• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction How do you deal with travelling abroad when dependent on a controlled substance?

Guess I'm lucky I am no longer able to travel abroad.
Think it can be fixed but don't have the worries of traveling globally and being dependant on a or multi substances. F that man. 😆
Sorry I was of no help.
I'm engaging, though and that's good ain't it? Idk made me feel a little brighter for lack of a better term.

Last edited:
Guess I'm luck I am no longer able to travel abroad.
Think it can be fixed but don't have the worries of traveling globally and being dependant on a or multi substances. F that man. 😆
Sorry I was of no help.
I'm engaging, though and that's good ain't it? Idk made me feel a little brighter for lack of a better term.

Tbh I dunno what the fuck you're on about or trying to say most of the time mate. But you always seem to be striving for the positive so ❤️

Tbh I dunno what the fuck you're on about or trying to say most of the time mate. But you always seem to be striving for the positive so ❤️
Thanks and love is definitely returned to you and yours.
And tbh I mostimes don't know what I'm on about either so that is fine, yeah? Haha
Hoping all is at least ok in your neck of the words and thanks for everything.
♥️

i mixed up l-theanine and valerian.
With a good Valerian extract you could go a far way too as the Valerenic acid in it is strong GABA-ergic, I read that can compete with our modern Benzo's. To bad most brand don't contain any or little of that useful alkaloid. They destroy it in the proces. A tincture of fresh root was advised to me for a second view on its effectiveness. To bad the supplement branche is nothing like in the USA.

Way more regulation's and other factor's make America seem like supplement paradise.

Last edited:
With a good Valerian extract you could go a far way too as the Valerenic acid in it is strong GABA-ergic, I read that can compete with our modern Benzo's. To bad most brand don't contain any or little of that useful alkaloid. They destroy it in the proces. A tincture of fresh root was advised to me for a second view on its effectiveness. To bad the supplement branche is nothing like in the USA.

Way more regulation's and other factor's make America seem like supplement paradise.
I really have to get some of this. I'm at the end of my xanax taper, and honestly if it weren't for the horror stories or whatever, I would have continued to take this forever. My experience with xanax for those two months was pretty much positive the whole way. Just got a bit bummed out when I got down to 0.25mg a day that it was time to stop, and go back to my regular overthinking world. How did valerian compare to benzos for you?

I really have to get some of this. I'm at the end of my xanax taper, and honestly if it weren't for the horror stories or whatever, I would have continued to take this forever. My experience with xanax for those two months was pretty much positive the whole way. Just got a bit bummed out when I got down to 0.25mg a day that it was time to stop, and go back to my regular overthinking world. How did valerian compare to benzos for you?
Well my only experience is with the commercial available pill's. But these are devoid or have little Valerenic Acid so in my case nothing. They do not compare neither can Valerian replace them.

Lemon Balm, Passieflora Incarnata and Mulungu I have more faith in that they actually do something. And the effort to obtain a Valerian extract that does contain Valerenic Acid is not worth the time atm.

Just so everyone is aware, this isn't universal knowledge, they now have machines in basically every airport that can register and detect chemicals and tell the security agents exactly what the chemical is. For instance, you put your pills into a solution like @PharmaTrain suggested. Previously, it would have been much more difficult to identify this sort of thing. Nowadays, if they are suspicious, they can pretty easily take a sample, put it through this machine and the machine will say "Alprazolam" or what have you.

Like a lot of folks have already said here, it's basically a chance thing. Most people will get through, it's just a big risk if something goes wrong.
Thanks for the correction.

7d13b7dc5f7dde97fcbd5d09181afa64.jpg

large-screenshot3.jpg

midnight-express-customs-scene-1.jpg

midnight_express-133114471-large.jpg

MV5BZjRjOWFkNTEtZjQyNi00ZmZhLWIzNzItYTdmMTkxMGI0NmQxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

163903.jpg

midnight-express-1978-03-g+-+Copie.jpg

1-7.jpg

Midnight-Express-513.jpg

Midnight-Express-245.jpg

wp4172895.jpg
I'd really like to go to Turkey someday but that movie was the most effective anti drug smuggling thing I've ever seen!

Just so everyone is aware, this isn't universal knowledge, they now have machines in basically every airport that can register and detect chemicals and tell the security agents exactly what the chemical is. For instance, you put your pills into a solution like @PharmaTrain suggested. Previously, it would have been much more difficult to identify this sort of thing. Nowadays, if they are suspicious, they can pretty easily take a sample, put it through this machine and the machine will say "Alprazolam" or what have you.

Like a lot of folks have already said here, it's basically a chance thing. Most people will get through, it's just a big risk if something goes wrong.
One thing I read is that basic TSA security is really only focused on bombs/guns/threats. When you figure how many people travel everyday, you know they don't have time or desire to slow things down with intensive searches. Too many pissed off travelers behind you in line who would be also slowed down. The exception to that, I have heard, is maybe if the x-ray shows a big quantity, like a bag of pills or powder. But hell, I travel with all kinds of bottles of Tylenol and Advil and vitamins, as do many people. Or if you present a suspicious profile. But yes, I also heard that the machines they have are mega sensitive. I don't think they have time to really get in depth with them on TSA security, but I'm always worried about checked baggage.
I don't NEED to travel with drugs because I don't have any addictions (though I do often travel with a bag of good coffee ;) )but my trips usually involve hiking and backpacking and I like to have something for emergency pain for if I hurt myself remote in the mountains, so I will bring a couple vicodins mixed in with my bottle of Tylenol, which they look identical to except for the markings. Sometimes I bring a Xanax or Ativan (I have an old script for them, they are my emergency stash since I do have an official bottle). But I do end up worrying about it.
One real drag above not being able to bring opiates is that they are so therapeutically useful for travel: good for pain, a cough, and diarrhea (well, and for mood improvement, too ;) )Years ago, my doctor was willing to write me a script for a bottle of codeine just for travel, but alas no more. And fewer countries allow you to buy them OTC.

Well my only experience is with the commercial available pill's. But these are devoid or have little Valerenic Acid so in my case nothing. They do not compare neither can Valerian replace them.

Lemon Balm, Passieflora Incarnata and Mulungu I have more faith in that they actually do something. And the effort to obtain a Valerian extract that does contain Valerenic Acid is not worth the time atm.

Think this web site will work for them?

(Note: Valerian is not Gordon Liddy approved for daily use)

Going to Turkey. Yeah my situation is a bit complicated because I don't have health insurance. I did get them prescribed by an actual doctor, who is a friend, though they bent some rules to get me the pills and the prescription is not in my name.

Yeah so far I'm not that keyed up. Got quickly down to 0.5mg a day, split into two doses. I've sat on that for 5 or 6 days now, and felt generally fine. It's been about 24 hours since my last 0.25 and still feeling just normal, apart from very mild anxiety, but I have drunk a few strong coffees, smoke like a chimney, and am starting a new job tomorrow. I'm going to stick to 0.25mg per day for the next couple of days just to see how that goes.

As for screening, I always get selected
Turkey is not a problem. I went there and took all my benzos, pregabalins and opioids with me. Just in the luggage. I had documents with me though. In Turkey you can buy many products OTC that are not allowed in many other countries in Europe.

But I run out of my meds before leaving the country and was in withdrawals rest of the trip. I drank a lot of alcohol and bought OTC DXM from Turkey to help a little bit.

I am also from Europe. Little bit northern than you.

Turkey is not a problem. I went there and took all my benzos, pregabalins and opioids with me. Just in the luggage. I had documents with me though. In Turkey you can buy many products OTC that are not allowed in many other countries in Europe.

But I run out of my meds before leaving the country and was in withdrawals rest of the trip. I drank a lot of alcohol and bought OTC DXM from Turkey to help a little bit.

I am also from Europe. Little bit northern than you.
Did alcohol help a lot? I think I'm going to travel without anything, unless I can get a private doctor to fit me in and give me a prescription and whatnot today. I've tapered down from 1.5 - 2mg a day, and been sitting on 0.25mg for a few days now, after a week at 0.5mg, and had no sort of symptoms, other than slight difficult getting to sleep. Thinking that just in case I do get anxious or whatever while I'm away, then maybe just a beer or something. I don't drink normally, so one or two drinks and I'm already tipsy

If the thing you take is illegal, how do you deal with that? Or if you are taking prescription pills that are illegal in the country you're going to, and don't have any proof of prescription, etc. How do you deal with that?

edit: not talking about taking something illegally into a country, but rather dealing without or dealing with difficult getting it. Context: I'm at the very end of a xanax taper (short-term use, currently down to the last couple of days at 0.25mg, down from up to 2mg a day) and should be, according to my doctor, fine to stop in the next couple of days. I wanted to keep my last couple of 0.5mg pills with me in my wallet all the time as a kind of safety net, generally, in case of any panic attack or whatever, but I'm travelling to a very strict country. I am not able to get a letter confirming my need for the medication in time for the trip.
The simple way to bring it with you is to bring along any legal capsules you have and empty out the contents of it and put your crushed Xanax inside it,,

I’m surprised your doctor didn’t switch you too Valium because of it’s longer half life…

The simple way to bring it with you is to bring along any legal capsules you have and empty out the contents of it and put your crushed Xanax inside it,,

I’m surprised your doctor didn’t switch you too Valium because of it’s longer half life…
I take 10mg valiums, they are weak. I was going to quit using benzos, so I switched from Ativan( lorazepam), now I have trouble sleeping

Didn't switch because I have an aversion to taking any kind of medication, since my brother OD'ed a while ago. I was comfortable with xanax because I'd taken one dose of 0.25mg once, around 20 years ago, when I had my first panic attack and didn't know what it was. I responded well to the taper, and didn't want to change over to anything else. Got down to 0.25mg now, without any sort of adverse reactions, and my doctor says that I'd be fine to stop now. I just like that safety net feeling of having a couple of xanax in my wallet, just in case of any panic attack

Why, do you want to go to Turkey?
Istanbul sounds like a fascinating mix of cultures and history, and I'd like to hike to hike the Lycian Way, which is a famous long distance trail. There are also the cave houses of Cappadocia, which are pretty cool-looking. I've never traveled in a Muslim country and Turkey sounds a little easier and interesting than some of it's neighbors ;)

I took a gram and a half of Oxycodone into Thailand a few years back.
I applied to drug control for a permit and got one.
I tried to declare it at customs on the way in, but they just waved me through. While there I picked up a box of Dextromethorphan over the counter.
It was totally worth it while following the rocket festival around the boonies. My only gripe was how many cities/towns have no taxis. Just tiny motorbikes.

Istanbul sounds like a fascinating mix of cultures and history, and I'd like to hike to hike the Lycian Way, which is a famous long distance trail. There are also the cave houses of Cappadocia, which are pretty cool-looking. I've never traveled in a Muslim country and Turkey sounds a little easier and interesting than some of it's neighbors ;)
I would wait till they rebuild from that earthquake that killed over 50,000 people last year.

Think this web site will work for them?

(Note: Valerian is not Gordon Liddy approved for daily use)
The poster that advised me a second opinion showed me a bottle of Valerian extracted from fresh roots. I assume they use a extraction technique that conserverves the Valerenic Acid (cold extraction?). It was in a dropper bottle, probably Biologically grown etc.

That Turkish looking add (correct me if wrong) showes not only root's, which are most probably (freeze) dried at least, but also showes the leaves and flower's. Which are not active. Are they in there also?

Btw. Turkish OTC med's maybe less strict then EU, but the good all day's are long gone. Anything OTC I saw was non recreational. Except maybe DXM, which is not even available any more in Nl. neither OTC or prescribe. Way to much interaction's was the excuse. Way to much recreational potential most probably the motivation. So thing's like 7.6 mg Codeine pill's with Paracetamol and Caffein, Fluoxetine, Doxylamine and Opipramol.
That's what I encountered, liked that last one.

And l-Theanine, wish i could try, but a decent dose every day costs a fortune overhere so I will pass. But it sounds nice on paper.

Last edited: