• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

10 yearopiate addiction - 10 weeks sober but still pysically feel withdrawal?

The-Opiate-Rush

Bluelighter
I was addicted to poppy pods for ten years and i am 10 weeks completely sober and while i feel withdrawal has decreased i still feel unwell yawns, streching and general malaise. i also have a slight tremor in my left hand. i dont now if i have some disease that has been masked by taking opiates but i am worried. I also have anxiety all day every day but that sounds like paws. My tremor is only when i tense my hand, when relaxed its fine. I still feel like im dragging my body around, feel generally unwell and achy. Is it possible to still feel pysical symptoms after all this time. There isnt alot about pysical symptoms this far into absisitence on the net.

Totally normal in your situation man. Ten year addiction to poppy seeds is serious. Poppy seeds are a really tough opiate to come off of as I have found out through reading and seeing someone close to me go through it. Post acute withdrawal is going to happen, but you are almost at the three month mark which is certainly something to celebrate.

Those withdrawals last forever. Not forever but you know what I am saying. It can feel like forever. Out of curiosity how much were you going through in a day? It's such a pain having to wash those seeds every time you need a fix, I'm wondering how you managed haha. Also how did you quit? Did you pull it off cold turkey or taper or use suboxone?

If you are that concerned about the tremor I wouldn't hesitate to get checked out by a doctor.

So i was doing the actual pods ground up, not the seeds. It was exhausting. i just had to get on with it. Up to two pints a day towards the end. In November i came off pods completely and started 14 DHC 30mg tabs twice a day. Three monhs later i got to 1 tab four times a day and then went cold turkey. Is it possible that even though i came off pods to DHC, the majority of the time i was on pods so my body still acts like i never took the dhc because i caused so much damage taking a long acting opiate.

I know it was a serrious addiction and these symptoms are identical to the ones i would get, then i would take an opiate and they would fade away, but you never ever really hear about physical wd symptoms months later. All i read is paws. And dont get me started on movies, 5 days and they are normal again. Even online, ive found like one thread on it but most dont complain of wd three months later unless they are paws.

So do you think the tremor is asociated with the symptoms as well. I cant believe how shitty i feel. Thanks for replying. I asked on another forum like a month ago and they said the same thing, but now its ten weeks instead of 6, i think maybe theres something wrong with me.

I can't even begin to imagine how tough it was to quit after 10 years of use-- that takes a lot of strength and willpower. If the withdrawals continue for the next couple weeks without letting up at all, you should definitely go see a doctor about it. There's no shame in seeking help. Especially for something that you've almost completely fought off on your own.

Good luck and stay safe. I hope things work out for you.

So it's definatley withdrawals? I don't know what to do. I'm so tired of this. It's hard to function. Even if I was to tell the doctor everything, what would they give me? I've come this far. There's no medication that can make you feel better. I would never go doctors anyway as I done this well so far but I'm mentally exhausted.

I'm still very much a new member here, but I've read the words "comfort meds " hundreds of times already. I know from experience that clonidine works great, as well as Ativan and Zolfran. If you could get just those for a while you would feel good enough to eat properly, get good sleep and the skin crawling feeling would go away. Mine were prescribed for 3 weeks while they took me off one set of opiates and slowly put me on another set. Oh, I've read gabapentin helps tremendously also.

You were addicted to opium for a long time so please don't give up now. It will get better.

One caveat..you know benzos cause their own withdrawal but I still feel the need to say be careful. I took 3 mgs a day of ativan for 3 weeks and no withdrawal. I'm not sure how your body would react but even if you took a benzo just at night it would help.

Congratulations on doing a difficult withdrawal without help. I doubt I will be that strong if and when my doctor moves on and I'm without my pain meds.

Ask for help. A doctor would help you since you aren't asking for an opiate.

Ye it's just comfort meds was supposed to be for the first few weeks. How much longer would I need them for. I want to function as a normal human being. I just don't know how much longer this will last. Everyday is the same as the last.

I'm tempted to take an Imodium as its not supposed to cross bbb n see if wd subside. If they do then I know one hundred percent its withdrawal. I don't know what to do.

Well, if you still feel the need for comfort meds there is nothing wrong with that. I knew a few people who got off of heroin by using tramadol for a few weeks. It can cause withdrawal but not in the short term. Take what you need to get through this. I've read, on this forum, that members had withdrawal symptoms on and off for months. You had a 10 year habit, it isn't going to just disappear in a few weeks, you know?

I've never had to use Imodium but it seems to be a wonder drug for severe withdrawal. But they take huge amounts of it so read about it on here to see how much to start with.

I really feel for you because I know this is gonna to happen to me in the next few years. My doctor is semi retired and I'm on Methadone, oxyIR, hydrocodone and klonopin. It's gonna get bad. I will search out every comfort med I can find without shame. I'll probably use tramadol to help and any benzo I can get plus clonidine and blood pressure medicine. I'm on verapamil but I'll get a stronger blood pressure medicine to help.

All I'm trying to say is take what you need to get through it, try to eat healthy, take vitamins or buy those drinks that older people drink that have all the vitamins and protein you need.

There's no shame in your game. Do what you need to feel better without going back to opium or another strong pain med.
And good luck. Keep posting on what you are doing and how you are feeling. It not only helps you, but helps others going through this.

its hard to say if its paws or not...i always heard that paws was a mental deal but apparently it can manifest physically, not as bad as the acute stage but the same set of symptoms. i was clean 7 months after spending 6 years bouncing around dope and subs, and in that 7 months i didnt do shit, no weed, nothing...and i was more or less dopesick the entire time. it wasnt to the point where i couldnt function, i was just always uncomfortable, cold, sweaty, still yawning and tearing, etc. everyday for 7 months...that shit wears on you. point is, it could be some fucked up variant of paws that could drag on for years, could be something underlying, could have damaged something in your brain, whos to say. everyone will tell you itl eventually get better but its hard to be optimistic when youre still paying your dues months later. chin up tho, its easier to be happier sober even if youre not 100%.

If I was to take a codeine pill will I be undoing all the work I have done? I want to take something to see if symptoms subside because I'm scared I've got multiple sclerosis with these symptoms. I'm not going to start taking shit again. I've had pills in my room for three months and have not touched them. I just want to put my mind at rest. Will I be drastically slowing down progress?

it could set you back - it's hard to say. If i were you, i'd try loperaminde before codeine. It could throw you back into habituation.
A lot of people get significant help from lyrica - or phenibut, (possibly to a lesser extent)

It' hard to say.
What sort of doses were you taking? Pod tea makes poppy seed tea look like child's play - and if you saw the thread of the poor guy coming off pst, it can take a really really long time.
If you were taking huge doses (like...ounces of ground pods) it could be really prolonged withdrawal.

Any chance of seeing a doctor? I'm sure they can assuage (or - hopefully not - confirm) your fears.

I refuse to tell doctor about addiction so what am I going to say to them. It's like I'm going to talk in riddles. I was doing lots but since November I was doing dhc. So that's ages since I was taking pods. I don't know if that because I was taking so much for so long it's causing this.

It could be, and i understand about the not wanting to tell doctors about your drug use thing.
Unfortunately (or fortunately?) in my case, that was taken out of my hands at one point and i had to seek treatment for various health (mental and physical) issues relating to drug abuse and addiction - so i got to discuss things honestly with people that could help.
Maybe you could ask for some blood tests anyway - you could have any number of issues from viruses to mineral defficies that could be hindering your recovery - so it can't hurt to get some tests; they're very unlikely to test you for drugs - i'd almost guarantee from experience that they won't.
It might give you some peace of mind - when i used pod tea i had a really compromised immune system, and got really sick from viruses a few times.