am not going for the 1000 I believe I won't need a sitter, I just don't see me needing one. 800 mg is only a 200 mg jump from 600 mg but Who knows it might be a big jump. Not having a sitter (with the info mentioned above) is a risk I am willing to take at 800 mg. Also, I will not be up and walking around, I will be laying down and won't get up until after I've come down to not be dissociated enough to where I can barely walk. I've had this before on 600 mg where walking was difficult but if I walked in very slow motion, I could actually manage to make it up my steps, though it was a challenge, slow mo made it easy.

Thanks for the advice.

I took 780 mg. I would say it was a mid to upper third plateau, def not 4th. I could actually get up and walk around without too much trouble.

Smart that you are proceeding with these incremental dosages :)

The grapefruit juice makes things hard to quantify, it's very hard to accurately predict / understand potentiation - unless you would titrate and tune otherwise steady experiments. But just adding it to the mix is a wildcard, unpredictable.

Same for DPH or such combinations. If you are taking quite high doses, keep things simple - makes it way less unsafe or unpredictable, and you can't afford having things that way at such high dosages.

Yeah I decided not to take the grapefruit juice. The 780mg was intense but not really THAT intense or too much. I can't really say if it's the highest I've ever been but it could have been, but not too sure. It did last a long time though and the next day I felt physically lazy. Next time I might go for 1000 but I might not bother with DXM for another couple months I feel I really need to let my mind recover from that.