Rap beef thread v. RIP Drake

I don't even look at drake like a musician, he's a personality.

Drake would not exist if he started rapping in the 90s. He would get pissed on by real rappers.

Any two bit idiot can rhyme simple words with no complexity on a beat and make it sound cool.

Top 5. Rakim, Pac, Biggie, Eminem, p motha fuckin kiddin... lets say ludacris. (dude has so many types of flow, I know he isnt on alot of ppls list). andre 3000 is right up there ok im done.

Here is my take on this, which is not an opinion about either of them but about these disstracks back and forth with them.

This seems to be the disstrack equivalent of like soundbite news. I'll extrapolate --

Like NAS Ether is dope af for its time, in every way. Production, song structure, rhyme scheme, originality.....dope in every way.

I feel like these two are taking like hours and hours of super petty research and gossip and than throwin together 16 bars a couple times attempting to reference as much as possible. They sound more like memorized cyphers that could go over any beat that BPM than a written song, I haven't seen awhole lot new or shocking (other than the drake pedo accusation, which may be too far if not true).

The only thing anyone I have talked to has remembered from them is maybe a hot bar or a punchline, and I haven't been impressed by the punchlines much. "Your favorite chord is A minor" is one that I recall as one of the best shots I heard, anyone who wants to quote some lyrics feel free (I think?)

Now I talk like an expert but I've only listened to each of these tracks once and that is just what stood out to me. Id rather they each released one dope well produced song each about eachother rather than what we are seeing, however that is not how the rap battle world works. Alot of times the person who continues releasing diss tracks longest is mysteriously mistaken for the winner. Winner Whiner fine line.

BTW who won the 50 v Kanye In your opinion. Im going with the soundscan and saying kanye clearly; yet it is definitely still disputed. I still fux with some of 50s new music though, not kanyes though. 'we don't care' was kanyes one hit wonder IMO and most people aint heard more than once.

Heres a good freestyle someone did for the BBL Drizzy track that Metro put the contest out for:

I gotta say, as a rap snob elitist, that's not a freestyle. (I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just arguing the semantics of "freestyle rap")

That is a written rap, not a freestyle. Freestyle is improvised on the spot, like improv acting. Written raps over unfamiliar beats are not freestyle, either.

The definition of "freestyle" has been altered by shitty untalented rappers over the years.

I will die on this hill. I hate it so much.

Probably 80% of big rappers don't have any talent for true freestyle, it's a gift. Not everyone can do it.

eminem even calls it out in 97 before he was big...
"I'm gonna tell this for you own benefit, your shit is dope as hell, especially because you wrote 90% of it.
What you need to do is practice on your freestyles, but you'll end up coming up missing like Snoop Dogg's police files"

This is real freestyle rap:

Last edited:
My top 5 is biggie, tupac, Eminem, Kendrick, and Atmosphere... Not top 5 objectively greatest or anything... Just my top 5 favorite.

If you analyze the lyrics from Kendrick he dropped like the most clever shit I've ever heard in a diss track and laid down some of the most disrespectful shit on Drake. If you really followed the storyline of the whole thing, you'd see that Kendrick both predicted all of Drake's moves and really did have the inside information on him, while exposing him as a massive industry shill and turning the entire hip hop industry against him.

The older beefs made some great tracks for sure... But imo this one stands next to Tupac and biggie as the best beef, from storyline to the music that came out of it. Ether is good, some of those other tracks are good, but they really don't compare to Kendricks in terms of lyricism and simple melody and replayability.

Not Like Us is a generationally good banger. I guarantee it will be played heavy for a LONG time. The whole world is going crazy for it right now, and the entire Internet is clowning on Drake right now and freestyling over the BBL Drizzy track that Metro Boomin made. I really am not sure how someone could look at all of this and not see how crazy it's been. When you not only produce a ton of good tracks, but also turn the entire industry AND get the entire Internet rapping against someone... That is an all time great rap beef lol.

I gotta say, as a rap snob elitist, that's not a freestyle. (I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just arguing the semantics of "freestyle rap")

That is a written rap, not a freestyle. Freestyle is improvised on the spot, like improv acting. Written raps over unfamiliar beats are not freestyle, either.

The definition of "freestyle" has been altered by shitty untalented rappers over the years.

I will die on this hill. I hate it so much.

Probably 80% of big rappers don't have any talent for true freestyle, it's a gift. Not everyone can do it.

This is real freestyle rap:

True... I honestly didn't even really note that I used the term freestyle I just went with what the video is titled. I think it only says freestyle in the title I don't think he claims it as a freestyle anywhere. Idk maybe it is a semantic thing and maybe the term has changed over time, it seems like a lot of the time it means just a straightforward rap over a simple beat with no identifiable hook or progression. But I do agree, it does seem like it's a different thing.

Imo, freestyles are cool and everything if you're doing like an on the spot rap thing... But honestly I don't care whether someone wrote something down or came up with on the spot. When you rely on just shit you came up with off the top, it completely limits everything you can do. But I do agree the term probably shouldn't be used unless it actually is a freestyle. I just personally don't care whether someone wrote something down previously or improvised it, I honestly think there's too much focus on that kind of shit. Someone can be great and amazingly talented without being the best at freestyling, it's an extremely limiting factor in hip hop, it can only be so good.

I grew up idolizing battle rappers. It's sort of the same thing as these modern day rap beefs, but condensed down into a 5 minute contest.

If you show up to a battle rap with written rhymes, you will get booed off stage. It's really easy to tell when people spit writtens.

It's all about dissing your opponent in a clever/musical way, and you don't have all day to prepare for it, you gotta just diss on the spot.

It's brilliant and exciting, but the artform is dying.

Now it's all acapella disses king of the dot, stuff, which is OK but not nearly as exciting with no beat.

Eyedea was arguably the best battle rapper to ever live, RIP. I think only Supernatural can content for that title. Legends.

Eyedea is great... I haven't dived a whole ton into his history as a battle rapper really, but the dude can spit so seriously lol. He is great for sure.

But ya see, it is indeed a historic moment in hip hop... The numbers don't lie:

But honestly I don't care whether someone wrote something down or came up with on the spot.
You shouldn't. I don't listen to freestyles for fun, it's more a skill demonstration than music people should listen to.

I just hate how rappers use the term now, as if it's supposed to be impressive.

in the 80s-90s "freestyle" basically came out of "ciphers" which was just a group of people improv rapping in the street with a boombox
in the 2000s people started calling any written wrap spoken to an unfamiliar beat a "freestyle". That does take some skill, but it's not improv.
in the 2020s people call anything a freestyle, an unreleased song is a freestyle. It completely lost it's meaning as a phrase.

I listened to Tupac a bit when I was younger but I've heard a lot more lil b. Few friends were super into b in like 2012 and played his shit constantly
I've never thought about a top 5 honestly

I will have to check them out they sound interesting. Looks like they're signed to Sup Pop which is cool