• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

the market: stocks, bonds, options, whatever

I heard a nasty rumor that Reddit's IPO went well?

Glad that I sat that one out. I was ready to take the other side of that trade.

SGMO went up 18% today while VYGR went down 9%, which could be something, because VYGR in January got a $100M upfront deal with over $1B potential royalties to license their capsid tech, which was the best until SGMO recently put out data and theirs is way better and is now the industry leader

It crosses the BBB way better, which is crucial for any company doing gene editing. Definitely worth following SGMO (I already own it). They're low on cash but didn't do an offering to raise cash during the recent share price spike which is a sign they may have a deal in the works or a partnership for their FABRY trial that would include an upfront cash payment, and should get $220M royalty payment from Pfizer this summer after they release their phase 3 data from a hemophilia trial with Pfizer

Jan VYGR deal

March 13th SGMO capsid news

It crosses the BBB way better, which is crucial for any company doing gene editing. Definitely worth following SGMO (I already own it). They're low on cash but didn't do an offering to raise cash during the recent share price spike which is a sign they may have a deal in the works or a partnership for their FABRY trial that would include an upfront cash payment, and should get $220M royalty payment from Pfizer this summer after they release their phase 3 data from a hemophilia trial with Pfizer

Interesting. ...but does gene therapy actually work? I had taken a small, speculative position in $CRSP a few years ago, only dump it slightly up when my Doctor tipped me off that there was little theoretic basis for gene therapy to actually work.

But I'm a blank slate on this one. My question was candid. Does gene therapy work?

Yeah it works. FDA said they want to focus on approving more gene editing too. Biomarin got approved for hemophilia but their rollout was terrible and have only treated one patient I think

The SGMO/Pfizer trial is also for hemophilia, and I'm more focused on the $220M royalty payment for phase 3 results soon, rather than the rollout after potential FDA approval, because Pfizer already knows how to rollout new treatments to the market

It's high risk high reward, but I'm gonna stick with the bet and ride it out

Lol, they did an offering at .84 instead of doing it when they were over $1. Maybe management is dumb

Maybe management is dumb

What was your first clue?

richard-branson-funny.jpg

It's down enough since then tho that maybe it is a good buy now

Yeah, I'm going to add to my position. The big fear:

60ec5793f561ac2066eb428a

is that they might have to reduce their dividend in order to do a stock buyback or something to prop up the price. But nobody is in that stock for the potential share price increase. Even if the dividend gets cut in half, it would still be a whopping 12%. LOL

Yeah I mean sometimes the time to buy stuff is when the market is negative about it. Maybe the new CEO pulls off some good investment decisions too and the share price actually goes up

Yeah I mean sometimes the time to buy stuff is when the market is negative about it. Maybe the new CEO pulls off some good investment decisions too and the share price actually goes up

Thanks.

Lately I have my eye on REIT. I feel like REIT have the advantage over other investments in that if they run into trouble, they can usually liquidate some of their assets (read: sell off property) in order to cover shortfalls. Is that a crazy thing to think?

Last edited:

Are verticals a waste of time? I'm struggling to find a way to make money on them. For example, my bank requires that I open a market account in order to trade them. Which I accept. Probably most banks are that way. Or SEC regulations or whatever.

So I was writing verticals for a while and was making a killing, until I started to get hit with margin calls. I adapted to that by not holding them over night...but then I got flagged as a pattern day trader? Not kidding. So then I became a day trader. Boy was this a rabbit hole, you know? And again was making a killing.

But the compliance requirements associated with this as well as yet another margin call convinced me to give up. It's not that I can't figure out how to trade verticals, it's that I can't figure out a way to do it that isn't drawing a lot of heat from my bank. No? Am I doing it wrong?

Are verticals a waste of time? I'm struggling to find a way to make money on them. For example, my bank requires that I open a market account in order to trade them. Which I accept. Probably most banks are that way. Or SEC regulations or whatever.

So I was writing verticals for a while and was making a killing, until I started to get hit with margin calls. I adapted to that by not holding them over night...but then I got flagged as a pattern day trader? Not kidding. So then I became a day trader. Boy was this a rabbit hole, you know? And again was making a killing.

But the compliance requirements associated with this as well as yet another margin call convinced me to give up. It's not that I can't figure out how to trade verticals, it's that I can't figure out a way to do it that isn't drawing a lot of heat from my bank. No? Am I doing it wrong?
That's an options strategy, right?, I stay away from options unless I just buy puts or calls. I never buy shares to then write options against my position for the premiums, maybe I should tho because my buddy made a lot doing that

That's an options strategy, right?

Yes.

, I stay away from options unless I just buy puts or calls. I never buy shares to then write options against my position for the premiums, maybe I should tho because my buddy made a lot doing that

See, buy writes are pretty good. The use case for them is if you already plan to buy a bunch of stock and hold it for a while, a buy/write makes it cheaper to do so. If you are unsure and you might want to sell it back quickly, then they're not a good deal.

Since the market is a bit pumped up at the moment there's more implied volatility reflected in the price that you'll get. I wouldn't say it's a no brainer, but it's better to do buy/writes when the markets on it's way up then right after it dips.

It's pretty funny that The Wolf of Wall Street movie is about fraud and it was funded by a guy who committed a $4B fraud to get the money