• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

zoloft as anti cancer agent!?

I'm unsure as to meeting the requirements of calling myself a "brainiac",
actually I most certainly do not think I am.

However, I cross-referenced the study in search of multiple articles about this, and have found several from better sources, especially government sources from US/UK & Germany, with lots of data to show for it, and it seems to be pretty much what it says. The SSRIs paroxetine and sertraline have shown to be anti-proliferative. It's not an anti-cancer per sé, but it significantly slows the growth in mice.

However, as far as I could see, it has not been tested on humans yet. And I believe about 4 or 5 years ago there was this whole controversy about SSRIs CAUSING cancer.

yeah... kind of conflicting. who knows really. i just keep thinking the whole study is sponsored though. there is no way some independent researchers will take on the task of checking if some very common antidepressant can help prevent cancer. its way way too wild!!!
but what do you guys think, the ones who deal with biochemistry, what is the possible mechanism behind zoloft and paxil that might possibly make em anti cancerious?? and can we just replace em with something similar, more natural, working in the same manner??

yeah... kind of conflicting. who knows really. i just keep thinking the whole study is sponsored though. there is no way some independent researchers will take on the task of checking if some very common antidepressant can help prevent cancer. its way way too wild!!!
but what do you guys think, the ones who deal with biochemistry, what is the possible mechanism behind zoloft and paxil that might possibly make em anti cancerious?? and can we just replace em with something similar, more natural, working in the same manner??

I'm honestly confused, because there was lots of talk about sertraline (zoloft) and 90% of anti-psychotics, 90% of anti-epileptics, 70% of benzodiazepines, 63% of antidepressants, and 25% of amphetamines increasing the risk of cancer immensely.

But I have that from a bunch of German sources(whenever i cross-reference SSRIs & Cancer in German I get warnings about how dangerous they are, if I do it in English I get articles like yours.)

I really hope someone with more knowledge in biochemistry will chip in soon

Zoloft as an anti-cancer compound sounds like a good idea to me.

what do you brainiacs think of this article; https://scitechdaily.com/antidepressant-sertraline-zoloft-helps-inhibit-growth-of-cancer-cells/

pretty crazy eh? that such shit antidepressant as zoloft can do this. BUT as all research, i believe it is flawed and heavily sponsored by corrupt SCIENTISTS and CORPORATIONS. goddamn!!
Sertraline and paroxetine has demonstrated pro-apoptic properties in cells in high micromolar to low millimolar doses, by increasing the concentrations of Calcium inside cells, which triggers apoptic pathways like caspase-3 and caspase-6, as well as PUMA.. These are doses 100 to 1,000 X higher than those used clinically for depression. There is some concern, however, that, even at clinical doses, they might be toxic to astrocytes in chronic(10+ years) treatment. Antidepressants, sertraline and paroxetine, increase calcium influx and induce mitochondrial damage-mediated apoptosis of astrocytes - PubMed (nih.gov)

Sertraline and paroxetine has demonstrated pro-apoptic properties in cells in high micromolar to low millimolar doses, by increasing the concentrations of Calcium inside cells, which triggers apoptic pathways like caspase-3 and caspase-6, as well as PUMA.. These are doses 100 to 1,000 X higher than those used clinically for depression. There is some concern, however, that, even at clinical doses, they might be toxic to astrocytes in chronic(10+ years) treatment. Antidepressants, sertraline and paroxetine, increase calcium influx and induce mitochondrial damage-mediated apoptosis of astrocytes - PubMed (nih.gov)

of course anythng pro-apoptotic is going to help prevent cancer. but also cause damage to healthy cells as well, long term high dose etc. i can think of many natural substances that do that and are highly prized such as quercetin, curcumin, green tea, etc.
it still might seem fine if you are using an antidepressant short term, or on and off taking breaks.
but i read a lot of other substances out there can cause increase calcium influx and probably be as detrimental. do you have any idea of some to mention or i should probably look it up? im certain i read about such before in everyday supplements in fact

Last edited:
I'm honestly confused, because there was lots of talk about sertraline (zoloft) and 90% of anti-psychotics, 90% of anti-epileptics, 70% of benzodiazepines, 63% of antidepressants, and 25% of amphetamines increasing the risk of cancer immensely.

But I have that from a bunch of German sources(whenever i cross-reference SSRIs & Cancer in German I get warnings about how dangerous they are, if I do it in English I get articles like yours.)

I really hope someone with more knowledge in biochemistry will chip in soon

those german sources, do they talk about german made pharmaceuticals in more positive manner? of course they are not going to support american pharmaceutical companies making money in their country. im curious if they also have criticized their own medications...

those german sources, do they talk about german made pharmaceuticals in more positive manner? of course they are not going to support american pharmaceutical companies making money in their country. im curious if they also have criticized their own medications...
no they're actually talking bad about a shitload of pharmaceuticals.

of course anythng pro-apoptotic is going to help prevent cancer. but also cause damage to healthy cells as well, long term high dose etc. i can think of many natural substances that do that and are highly prized such as quercetin, curcumin, green tea, etc.
it still might seem fine if you are using an antidepressant short term, or on and off taking breaks.
but i read a lot of other substances out there can cause increase calcium influx and probably be as detrimental. do you have any idea of some to mention or i should probably look it up? im certain i read about such before in everyday supplements in fact
Quercetin and the polyphenols of green tea have extremely poor oral bioavailablity, and the apoptic properties of many of them are extremely weak, in the millimolar range. They do nothing. Quercetin is used with desatinib in certain forms of cancer, but I highly doubr the quercetin is doing anything.

thank you <3

Quercetin and the polyphenols of green tea have extremely poor oral bioavailablity, and the apoptic properties of many of them are extremely weak, in the millimolar range. They do nothing. Quercetin is used with desatinib in certain forms of cancer, but I highly doubr the quercetin is doing anything.

Yes, i read the studies of low bioavailability and quick extraction of polyphenols in the body. how they are extracted. way before they can actually be detected and possibly (probably) not do anything?, BUT thats exactly the point! from what i have gathered over the years researching this, it seems something like quercetin is needed just enough to cause a RESPONSE within certain perimeters, quick absorption and extraction. because of supposed toxicity. it becomes what it is called Hormesis, if you ever heard of it?
also, while researching polyphenols, it took me in an 180 turn to something completely new, and exciting! Our own microbiome processes every polyphenol differently for every individual! And i had this discussion with sekio about it when he argued the same BS that polyphenols are useless. I confronted him with how each individual's microbiome works unique to them and its quite impossible to determine by science YET, in point to fact, how this really works!
So yeah, our bodies main mission is to get rid of any foreign substances, including polyphenols and so on. BUT just like the toxins, even the short acting ones, they can completely remodel your organism, short or long term, without even our aknowledgement of such deity.

It needs more research though. This whole microbiome thing and how it processes each nutrient or toxin we consume is still in its infancy. BUT im skeptical and so sad because of SCIENCE and the BUSINESS side of it! we will never learn the truth because they must rather say whatever they have to say to make money and abolish all important evidence through the whole process. :(

Last edited:
IDK dude. The patent of Sertraline (Zoloft) has expired ages ago and it's available as a generic. No reason to sponsor something that does not bring enough revenue to the big pharma.

Yes, i read the studies of low bioavailability and quick extraction of polyphenols in the body. how they are extracted. way before they can actually be detected and possibly (probably) not do anything?, BUT thats exactly the point! from what i have gathered over the years researching this, it seems something like quercetin is needed just enough to cause a RESPONSE within certain perimeters, quick absorption and extraction. because of supposed toxicity. it becomes what it is called Hormesis, if you ever heard of it?
also, while researching polyphenols, it took me in an 180 turn to something completely new, and exciting! Our own microbiome processes every polyphenol differently for every individual! And i had this discussion with sekio about it when he argued the same BS that polyphenols are useless. I confronted him with how each individual's microbiome works unique to them and its quite impossible to determine by science YET, in point to fact, how this really works!
So yeah, our bodies main mission is to get rid of any foreign substances, including polyphenols and so on. BUT just like the toxins, even the short acting ones, they can completely remodel your organism, short or long term, without even our aknowledgement of such deity.

It needs more research though. This whole microbiome thing and how it processes each nutrient or toxin we consume is still in its infancy. BUT im skeptical and so sad because of SCIENCE and the BUSINESS side of it! we will never learn the truth because they must rather say whatever they have to say to make money and abolish all important evidence through the whole process. :(

replying to my own UNIQUE ability to comprehand things ahead of time and how correct i am, posting this to show im moving forward and not backwards; https://www.nutraingredients-usa.co...-linking-flavonoids-gut-microbiota-and-health