1=0 or God is Everything and Nothingness

DustOff - "god is the universe" is different from "god made the universe and everything in it"....

Its not that God needs to, but rather God chooses too.
The answer to your question lies in the difference between having sex and remembering sex.
Love,
Pure
------------------
Intelligence is not best measured by the answers you have but by the questions that you ask

The words used to define god seem to be the inadequate representation of a form of ideas that are associated with the word "God". Such a play on words means "God created the universe" and "God is the universe" are in fact the same thing. Depending on what your experiences define the above statements as.
"God is the irrational, the intangible, the non-intellectual"

in the words of one bluelighter
"there is no God, and Murphy is his Prophet"
seriously though, if there is a higher plan, whether it be destiny, fate, or whatever you wish to call it, and god controlls these things, then how can we have free will, i could go out and kill anyone i liked with the excuse that it was gods plan, and that He wanted me to do the killing and that He wanted them to experience the pain of being killed. This is extreme i know, but just an example.......

Its not that God needs to, but rather God chooses too.
The answer to your question lies in the difference between having sex and remembering sex.
I really like that one a lot Purist.
smile.gif

pomo wrote:
But, if nothing DOES exist (and it does, because otherwise, how could you think about it?), then everything CANNOT. But they both do exist, so they must be one and the same.
This argument is flawed. I can imagine some pretty weird shit, but it doesn't mean that it exists in reality. It is the concept of nothingness that exists. Through observation, we notice the bits and pieces of "everything" first hand. Since we also have a concept of duality, (good/bad, white/black, yin/yang) this is where we derive our concept of nothingness from.
"Nothingness" itself, being in existense, would be an oxymoron I believe. It can't be treated as an entity, or as something tangible. It just is.
ouch. my brain hurts now.
------------------
"Don't do what Donny Don't does."
-May you spend half an hour in heaven before the devil knows you're dead...

BTW - 0=1 is not proveable it is like saying a stick of unit lenght (lets say for arguements sake a ruler) is equivalent to no ruler at all.
nothing can be used in many ways - take for instance a room devoid of furnishings - if someone asks you what is in that room - most respond "nothing" even though many things are currently in the room.

I was taught this "proof." If I remember it correctly, i'll post it up. However, it caught a good majority of math teachers off guard, even if it is incorrect.
If i remember correctly, one of the steps involves dividing a variable with another variable, but does not account that one of the variables can equal zero.
------------------
[This message has been edited by ice-9 (edited 29 January 2001).]

There is no flaw in the argument if you assume that anything you can imagine might exist--this may be, in fact, the only way to imagine the concept of "everything" (and everything includes thoughts, not just actual physical entities). That is, since you obviously can't think of everything, you must make a huge jump from thinking of everything you can to the infinite possibilities that exist outside of even your boundaried, and thus flawed, imagination.
And because people feel a need to dichotomize does NOT make it a proper, logical way of thinking. In fact, many problems (e.g. racism, sexism) are caused by this very human need to see things in black and white. Another human way of thinking: the need for a BEGINNING and an END. My life begins...my life ends; the universe began...and it will end, et cetera.
Now, get rid of notions of dichotomy and of beginnings/endings. What's left? Perhaps that nothing=everything, because there is no beginning nor end to everything. And if everything has no end, nothing cannot have a beginning. Or, conversely, if nothing has no beginning (or it would be something), it does not exist. Or does it, as per my previous post? Maybe toss in a little quantum physics and say that there exists a duality of (nothing/everything).
Now, how's your head?

Dustoff, First... my whole theory revolves around the premise that everything in the universe is God, so if we are God, and God is making the plan, then its still free will.
Secondly, because choices are made at a higher level of conciousness, it does not absolve us from the consequences of our actions. In fact, in order to get in tune with higher conciousness, to experience it, one of the best ways is to make every action a concious one. I personally strive for a point where every single breathe is a conciouss choice.
Some of the things God chooses to experience are things that can only be experienced through the viel of illusion. By experiencing life as a seperate individual.
Because God is all there is, there can be no right or wrong, because the only thing there is to harm is ourself. HOWEVER, all actions have consequences. Every action. And ultimately, the things we give to others, we give to ourselves as well. Example...Who are the people you have known who were truly happy? Were they nice or mean?
So even if God has chosen for ever outside influence in your life, to turn you into some hateful, malignant, sadistic person. It is still your choice each and every time you act. You can live a life of abuse and hate everyone in the world, but choose to force yourself to be nice to them. And eventually, you will reap the benefits of doing that.
There is no right or wrong, only actions with consequences.
Love,
Pure
------------------
Intelligence is not best measured by the answers you have but by the questions that you ask

right and wrong do exist, but only as and extention of our predjudices. action and reacton/cause and consequence are interpreted by us and naturally fall under a category or right or wrong. alternately, they fall under the category of neutral, and then most people wouldnt even bother thinking about it because "thats just the way it is".
A theory from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy:
Population of the Universe = 0
there is an infinite number of worlds simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to exist in. there is a finite number of populated worlds, for not all worlds are contain life. any finite number, divided by an infinite number, concludes to as close to 0 as makes no difference, and therefore the population of the universe is zero, and anyonce u meet and interact with, is a figment of your deranged imagination.
This is a flawed theory, i know. but based on this, the entire universe exists only in MY mind and you all are just extentions of my desire for experience. Therefore, if the universe in its entirety is contained within my mind, there is no separtaion between me and any possible god, i am god, and there is no other. hmmm......it is early in the morning....goodnight.
------------------
"DJs are like shamans, forging musical paths to other realms....."
[This message has been edited by Dustoff (edited 30 January 2001).]

pomo: point well taken.
I'd post a more intelligent response but i'm well stoned right now.
------------------

*Bump*
I dug this up for Lilhighguy and remembered how much fun I had with this post so I thought I'd bring it back to light again.
Love,
Pure
------------------

Too early in the morning to read about philosophy... but all I can say is in mathematics, a 'number field' (in linear algebra) becomes a 'paddoc' if 0=1. I know this has probably nothing to do with the rest of the thread but I had to write it.