• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Your favorite songs about addiction.

I am not a fan of rap but breaking down by Mini Thin has a lot of words of wisdom.

By 'favorite', am considering all the extraneous bollocks, that has no meaning apart from pain. :)

These two do it for me hands down. I think they both perfectly capture that bitter-sweet experience of being in such a terrible situation but just not caring because you're so deep into the pleasure that you revel in the bad as much as you do in the good. Deep down, you crave the painful lows as much as you do the manic highs because you see it as paying the piper. It's not a good thing, but at that exact moment in time when you've found heaven on earth, it's far from being a bad thing. You think that your choices in life could've been better but they could've been far worse, because your consolation prize for living such a desperate, empty life is pleasure that straight people can't even imagine.

also thought of these, neither of them are about addiction specifically, but amazingly describe that feeling you get when you realize you're not in the driver's seat

Forever my queen - pentagram
Be forewarned - pentagram
Last days here -pentagram

If you've never heard of pentagram, look up these songs. Mostly written and sung by Bobby Liebling in the 70s and 80s, who to this day is still struggling with a heroin and crack addiction almost 30 years long. His music is absolutely amazing. There is a documentary from maybe 5-10 years ago chronicling his struggle to sober and get his band the worldwide game they clearly deseved. Absolutely heart wrenching story and music.

Real thing - Alice in chains
Would - Alice in chains
Hotel California - the eagles
Rocky mountain way - Joe Walsh
Lux aeterna - Kronos quartet
I am - drowning pool
Fuel - Metallica
Dumb - Nirvana
My darling - Eminem
Deja Vu - Eminem
The pot - tool
Sober - tool
Remedy - seether
Pop a pill - korn

Last edited:
Nikki Sixx's Heroin Diaries. The entire album helped me through recovery. I am also a fan of Alice in Chains, although I admit I probably enjoyed them more in addiction than in recovery.