• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids your morning on methadone? (upset stomach)

smackcraft

Bluelighter
Well ive been on methadone for about a year and a half now , i cant remember when i first started feeling this but most mornings i wake up and my stomach feels rotten for about 30mins to an hour at most, usually a cup of tea helps but i am thinking of getting back in to work but this really puts me off as i usually have to sit around in the morning for that hour until i feel ready to get moving and do anything

Was just wondering does anyone else get that in the morning that is on a meth script ?

Im on 40Ml a day down from 90ml originaly although i do sometimes take less for a few days and then about 100ml on a saturday cos thats when i most want to go out and get some gear so it helps me stay away from the temptations a bit better

Yeah funny enough sometimes in the mornings, i get this weird fucking morning nausea shit. I dont know if it's from the methadone(110mg daily, been on for 6 months) or not but seems like it, though i dont get nausea at any other time even while on the methadone so to speak.

It's always between like 2-5am, usually always before the sun comes up.. Weird.

I wonder if its to do with our digestive systems being slowed down due to the opiates so anything we eat before we go to bed sits in our stomach over night and when we wake up we feel crappy due to it

wow thats kind of worrying that only 1 person feels the same

was hoping for more responces so i can try get an idea of what is wrong

i als get a mingin taste every day when i wake .....

i used to get it every now and then. now that i get a weekly supply i usually take 500 mg on tuesday when i get it and i will throwup after my first meal and after that im fine, then i dont need to take anymore until saturday. when i was going daily taking 100 mgs a day if i would miss a day or 2 and come back and take it it would cause nausea. it definitely has to do with the dose. see if you could lower it 5-10 mg i bet it would fix the nausea and you still wouldnt have wd problems

i just recently had to go back up from 30ml to 40ml a day because i was feeling ill for a while and the increase seems to have made me feel better through the day anyway , at that time i wasnt fucking around doing what i am now with taking heaps one day and less others

Im not surprised you threw up after 500mg of methadone tho, thats a hell of alot to take in one go

The other week i took about 110ml on the saturday and my next pick up was on a wednesday(i just changed to a saturday only pick up this week) so i had very little left over by tuesday and i felt the difference in me big time and couldnt wait to go get my script the next day , i felt more alert etc but couldnt sleep properly, not to being high but the lack of methadone so i dont think i could do the same idea as you of taking all that much and then none for days with out feeling it

I do remember when i was on 70ml and a supervised consumption i used to feel really ill every day after taking it i would feel ill as hell when i walked home it felt like my heart was flooded with the stuff , i know it wasnt that but thats how it felt in my body.. i would get home and was sweating like mad.. i had to lie down for ages until i felt right , i was so glad when i reduced and that went away

Something else i think has been making a difference is the amount of sleep, it seems that if i sleep for more than the needed amount 7-8hrs it makes it worse .. say i sleep for 12hrs i will feel it more than usual so could it be to do with over sleeping maybe ?

i used to get it every now and then. now that i get a weekly supply i usually take 500 mg on tuesday when i get it and i will throwup after my first meal and after that im fine, then i dont need to take anymore until saturday. when i was going daily taking 100 mgs a day if i would miss a day or 2 and come back and take it it would cause nausea. it definitely has to do with the dose. see if you could lower it 5-10 mg i bet it would fix the nausea and you still wouldnt have wd problems

I thought methadone had a ceiling limit of like 300mg? Maybe I'm mistaken even so that's like a couple grams of diesel man I bet you get sick taking that much, wd has gotta suck at that dose shit.
[/NSFW][/NSFW][/PHP]
NSFW:

damn bro maybe you should start taking it as instructed maybe you wont get sick smh.

damn bro maybe you should start taking it as instructed maybe you wont get sick smh.

are u meaning me or 84YLN3 ?

If me i was already feeling that way while i was sticking to my prescribed daily dose

My last two months (I think) on 'done I would wake up very, very nauseous and dry heave and sometimes vomit bile EVERY MORNING. I think it was kind of the methadone, but really a combination of anxiety and knowing that I would have to go to the clinic once again. It was strange. It was not withdrawal though I had tapered from 120mg to about 30mg when the nausea really started every day. Pretty sure anxiety was the biggest part. After I completed my taper, my withdrawal wasn't bad, I didn't have to go to the fucking clinic, and voila! No more nausea.

Do you make daily trips? Do you have any anxiety issues at all?

I quit methadone cold turkey about 50 days ago, but when I was on MMT ( ~70mg daily for 15 months) I would wake up literally every morning around 2 or 3am and could NOT sleep. Even if I had take homes with me, it was like clock work. Sometimes I miss is, but most of the time I hate it.

You could just have a faster metabolize than others and you start getting sick earlier than usual.

Well ive been on methadone for about a year and a half now , i cant remember when i first started feeling this but most mornings i wake up and my stomach feels rotten for about 30mins to an hour at most, usually a cup of tea helps but i am thinking of getting back in to work but this really puts me off as i usually have to sit around in the morning for that hour until i feel ready to get moving and do anything

Was just wondering does anyone else get that in the morning that is on a meth script ?

Im on 40Ml a day down from 90ml originaly although i do sometimes take less for a few days and then about 100ml on a saturday cos thats when i most want to go out and get some gear so it helps me stay away from the temptations a bit better
man I thought it was my dexedrine fuck yes. i have to lay down sometimes

My last two months (I think) on 'done I would wake up very, very nauseous and dry heave and sometimes vomit bile EVERY MORNING. I think it was kind of the methadone, but really a combination of anxiety and knowing that I would have to go to the clinic once again. It was strange. It was not withdrawal though I had tapered from 120mg to about 30mg when the nausea really started every day. Pretty sure anxiety was the biggest part. After I completed my taper, my withdrawal wasn't bad, I didn't have to go to the fucking clinic, and voila! No more nausea.

Do you make daily trips? Do you have any anxiety issues at all?

Yeah i do sometimes but they are usually drug enhanced , for some reason very simple mixes of things like Kalms or nytol will provoke me in to having anxiety for a short time as long as i stop the kalms or nytol of course

I too get that really dry feeling, especially in my mouth which has a revolting taste

Its strange since i have made this thread its not happened once

Im trying to think whats changed over the past week

I dont have to go out every day but sometimes i like to go a walk around the woods behind my house just to get some exercise

i think opiates actually slow the emptying of the stomach and what not, i dont understand it fully. For me anyways, it seems as though some of last nights meal just seems to sit in my stomach all night until i throw it up.

It's really weird though sometimes its there, othertimes its not. It is worse when i'm mildly dopesick.

Metabolism usually slows while on opiates, whether it be methadone, heroin, buprenorphine, or oxy. And this has an effect on the amount of stomach acid produced, and the amount of time food spends in the stomach... Usually food passes through the stomach quite fast, and it is in the intestines that a lot of the nourishment gets absorbed... Anyways, I used to have this problem while on heroin, and it would only be an issue if I didn't maintain a healthy diet. For example, on days where I'd eat late breakfast, and a small dinner, I'd often wake up with a nauseous feeling and in many cases, a glass of water or a cigarette would send me straight to the bathroom, puking. And this usually occurred as a result of A) very high doses of heroin, or B) if I was malnourished. Anyways, try keeping a regular schedule, in terms of your diet, and make sure you eat enough. Having lowered metabolism, and a stomach full of nothing but acid and fluid, will result in those nasty nauseous mornings. Of course, people are different, and some people have stomach issues that persist even when not using opiates, such as ulcers and the likes (Kurt Cobain used heroin as a way to kill his ulcer pains, and eventually it ended up as a vicious cycle, where he'd battle his ulcers with heroin, which in return made the ulcers worse). So eat well, and exercise, keep your metabolic rates as high as possible while on opiates, and see if that helps... It can take weeks to adjust, if you have been on opiates for a long time. Funny, I just got back from the clinic and posted in the Bupe megathread about eating habits, opiates and wd's and so on... I can't help myself, but to round off with the same pun as I did in the megathread post... Food for thought ;)

EDIT: I just spent the past two days in a semi-wd'ing state, and I used methadone to get through until todays collection of buprenorphine, and I did notice that the methadone had quite a profound effect on the stomach, compared to other oral opiates I've tried... Of course, the body is adjusting to me switching from bupe to methadone, but it really affected my appetite, and I haven't really eaten much since the first dose of methadone, and I felt a little queezy the two days on methadone, especially in the mornings. And as smackcraft mentioned, it also took me at least an hour to get over it, get something in my stomach (yoghurt and muesli), and get on with the day... Pain in the ass when one has to be somewhere at a given time (i.e. work or school).

Last edited:
I don't know much about it but my friend gave me one and the next day I felt like I was going to die. Puked all day long and when there was nothing left to puke the dry heaving set in. Never again.

I think a few guys mentioned it and I kind of agree as well that anxiety plays a role in this upset stomach/nausea in the morning business. Cuz when it happens to me im lik dry heaving, nothing coming out but bile and its gross as fuck. It happens like you said when I sleep for like 12 hours and basically pop one in my mouth as soon as I wake up and then it hits me kind of hard i guess and i feel sick.

Also, I too have to sit around for about an hour when I wake up before my stomach feels normal enough for me to function. It sucks. I go to the restroom like two times, sometimes 3.

Herb helps a bunch with the stomach.

I have been taking methadone for 3 years my highest dose was 120mg I now take 80. Or 8ml.. Anyway I wake up alot with this problem. I have actually gotten an endoscopy over it and they found no reason for it to be happening. The reason I think this is happening to us is because we all have acid reflux. When taking methadone your metabolism slows and when last nights dinner has been sitting in your stomach 5 hours to long and you have acid reflux it's obvious your going to get a stomach ache. My bigger problem is throwing up, most of the time I don't throw up but every now and again I will. If I throw up one time I'll start to feel better and then it's over; If I throw up twice my stomach starts to feel inflamed and begins to throb. I will then throw up over and over for hours and it only ends when I finally pass out from exhaustion.

i wake up, dont wash, dont eat, usually dont go to the toilet.
straight to my car, and to the clinic for my 120mg dose. for me methadone doesnt last 24hrs like its supposed to.
if its a day when i have a takehome i wake up very early, drink all 120mg of it, and go back to sleep for 3-5 hours to wake up at a 'normal' time for me.

thats my morning on methadone. oh, and i go to toilet for #2 about once a week. this was bad before i started opiates but now with methadone its once a week like clockwork. i dunno, i dont feel bad, and when ive had my bowels emptied, i feel fine although the whole process feels painful but i can bear it. i bought a laxative from the drug store but for some reason i havent used it even though i bought it 2 months ago. guess my once a week bowel syndrome doesnt bother me THAT much...or should it?