Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Your story about drug use in the music festival scene - by 24/6/19

Tronica

Executive Director
Staff member
Hi Australian Drug Discussion people

Many of you will be aware that there will be a coronial inquest into the deaths of festival-goers in NSW next month. You can read more about it here.

I've provided a statement and will give evidence at the inquest. The Coroner and her team have asked me to help them access some statements from festival-goers who use MDMA and other drugs in that setting. The request is quoted below.

I mentioned the option of posting this request to Bluelight and they were enthusiastic. So, what you can do is if you have a statement to make, make it in this thread, then I will collate and send to the coroner.

Due date: 24 June 2019

Note that they may ask people to give oral evidence. If they are interested in anyone here, I will send you a PM, but of course, that's totally up to you, and they appreciate that some people may only be willing to give written/anonymous evidence. Note that they do fund travel to the court for people giving oral evidence.

Any questions - ask away. Otherwise, please do provide some statements in this thread if you have some experiences with MDMA and other drugs in the music festival setting in Australia.

Thanks a lot!
Tronica/Monica :)

Deputy State Coroner Grahame has confirmed she would like a few statements from users of MDMA and other recreational drugs from the music festival scene.

They also may be asked to give oral evidence at the inquest in July.

Their names would be protected by non-publication orders and/or pseudonyms at the inquest and they would be protected from prosecution for criminal offences related to their evidence by way of a s 61 certificate.

We would like to hear from them about their background and experiences with drugs, pill testing and the policing of music festivals.

With respect to their usage, aspects like amounts consumed, length of session of use, polydrug use, perceptions of adulteration, whether and how they tried to find out content/purity of their drug, any adverse reactions, their symptoms and treatment, and whether the negative event changed their behaviour since the event would all be relevant lines of enquiry for the inquest.

In Australia those dying are winning the Darwin award for total reckless use of mdma and pressed pills. Last year a guy who died at defqon 1 dropped 3 pills at once because they didn't want to get searched. taking 600-900 mg of mdma in the hot Australian heat is just completely stupid. At bush doofs and trance scenes alot of fake ass mdma and pills go around people claiming their black rocks of mdma are good. There needs to be substance testing at these events and a take from holland with personal amounts allowed for use. I myself would not take mdma in the Australian heat its just asking for overheating. LSD is used quite a bit is generally used responsibility. What needs to happen is harm reduction information at events and for people to only take a half pill instead of multiple ones like idiots.

One thing I’d like to point out.. The article shown gives three examples of lethal overdoses, notice two of them are Asian. I bring this up because this has been noticed before, and is theorized that just like alcohol, certain Asians may not have process MDMA well.

Here in the states, in Southern California, a disproportionate number of Asians have overdosed in comparison to other ethnicities. It also seems to happen in places with high temperatures.

With all that said, the amount of deaths compared to use is nothing when comparing most other drugs including alcohol.

-GC

Thanks for your comments.

The committee is particularly interested in your own personal stories relating to drug use at festivals. If you have one and don't want to write it here, feel free to PM me.

Thanks for your comments.

The committee is particularly interested in your own personal stories relating to drug use at festivals. If you have one and don't want to write it here, feel free to PM me.

Hi Tronica,
I will PM you later this evening. I was deeply involved in the Melbourne rave scene from 2006 untill around 2015 and ecstasy played a huge part over those years. I used testing kits always and was always harm reduction focused.
Speak Soon

Andy