• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

your rights at work

They're separate bodies in as much that one gets elected in power to run the country, the other just thinks they run the country.

How many union members end up in Parliament when they realise the perks are better than running a union? ;)

eggman88888 said:
The ALP wins the next election there is no doubt that we will have a situation where the new government will take a very long time to address the IR laws.

I've wondered about that. I mean, sure, it's easy for ALP to say "we'll rip up these laws" etc etc, but realistically, what are the chances of that happening? And what time frame do they think it's going to happen in, and would this be on par with what the voting public (or those who may vote in the ALP based on the whole IR thing) expect?

I realise that these types of things ('things' being government policy) can't just be decided on and implemented over night, but governments are so good at saying "we'll fix this if you vote for us" and meanwhile you find out that the intended changes will come into effect around about when you're voting in the next election.

Just my thoughts.

Well if they're anything like a Victorian Labor Government it'll never happen. They'll talk about it, promise it, consider it and then spend hundreds of millions studying it, but nothing will actually happen. :)

Same as their Sydney contingent. Election time - shit, we fucked up, but we'll fix it, truuuuust us. After election: Sorry, realised we really can't widen the Spit Bridge, so that wont be happening, but trust us, it has nothing to do with losing that seat to the Liberals.

i don't believe that Rudd would be so silly as to not implement some major change to the ir laws considering it's more than likely to be the thing that gets him elected. how far the changes go will & how quick they happen will probably depend on the balance of power in the senate.
all i know for shaw is this election will be the first time ever that i vote for labour in both houses of parliament. i would normally vote democrats or greens in the upper house.

to give credit where credit is due. i'm happy that the government is putting in place their "fairness test" i believe it will be a step in the right direction. however i do hope that it is a serious peace of policy to make shit laws better & not just paying lip service to all the people who appose "work choices" in an effort to win back some votes. i'll be keeping a careful eye on what the ACTU has to say about it in the coming days. after their people have a chance to pull it apart & look for any built in loop holes.

Well we know the ACTU isn't in any way biased so I too look forward to their illuminating views. ;)

Howard has announced he's putting $370 million and 600 people into the job working on this fairness deal, so he seems serious about it (clearly he's realised he needs to be).

420star said:
^yes they did. it may surprise some of you to know that although the ACTU & the labour often work together they are quite separate bodies. the labour party & the union movement don't always see eye to eye.
just because i'm a union member that doesn't automatically make me a labour party man.

Well labour stopped being a worker oriented party during the Keating government. Paul Keating and Bob Carr, the best Liberal leaders the Labour party ever had!

I love Terry McCrann's piece today...

KEVIN Rudd's wife is a living, breathing, succeeding demonstration of why John Howard's approach to industrial relations works and her husband's doesn't.

That's the most fundamental message of Therese Rein's business success. Not the possible 'conflict of interest' and her self-sacrifice in selling out.

But that she is a living, breathing, all-too-close, condemnation of her husband's core policy in his drive for political success.

It's not really a case of his political success having to take precedence over her business success, but that her success denies his basic political argument.

Perfectly outlines why she had to dump the company, it was proof her husband is a dudd.

oh Bent Mk2. i really expected more from you! quoting a opinion peace from a woman's magazine. tsk-tsk.

you're right. i humbly apologize to the australian womans weekly. it is a fine publication. with top notch recipes.

Interesting editorial from Alan Jones

If its true, and I assume it is, wonder why some smart Lib hasn't jumped all over this before??

GEERS 30 May 2007

Look, if this is interpreted as some kind of slavish support for John Howard, well I'll wear the criticism.

But this business that John Howard and Work Choices are going to destroy us and it's all unfair and uncaring and leads to utter exploitation of vulnerable people, where does this really stack up.

For years and years in this country businesses have gone broke, often through bad management, bad behaviour and like every walk of life, often unscrupulous behaviour.

There are minorities everywhere that are crook.

But to be fair, Bob Hawke was the boss of the ACTU.

He was the workers' champion, that's what the unions tell you.

But they did nothing about those workers that were left high and dry.

Nor did Paul Keating.

John Howard introduced the GEERS legislation.

General Employee Entitlements and Redundancy Scheme.

A basic payment scheme to assist workers who've lost their employment due to the liquidation or bankruptcy of their employer and who are owed certain entitlements.

So GEERS can't possibly cover the lot.

But it covers unpaid wages to a certain point, annual and long service leave to a certain point, payment in lieu of notice, redundancy pay to a certain point.

These are initiatives for the worker that were never known in this country.

When Bob Carr introduced draconian workers' compensation legislation which was going to leave workers destitute, and has.

Innocent people injured at work or on their way to work or in a motor vehicle accident, the worst legislation in Australia introduced and leaves people high and dry.

Bob Carr swallowed hook, line and sinker the stuff about ambulance-chasing lawyers and Santa Claus judges and introduced appalling legislation.

Not one squeak out of the union movement.

I was the one fighting that battle, and lost.

The union movement had the power and the obligation to stand up to Bob Carr.

They didn't.

Now the workers that they purport to represent are left high and dry.

Spare me this hogwash about John Howard on the one hand dudding workers and Labor leaders and the union movement being, on the other hand, their saviours.

Bent Mk2 said:
Interesting editorial from Alan Jones

Now thats the first time i have ever heard something Alan Jones has vomited out that has been referenced as 'interesting' :p

I liked it better when you where referencing the Womans Weekly :\