• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

ФФФ Thoughts About Life (or Psychedelic insight) MEGATHREAD! ФФФ

We should never have awoken

This realisation is not a recent one, but one that shocked me and horrified me to my very core. I don't believe we're without hope anymore, but I still find it interesting to reflect upon.

The conscious mind is an anomaly.

The most successful carnivores in history were typically not those with the biggest brains, but the fastest / most vicious predators. Intelligence was a reaction to these big, mean predators, such that the prey animal could see a step ahead of the predator and hide before being noticed (and other such survival behaviours).

Noting how our consciousness seems to emerge more and more as time goes by (think back to your own childhood, and tell me you don't feel more "awake" than you did then), it would seem that the added complexity in the neural network we each hold inside our heads created the conscious phenomenon. However, evolution being the undriven process it is, has led us into territory we were unprepared for.

Thus, we are left in a place where our body still has needs - menial, boring drudgery that we are held to ransom to achieve. This thing that we are, which was involuntarily created and enslaved in one swift move, has to serve something else. Doubly sinister as it might seem, for not only are we compelled to eat and drink and fuck by chemical manipulation (lest we face the torture of the subjective experience of being deprived of these things), we are rewarded for such things by a flood of addictive neurotransmitters. And if that weren't enough, once these needs are satisfied, we cannot find comfort even then; since without stimulation we get bored! We were unprepared for it; we were the first. We're in uncharted territory.

So we discovered entertainment. Whether in fiction or fact-finding, we kept ourselves busy. We told tall tales, and invented people like Othello and Captain Kirk and Spongebob. We discovered how to harness the elements; fire, electricity, nuclear fission. We found out how to talk to people who weren't in earshot. We built networks of machines to do this for us, which manage themselves and talk to each other using structured proto-languages.

And now we're so addicted to these things. Without our daily dose of entertainment, we instantly seek another source. If none is available nearby, we'll go out of our way to find something. We didn't know exactly what we were creating, it just felt good and seemed like a good idea at the time.

What hope remains? What hope did we ever have?

Woe. We should never have awoken.​

i am a 22 year old male with a consciousness. the rest i can slip on and off like clothing.
That's an awful lot to be certain of.

listen to aenima, and there's a skit, i think before or after "jimmy".
Actually the skit is from Bill Hicks, and one that he uses more than once. Tool just happened to sample it into their music. This is the same guy that says "See, I think drugs have done good things for us...etc".

That's an awful lot to be certain of.

Actually the skit is from Bill Hicks, and one that he uses more than once. Tool just happened to sample it into their music. This is the same guy that says "See, I think drugs have done good things for us...etc".

QFT
but i first heard it off the tool album, and i enjoy tool more than Hick's, but he is funny...

if your concept of life is something that reproduces in some way, then no, i don't see how energy left over from an object can replicate grow and/or develop.
but a battery has a life. a tv can survive a fall and still function. plastic decomposes. things change.

i wasnt speaking of life simply as reproduction. i dont really understant what your getting at though. but you stated it at the end, things change, that has nothing to do with creating or destroying energy. if an isolated thing (a bettery) 'losses' energy, it is not lost to the system it is part of, the energy is going somewhere, being absorbed by something else. though i could be totally misinterpreting what your trying to get at:\

But, energy isn't some airy spiritual soul-carrier. It's a bland physical thing, just like matter. Matter can't be created or destroyed, and when you die it has to go somewhere too, but does that mean you live on? No. It just mean you body will decay and be transformed into other substances. That's the same thing that happens to the energy. It leaves in some mundane fashion, such as becoming heat or movement. A fire has lots of energy, but does that mean it's alive?

Life actually consists of less-or-more states of emtpiness.

This realisation is not a recent one, but one that shocked me and horrified me to my very core. I don't believe we're without hope anymore, but I still find it interesting to reflect upon.

The most successful carnivores in history were typically not those with the biggest brains, but the fastest / most vicious predators. Intelligence was a reaction to these big, mean predators, such that the prey animal could see a step ahead of the predator and hide before being noticed (and other such survival behaviours).

Noting how our consciousness seems to emerge more and more as time goes by (think back to your own childhood, and tell me you don't feel more "awake" than you did then), it would seem that the added complexity in the neural network we each hold inside our heads created the conscious phenomenon. However, evolution being the undriven process it is, has led us into territory we were unprepared for.

Thus, we are left in a place where our body still has needs - menial, boring drudgery that we are held to ransom to achieve. This thing that we are, which was involuntarily created and enslaved in one swift move, has to serve something else. Doubly sinister as it might seem, for not only are we compelled to eat and drink and fuck by chemical manipulation (lest we face the torture of the subjective experience of being deprived of these things), we are rewarded for such things by a flood of addictive neurotransmitters. And if that weren't enough, once these needs are satisfied, we cannot find comfort even then; since without stimulation we get bored! We were unprepared for it; we were the first. We're in uncharted territory.

So we discovered entertainment. Whether in fiction or fact-finding, we kept ourselves busy. We told tall tales, and invented people like Othello and Captain Kirk and Spongebob. We discovered how to harness the elements; fire, electricity, nuclear fission. We found out how to talk to people who weren't in earshot. We built networks of machines to do this for us, which manage themselves and talk to each other using structured proto-languages.

And now we're so addicted to these things. Without our daily dose of entertainment, we instantly seek another source. If none is available nearby, we'll go out of our way to find something. We didn't know exactly what we were creating, it just felt good and seemed like a good idea at the time.

That resonates with me -however there's no use in crying over spilt milk - a new direction is what's needed.

Navigators wanted - preferably with zero real world experience

That resonates with me -however there's no use in crying over spilt milk - a new direction is what's needed.

Navigators wanted - preferably with zero real world experience

I'm down, I got me a compass.

on mushrooms i had a profound connection to all other life on earth i knew what it felt like to be simple i guess. made me realize all life is significant no matter how small or stupid. we are all legitimate.

on dxm i realized that i actually had control over my world and everything happens because i make it happen. or more so that if i werent there none of that stuff would be happening.

both seem self evident but to see them in the way i have brings it into perspective.

oh yeah and once on acid i swear i could see light waves and actually feel the universe moving ahead by Planck lengths but dont kno if thats profound to anyone else.

consciousness became from the break of the bicameral mind...http://www.julianjaynes.org/bicameralmind.php... nothing to do with afterlife but i like to bash bible thumpers. i am saved and baptized, and none can pluck me from His hand, but im a taoist, so my views are quite skewed from the traditional philosophies. taking the good of all religious texts and lore to justify ma behavior... life is good, and eternal.

On my past few shroom trips they werent really philosophical revelations, but my own personal revelations that i need to stop let anxiety getting in the way and holding me down, and fucking shit up for me

its been a year since theese two heavy deep you coudl say BAD tripsy , and ive actually nearly turned everything around, or am i the process of turning things around,

so i guess the harsh truth the shroom trips slammed into my face, actually helped me find a sense of inner peace, and help me get my life back on track,

similairly dexedrine conteplation brought me to the revalation that drinking i need to stop, cuz it severly impedes on several aspects of my life, and that i dont have anything to drown away anymore

Consciousness

I'd like to say first off that this is my first post :D.
Secondly, I'd like everyone to offer their own thoughts about consciousness.
I'll start off with my own. Everyone is welcome to criticize mine, but bear in mind it is only a brief description. It combines a bit of scientific rationale with philosophy.

Consciousness to me is the cooperative interaction between high densities of energy (which is matter) and low densities (energy). All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, so matter = energy condensed.

The complexity of the interaction between the matter (i.e the brain cells) and the energy also determines the consciousness. Our brains are incredibly complex, and have become that way through millions of years of evolutionary adaptations. Our consciousness is 'wired' genetically- that is to say we are predisposed to certain things genetically. These things range from paranoia (which at one stage in our evolution incredibly helpful I assume) to aggression. Not to say you will be as your genetics dictates, but more likely to swing that way than others.

Consciousness, I suspect, ends with death. I will elaborate further... but I must go now. To byron bay, and beyond!!

Merged with psychedelics revelations thread.

Welcome, and just a friendly little hint: Try to at least plagiarize in your own words next time ;).

has anyone else ever, during particularly heavy doses, heard massive cheers and jeers based on your each and every thought as though the entire planet were privy to them and watching intently and passionately?

sometimes this seems like "the grand mirror". you know the place in which you review your entire life, balls and all, afterwards... it's like everyone watches everyone else's as well as their own. but we're all one, so it's basically the same thing.

^ All of my DPT trips were life-changing, and all of them involved "being laughed-at out of existence". During the come up, there is a signature perception of the whole universe laughing and taunting at one's smallness. As one shrinks further, the laughter and taunting becomes louder, until one ceases to exist.

^ Sounds almost like a very cruel form of initiation ceremony. Make it through with your sanity and dignity intact, and you'll be undeniably stronger as a person.