• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

“Substance Abuse” Is a Label We Should All Reject & The End of the Addict

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Sorry if this was already posted. Didn't see it and thought they were great articles.
“Substance Abuse” Is a Label We Should All Reject - http://www.substance.com/abuse/
The End of the Addict - http://www.drugpolicy.org/blog/end-addict

“Substance Abuse” Is a Label We Should All Reject
There is clear evidence that the phrases "substance abuse" and "substance abuser" harm, as well as disparage, people with addiction. It's time to ditch these terms.

Maia Szalavitz | March 24 said:
“Abuse” is an ugly word. “Child abuse,” “sexual abuse,” “physical abuse,” “emotional abuse,” “domestic abuse.” And then, of course, there’s “substance abuse.”

But one of those things is not like the others: In all of the other types of abuse, there is a perpetrator who is harming a victim. In substance abuse, however, it makes no sense to argue that the victim is the poor innocent line of methamphetamine or glass of Chardonnay. The damage done—both by the problem and by the term—is focused primarily on substance users themselves. The label is far from innocuous, and I vote that we retire it.

Debates over language often seem absurd or trivial. However, they make a difference in how issues are framed and therefore what solutions are proposed. Frame addiction as “substance abuse” and it is easy to see why it should be a crime, but call it “substance use disorder” and it sounds like something to be treated medically. If we want to make progress in ending stigma, we should think hard about the words we use.

In the case of “substance abuse,” there is empirical evidence of the harm that this framing can do. In a 2010 study, researchers surveyed over 500 mental health practitioners at a conference—two thirds of whom had PhDs. Participants were asked to determine treatment for two hypothetical patients who were identical except that one was labeled as having a “substance use disorder” and the other was said to be a “substance abuser.”

Despite their training, the practicing clinicians favored a more punitive approach when the patient—who was described as having relapsed during court-ordered treatment—was labeled as being an abuser as opposed to having a disorder. More clinicians supported jail or community service rather than further treatment for the “substance abuser.”

This is one reason why the recent revision of the DSM—psychiatry’s diagnostic manual—no longer includes “substance abuse” as a diagnosis. The term brings up stigmatizing associations between abusive behavior and drug taking—even though the vast majority of people with drug problems do not engage in child abuse, sexual abuse or domestic violence. While the DSM revision made many mistakes—for example, it conflates the milder substance-problem diagnosis with the more severe one (mild problems do not require abstinence and the last thing we need is more reason to apply “one size fits all” treatment in this area), the editors were right to get rid of the abuse label.

But there is another reason why labeling someone a “substance abuser” or as having a “substance use disorder” matters. That is, the “substance abuser” label encompasses the whole person, defining him or her by dysfunction. In contrast, the ”substance use disorder” tag simply describes one problem, rather than an entire identity.

It will be hard to get rid of a term that is so ubiquitous that it is enshrined in the name of the research agency of the federal government that studies drugs (the National Institute on Drug Abuse, natch) and in the most popular (though actually ineffective) prevention program, DARE, or Drug Abuse Resistance Education. But advocates in other areas have managed to remove many other similarly common and—dare I say—abusive terms from public dialogue and polite company.

Advocates for people with mental illness have long argued for language that puts “people first”: In this case that would mean that instead of using the terms “addict” or “alcoholic,” use “person with addiction” or “person with alcoholism.” While in principle I agree, in practice I occasionally slip because the phrase makes for clunky language. Still, I think that using “people first” language forces the writer think about stigma and how they are portraying their subjects. While it probably has a less conscious effect on readers, it at least subliminally asserts the fact that those who suffer from these effects are human. We have been seen as objects by other people for too long.

As much as anything, having a politically correct term for a condition chosen by those affected also signals that our activism is coming of age and gaining power. (For example, ironically many autistic people actually reject the “person first” approach and prefer the term “autistics” because they do believe that their condition defines their identity—and the media is beginning to use this language as activists have spoken out about it.)

People with addiction also need to think hard about other language we use. Take the terms “junkie” or “dope fiend.” I think they are acceptable only if used ironically or by people who have addictions—just as stigmatizing words for black people or gay people are only acceptable when used by members of those groups. I also believe that when we use these terms about ourselves, we need to consider their implications: Am I using this word because it is the right one for the situation or because I still have remnants of the self-hate that the stigma of addiction exacerbates?

If we want to be understood as patients with an illness like any other, careful use of language is essential—as is making sure we do not inadvertently further stigmatize ourselves. For example, consider the commonplace assumption that addiction is always accompanied by compulsive lying and other criminal behavior.

In fact, many people with addictions do not lie except when it comes to hiding their condition—and some do not dissemble even then if the conditions of their life permit this. Research shows that addicted people tell the truth about their use (as correlated with objective measures like urine tests) so long as acknowledging their use will not be used against them. The connection between addiction and lying is in part an artifact of the criminalization of some drugs. The rest of the link can be accounted for by the fact that people with personality disorders like antisocial personality disorder are not only more likely to become addicted and more likely to be criminals, but more likely to be compulsive liars.

The same is true for the link between violence and drug problems: Violence among drug users is linked to drug prohibition, antisocial personality disorder and to having grown up with violence, not addiction per se. Most drugs—with the exception of alcohol—are not themselves pharmacologically linked with violence, and when they are, the perpetrator almost always has a prior history of it. Addiction doesn’t typically make people into unrecognizable monsters: It exaggerates the problems they already have.

If we want to fight addiction, then, it is important that we separate out the contribution of addictive disorders to the problems seen in people with addictions. Addictions are not caused by “character defects” and they don’t call forth immoral behavior from out of the blue. The way to start is by being careful about what we call ourselves, about what we see as the essential characteristics of addiction and how we understand our condition.
http://www.substance.com/abuse/

The End of the Addict
I’m breaking up with the word "addict" and I hope you’ll do the same.

Meghan Ralston |March 24 said:
“Addict’” is one of those words that so many of us use, largely without pausing to wonder if we should. We just take for granted that it’s totally okay to describe a human being with one word, “addict”—a word with overwhelmingly negative connotations to many people.

We don’t really do that for other challenging qualities that can have a serious impact on people's lives. We don’t say, “my mother, the blind,” or “my brother, the bipolar.” We don’t say, “my best friend, the epileptic,” or “my nephew, the leukemia.”

We don’t do that because we intuitively understand how odd it would sound, and how disrespectful and insensitive it would be. We don’t ascribe a difficult state as the full sum of a person’s identity and humanity. Maia Szalavitz eloquently expressed similar frustration with terms like “substance abuser” in her recent piece at substance.com. [3]

When we do feel the need to reference a state of disability, challenge or disease when describing a human being, we say something like, “my mother has cancer,” or “my nephew has leukemia.” And we would almost certainly never let that be the only thing said about that person, something that defined them. We do not say or suggest that a person is their challenge. We remember that they are a person first, then if appropriate indicate their challenge as one factor of their existence.

Why can't we be that intelligently sensitive with people struggling with drugs [4]?

For many people, myself included, the word “addict” is incredibly harmful and offensive. You do not have my permission to call me an addict. You can of course refer to yourself as an addict, if you wish, but please do not refer to everyone physically or psychologically dependent on drugs as “an addict.”

The sense of fear, loathing, otherness and “less than” created by that word far outweighs any benefits of using linguistic shorthand to quickly describe a person. “Addict” is a word so singularly loaded with stigma and contempt that it’s somewhat appalling that we continue to let it be used so easily and indiscriminately.

Even in a chaotic stage of drug use, we are not “other.” We are women, we are someone’s daughter, we continue to laugh, we continue to like jazz and cheeseburgers and comfy pajamas. We cry, we get so lonely, we hate sitting in traffic. Addiction can be wretched, no question, but we do not ever stop being human beings, even during the times in our lives when we are dependent on drugs.

I may be in the fight of my life with drugs, but I am not the drugs that I take. I am a fighter, a survivor -- I am never merely “an addict.” Please do not destroy the totality of who I am by reducing me to that one word. We retain our full humanity despite our challenges, particularly when our challenges are much deeper than our attention-grabbing drug use might suggest.

My days of chaotic substance abuse are long behind me. I am not “an addict” now, and I wasn’t “an addict” then. I’m just a person, who had a period of difficulty, pain and challenge. I battled, I failed, I tried again—just like most people.

Why not try using any of the following as alternatives to calling someone “an addict”: person dependent on drugs; people struggling with drugs; person in recovery from addiction. The use of person-centric language [5] may seem inconsequential, but I assure you, it is not. It is vitally important to scores of people, most of whom you’ve never met and never will. They are the people who, in the eyes of the world, are lumped into that “other” category you’ve created for them by calling them “an addict.”

They don’t want to be there anymore. I’m hoping to tell their story with this blog post. We’ve been silent too long. We’ve had enough. Please—put our humanity first.

Please stop using the word "addict."
http://www.drugpolicy.org/blog/end-addict

Good stuff - the power of language is too often underestimated.

We need to reclaim the adjectives thrown at us, or reject and supplant them with better, more empowered terms.

For years, every time I've heard someone muttering the words "drug abuse," it has typically resulted in me feeling extremely frustrated.

I ask myself, "where's the logic in such a term?"

The issue I have with the word "abuse" is that, I've been led to understand that it's supposed to be short for "abnormal use."

Well, fine. But what in the blue fuck is so abnormal about, for example, somebody deciding to use (smoke) a little marijuana, or opium after a hard day's work? Why this is considered to be "drug abuse" is something I never understood.

Is it because the drug is being victimized? Or is it because I'm using the drug in question without the supervision of an "expert?"

Don't tell me that it's actually due to the fact that I'm engaging in an activity despite the fact that it may be causing me more harm than good, because then I could point the finger at countless smokers, drinkers, binge eaters, gamblers, and so forth.

So, unless you wanna start telling millions of soon-to-be pissed off Americans that they can no longer legally consume tobacco, alcoholic beverages, and several types of popular American "fast food" meals due to short and long term health risks, kindly, fuck off.

Indeed, I have been trying to steer clear of the term "abuse" in relation to a recreational drug for a while, because it never made much sense to me. Plus, it sort of trivialized the physical abuse I suffered at the hands of my uncle when in elementary school; or the domestic abuse a battered-and-bruised faithful wife may have sustained at the hands of her destined-to-be severely beaten significant other.

Moving on then to the other overused term in the futile war on drugs: "addict" (or its adjective and verb counterparts, "addicting," as well as, "addictive.")

It's been quite sad to witness how often; how easily; how excessively it's used - by people who should have no business using it no less (most of the time at least).

Guarantee you that all it takes is a one-time use of a popular street drug to be made known, and the presiding doctor of medicine will waste no time slapping that "addict" label on you. Oh, and it doesn't come off, as I learned the hard way. A decade later and I'm still treated like a second-rate citizen at the local hospital.

My oh my, I cannot even believe that I'm actually reading about this (very pleasantly surprised).

With each passing week, another domino falls in the right direction. I know there are constantly setbacks. These assholes are putting up the fight of their lives. But, in the long run, we are slowly making progress. And you guys are making a difference.

Keep up the good work everyone!

P.S. - Thanks for linking these articles toothpastedog - they really made my day (I had hoped to see something like this one day in the future, but never so soon) =D

Last edited:
^ "drug abuse" is most certainly a phrase coined by the "war on drugs" crusaders.
Personally, I've always resented it because I am very kind to drugs, generally.

P.S. - Thanks for linking these articles toothpastedog - they really made my day (I had hoped to see something like this one day in the future, but never so soon) =D

Awesome! You are very welcome :) <3

These articles really pleased me too when I ran across them last week. I've used them as a conversation started in one of the classes I run. Great material to start meaningful discussions and conversations. It's not the first of it's kind, for sure, but I agree that it seems that I've been seeing more and more of these most reasonable sort of arguments being made in the last couple years, especially recently. Hope it's not just a passing thing or a fad or something. Too important to let slip by!

I use the term drug abuse quite often, but not synonymously with the term drug use.
In my eyes there are drug abusers and drug users.
When I go on a week long k binge and devour 10 grams up my nose, I have no problem or shame calling that drug abuse.

wtf is the point of drugs if you arent getting high off them?

I can’t really see a problem with the term drug abuse, I just feel it’s over used and used in the wrong context.

Drug abuse to me is when someone abuses themselves because of drugs. When someone gets to the point where their drug use is causing them physical or mental harm either directly or indirectly(I.E. not taking care of your health or eating properly because you are spending your money on drugs instead etc). Just the same way as a morbidly obese person is abusing themselves by over eating or an anorexic person is abusing themselves by not eating.

I can guarantee I abuse drugs. I am also an addict. There is no label that is going to change the fact that my day to day life is governed by substances.

I can’t really see a problem with the term drug abuse, I just feel it’s over used and used in the wrong context.

That's one of the problems with the concept of "drug abuse". It's slapped onto anyone caught "unlawfully" consuming a controlled substance - even if it's their first time. Somehow, the majority of drinkers and smokers get away with this.

Folley said:
I can guarantee I abuse drugs. I am also an addict. There is no label that is going to change the fact that my day to day life is governed by substances.

Would you consider your use of mind-altering substances to be abnormal?

I don't pretend to know you Folley, but perhaps subconsciously, your drug use is a response to chronic and painful or distressing experiences. If so, is your drug use still so abnormal? I believe the abnormal thing to do would be to suffer in silence until you suffer a heart attack from all the stress due to the pain. That doesn't mean that I believe drugs are completely safe - not at all. However, where do you draw the line? More importantly, who gets to draw it for you? Some "expert" who may have no clue how you really feel?

-------------------------------------------

With respect to "drug abuse" meaning to consume recreational psychotropic substances even though the user knows beyond a reasonable doubt that it's causing more harm than benefit to his or her body - I find it painfully obvious that (even after all this time) drug prohibitionists have refrained from dubbing the consumption of tobacco products as "drug abuse," yet, the opposite is true for less toxic substances - such as cannabis.

Would you consider your use of mind-altering substances to be abnormal?

Yes. I spend all my money on weed, think about tripping nearly everyday... I've taken substances most people have never heard of and fried my brain down to it's last receptor. MDMA abuse has caused me MUCH more trouble than it has done good, I will likely deal with the long term consequences of that for the rest of my life. I most certainly am an addict. I haven't gone a single day without smoking weed in 4 years. When I don't have it, I become extremely agitated and anxious and can hardly function.

I abuse drugs.. there is no way around that. I hope I wouldn't be judged for a vice that effects the majority of the population but there can be no end to addiction as long as I'm still addicted.

Simply outstanding that this type of thing is circulating in the world.
I am a language person, so to me this is extremely important.

Folley, you may have an imbalanced relationship with drugs, and you may give up your own power for drugs, and you may feel like you cannot stop, but you are not "abusing" drugs in the way that a child abuser abuses a child.

Who is claiming that it is, though? I would say it's rather well known to anyone who has any stake in medicine at all that the main victim is the user himself.

Looking at the definition of abuse, however:

Abuse is the improper usage or treatment of an entity, often to unfairly or improperly gain benefit.

The entity is myself, or the drugs, and the "gain" is the euphoria that I seek everyday.

Other definitions:
To use wrongly or improperly
to treat in a harmful, injurious, or offensive way
to maltreat, esp physically or sexually

The medical definition:
To use wrongly or improperly; misuse.
To hurt or injure physically by maltreatment.
Improper use or handling, as of a drug; misuse.

I misuse substances everyday, physically and mentally harming myself in the process. Just because I'm not effecting other people doesn't mean I'm not abusing myself. It's good that someone is taking a stance that is supportive of addicts but to say that people don't abuse drugs is taking things too far in the wrong direction, IMO. Addiction is real, many people suffer from it on a daily basis. Instead of trying to cover the truth to make a certain population look better, we need to work with the facts to create ways with which we can make an addict's life better, so he won't "need" the drugs he always comes back to.

Exactly as Folley has stated.
When I abuse drugs, most often ketamine, I don't do it simply just for recreational effect, it's a want to satisfy an always present craving.
It helps me forget about anxiety for awhile, and if I'm in a period of self-loathing, it helps me numb and forget myself entirely.
My use isn't purely recreational, and I think of doing ketamine every damn day, but have manage to limit myself to once or twice every week or two, although it hasn't been easy.
For that I would definitely consider myself an abuser of drugs, rather than using them for possible recreational or spiritual purposes, or in a controlled therapeutic sense.
Although I technically use for majorly a therapeutic reason, it is not controlled and my use of the drug is not controlled, and therefore can be considered abuse.

I'm with slimvictor; I see "abuse" as a bastardisation of the term, borne out of prohibition.
ro4eva's example (comparing the "use" of tobacco with "abuse" of cannabis) illustrates this perfectly.

Abuse is the improper usage or treatment of an entity, often to unfairly or improperly gain benefit.
The problem is that using drugs is not improper, and the benefits we gain are not unfair.
Those are myths created by the drug war.
Using drugs is perfectly proper, and the benefits are completely fair.
Nobody says "your SAT results don't count because you drank coffee beforehand".

What you are describing, Folley, is abusing yourself, not the drugs.

Although I technically use for majorly a therapeutic reason, it is not controlled and my use of the drug is not controlled, and therefore can be considered abuse.
Toastie, you are describing "out of control" use, and while you may be abusing yourself (though it sounds like you are using K in a pretty balanced way compared to some), you are not hurting the ketamine at all.

^ Again.. no one is claiming that we're "hurting" the drugs.. we are using the drugs as a catalyst to "abuse" ourselves. Notalluse is improper (I would say the majority is not, especially in a medical setting) but I think you're going to be hard fucking pressed to convince anyone that a crack head is not misusing cocaine.

There is no part of the definition of abuse that says it needs to happen to another person. In fact it's very well known that people mentally and verbally abuse themselves... why can't the same be true with drugs? Not everyone uses substances with discretion. Many people KNOW what they are doing is harmful to themselves and they continue anyway. Obviously this sets in in different ways, and I feel that to classify someone who used heroin to treat pain as a "drug abuser" is a breach of human ethics. But there are people who use heroin who have never been in serious pain.. they chase only after the euphoria, the thrill of the high. Hell there's people who don't even get high anymore and still spend their money on heroin everyday. Distinctions need to be made between these two types of users instead of classing them all under the demonizing term that is "addict"; but to say that drug abuse doesn't exist is simply denying the truth for personal gain (the "Pro-Drugs" conundrum) ... an "abuse" of information, if you will.

and.. to be clear. My medical record indicates that I am a Poly-substance drug user. I'm likely never to get "narcotics" prescribed, even if I'm in serious need of them... So if I'm biased at all it's in the opposite direction of the points I've been making.

^ Again.. no one is claiming that we're "hurting" the drugs.. we are using the drugs as a catalyst to "abuse" ourselves. Notalluse is improper (I would say the majority is not, especially in a medical setting) but I think you're going to be hard fucking pressed to convince anyone that a crack head is not misusing cocaine.

There is no part of the definition of abuse that says it needs to happen to another person. In fact it's very well known that people mentally and verbally abuse themselves... why can't the same be true with drugs?

Well, when people abuse children, they are not suffering the abuse themselves - the children are.
When people abuse themselves, we say "he abused himself", but we need the word "himself" to be the object of the sentence. So your question about whether it needs to happen to another person is not the right question. The right question is whether the object of the sentence is always the victim of the abuse. Let me explain.

There is part of the definition of "abuse" that goes like this (based on what you quoted earlier):

The syntactic object of the sentence is the sufferer of the abuse, and the syntactic subject is the inflictor.
Ex: She abused her employees.
In this sentence "she" is the abuser, and the employees suffer from the abuse. How do we know this? Because "she" is the subject, and "her employees" is the object.

Now, what is interesting to me as a linguist is what this article points out - with "abuse drugs", suddenly, the object of the sentence is not suffering from the abuse. How can this be?
With other verbs, like "eat", you can't suddenly change the meaning and say that "I ate the apple" means that I actually ate myself, using the apple. If you eat the apple, the apple is affected by the eating ("eaten").
If you "punch your brother", your brother gets punched, and you don't (based on that one sentence). Simple as that. "I punched my brother" cannot mean "I punched myself, using my brother".
But this is what people do when they say "he is abusing drugs".

So, I did a bit of searching ("research") in a corpus and found that "drugs" are almost the only thing that can take this strange syntax, but that they are not the only thing. For example, you can "abuse your power", and the power itself doesn't suffer (but neither do you, unless you are caught!). This works with "abuse your privilege" as well, but I could not find any other examples. Also, the meanings are not quite the same. With power abuse, the victims are not in the sentence, but they must exist.
With drug abuse, the only victim conceivable is the abuser.

With drugs, many related terms can be also used with "abuse", such as "substance", "alcohol", etc.

So, it seems that the word "abuse" has a basic, older meaning - "use X improperly, and X suffers", and a newer, less central meaning that is something like "use X improperly, even if X doesn't suffer, as long as something suffers".

I don't know about the history of this word, but I am willing to bet that the drug war helped create this new meaning of the word.

Last edited: