• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Zaleplon(Sonata) is trippy. Great recreational drug!

Status
Not open for further replies.

purplehaze147

Bluelighter
Zaleplon can be can give very psychedelic visuals in doses as little as 20mg(plugged). I got some nice open eye visuals. It's kinda hard to remember now but I was seeing flashes of red and green, fractles, illumination, and colorful squggily lines. I've done many psychedelics and the visuals were similar to a low dose of LSD, it blows away DXM.

However, zaleplon wasn't the only drug I used. Two hours before I plugged 10mg of dexmethylphenidate(Focalin) and 25mg of mixed amphetamine salts(Adderall) along with 2mg of tizanidine(Zanaflex) orally. Then I plugged 6mg of buprenorphine(Subutex) and 4mg of tizanidine, for potenation, with the 20mg of zaleplon.

The pharmacological mechanism of action for zaleplon is a benzodiazepine GABAa agonist but in assuming it must have another mechanism of action besides that for the psychedelic effects. Does any one know? Maybe a NMDA or muscarine antagonist?

Out of all the possible RoA plugging seems to be the best way of doing this drug. Many people snort it but thats the worst RoA because zaleplon isn't water soluble and much of the drug gets lost.

Overall it's a great recreational drug. It has all the effects of diazepam(Valium) with a trippy side to it. It's an easy drug to get prescribed, it's used for insomnia as it is very sedating. The only major drawback of zaleplon is it's duration, it only lasts about an hour or so and has a short half life but that makes it less addicting. If only used at bedtime I doubt it have any physical withdraws like benzos and other nonbenzos.

Sorry for the double post I can't edit cuz I'm on my phone and it won't let me scroll down.

I'd also like to add that I have a huge tolerance to opioids. 6mg of buprenorphine with 20mg of zaleplon might be fatal to an opiate naive person, idk.

Also I like zaleplon much better then zolpidem(Ambien).

Caffeine and nicotine decrease zaleplons effects. The dexmethylphenidate and amphetamine didn't seen to degrade it, interestingly. I feel asleep easily and was nodding, the burenorphine alone wouldn't have done that.

I had almost no tolerence to it. The night before I snorted 20mg and felt good but didn't get any of the psychedelia.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard it can cause hallucinations, though I have never gotten any other effects from it than the usual benzo effect.

edit: It was actually taken off the market here a few years ago because of this.

Since you're asking an intermediate-level question about how a drug works, I'm going to move this to OD

Basic Drug Discussion --> Other Drugs

The pharmacological mechanism of action for zaleplon is a benzodiazepine GABAa agonist but in assuming it must have another mechanism of action besides that for the psychedelic effects. Does any one know?

It's a GABAA positive allosteric modulator, but one with more specific activities than benzos, namely being more selective for the alpha-1 subunit of GABAA (a lot like Ambien). However, I don't think that we yet have a good idea of why this would induce hallucinations.

ebola

The rest of the z-drugs are also recreational in this sense, though qualitatively not necessarily euphoric or dysphoric, though definitely something-phoric. I believe the visual disturbance here is similar to those produced by muscimol and presumably gaboxadol (shame that never made it through clinical trials!)

this is an Harm Reduction focus forum please refrain from glorifying drug abuse wherever possible. Z-drugs are crazy and nothing like the classical benzos IMO.

I remember when zaleplon was on the Canadian market (sold as StarNoc). I was prescribed it for a little while, and yes, I did snort the 10 mg capsules and got effects from it. However, these effects were really bizarre. They felt like a really bastardized benzo and had a weird headspace about them. I didn't really enjoy them much at all. I actually asked my shrink to return me to zopiclone because I also found the zaleplon to be rather useless as a hypnotic. Its only saving grace was that if you woke up in the middle of the night, you could re-dose and be fine for the morning. This being said, I found for it to actually work when taken as prescribed, it had to be on an absolutely empty stomach or else nadda. Eventually zaleplon was taken off of the Canadian market. Fast forward several years and Sublinox (sublingual zolpidem) was introduced on the Canadian market. Naturally, I had to try it, as I've never experienced zolpidem. I actually found it to be a rather unpleasant medication. It had that odd feeling that zaleplon caused, only magnified. I quickly went to my shrink and asked for another hypnotic, at which point he prescribed me 30 mg Restoril and I've never looked back since.

The bottom line is that the z-drugs are indeed a very strange family of medications. Zopiclone has been referred to as a "benzo in disguise", which is a monicker that I agree with. As for zaleplon and zolpidem, I really don't like the strange feeling that these medications cause. Yes, they're selective GABA agonists, but they sure as hell don't feel like a GABA agonist. They almost feel like some bastardized RC. I realize that there are a lot of people that enjoy zolpidem, but I'm sure as not one of them. As for zaleplon, it's was by far one of the most inconsistent and bizarre pharmaceuticals that I've ever taken in my life, and believe me, I've taken my fair share of pharms.

Very strange high. I enjoyed it the first few times I took it. Just like ambien and lunesta. And then the euphoria faded after a few tries and so I stopped taking em. Even though I enjoyed it...it wasn't euphoric. It was just a different state of consciousness which I'm always down for.

Pretty sure all the Z drugs have that effect to some extent....
very short half life too... never felt any sort of tolerance building up
10mg is still making my vision distorted and gives my thoughts a psychotic vibe

when I still had my health insurance, I was prescribed 60 X 10mg capsules. they were extremely addictive for me, i'd be able to go through a whole script in less than 3 days. they always seemed to be very short-lasting, but if you got above 60-70mg in an hour, the benzo-blackout effect would take hold, then you'd wake up the next day with countless capsule-halfs laying all around you, and an empty pill bottle... can't say these were bad times, I really enjoyed zaleplon, infact its in my top 5 drugs I've ever done.

Last edited:
Zaleplon was the trippiest and most fun of them all.

Health Canada didn't like that they were gelcaps with a tiny amount of water soluble powder one could snort, and I had the smaller dosed ones, the 3mg ones, yellow gelcaps.

It makes Sublinox(ambien here) and Imovane(zopiclone) a complete waste of time. I didn't even sleep from 30mg Sublinox, and they are sublingual "pills" nor did I get visuals who taste like ass, good idea there at marketing AstraZenaca, you always amaze me with your products, like Seroquel and now our "finally" arrived Ambien although it can't be worse than... Zopiclone I would sleep from but if I managed to wake up during the night, I'd feel like if I was still dreaming, not like you go to pee and don't remember it, everything was very weird but non hallucinogenic, so I guess I'd say almost dissociative...and that taste...UGH, I'd even wake up smelling my armpits sweating out the same odor as the taste, horrendous, thankfully it was a free pack of 15 7.5mg pills, I didn't ask for more from the doctor who wanted to give me 3 boxes the next time I met him.

Zaleplon is like heaven, especially snorted, all the colours get very intense, my yellow light bulb would be like the light to fixate upon to go to dreamland. Unfortunately it's only good for those having issues falling asleep, I was up 3 hours later and trying more didn't work really, had to wait a day.

Now I'll unfortunately never get it. I guess that's why almost all posts from americans regarding z-drugs rarely mention Sonata as you call it, docs must know how it triggers the "like" in the brain and could be snorted away since it's a gelcap.

Yeah the guy said where he lived was the North Pole, so it's easy to know he meant here, in Canada. It was around maybe 3 years. Zopiclone was around forever, the first Z-drug we got in 2005 or so, and then Zaleplon as Starnoc and "finally" zolpidem as Sublinox 10mg sublingual pills like 2 years ago max.

God, I'm sure since they are not as highly scheduled in many countries, i could obtain zaleplon again if I tried hard enough, but there was a "trust" website that disappeared and without it, I'll stick with my large bookmark list of safe stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.