Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Syriac Orthodox

• Russian Orthodox

• Native faith (please specify)

• Total voters
Closest that resembles me I suppose is Taoism because of my interest in Qi Gong and Tai Chi. I read Lau Tzu's Tao Te Ching recently and I just could not put it down. Jing is the opposite of resistance. When stressful situations become to much, Taoists say it's better to just give in. Energy work has been my thing for over a decade now. I love to read about it and learn about it. Recently found myself doing this thing, following the instructions of Taoism, where if I feel the need to perform a certain action I'll just start doing it straight away and the results have a profound boost on my emotional health, I find. Other strange ones, though, I'll get these sensations in my energy field sometimes as if a car driving on the road behind me is about to throw something at me. I'll turn around and stare at them as they drive by. Weird. I know. My town has a lotta those.

I personally believe nothing and everything.
If I had to choose a side for shits and giggles I would be Rastafari... which is not listed, thank you. :)
Jah protect I going in and I going out
From that time of birth
For Jah ever faithful
And Jah ever sure
So let the words of I mouth
And the meditations of I heart
Be acceptable in thy sight
Oh, Jah, Rastafari

Atheist here but I can respect/wrap my mind around/benefit from Buddhist philosophy and some Christian writings (though obviously not all). I try to get to know people no matter what their beliefs are because it's ideal to live in a society with free thinkers that can open your mind :)

if I feel the need to perform a certain action I'll just start doing it straight away and the results have a profound boost on my emotional health
This would be great advice for procrastinators / hesitators, and not so much OCD people. I absolutely have to limit the actions I feel need to be done right away and have to consider before I act because of who I am.

But it is a provocative idea and I'll mull around with it.

Gormur, I rather like Heathen by Wyrd. I was reading up on Heathenism just to understand more about it, then I started to understand why though it probably would have been better than fully Christianize all of Europe, it's not striking many chords with me. Specifically

One of the central concepts in Heathenry is wyrd, the force that connects everything in the universe throughout space and time. Heathens believe that all of their actions can have far reaching consequences through the web of wyrd. They understand that who they are, where they are, and what they are doing today is dependent on actions they and others have taken in the past, and that every choice they make in the present builds upon choices they have previously made.

A beautiful concept but they then connect it to the idea that we have "far-reaching free will". That is an illusion. Guaranteed. "What they are doing today is dependent on actions they and others have taken in the past". If that's true, then "present" thinking is kind of....silly to me. There is a present that we perceives ourselves in, but I tend to believe in eternal recurrence, determinism and reject free will (though believing in it would allow me to be a happier person) but it has already happened and because today exists, yesterday has to be just the way it was for today to be this way. Continue this thinking forward then Tomorrow must be impacted by the day we're in now, and so on. One person is a small fraction compared to 8 billion people on planet earth. If you do the math, that means there's 8 billion people "potentially" constantly utilizing minimalized free will, which may then impact/minimalize/cancel/impede other's "free choices".... you see where I'm going with this?

The whole quote is like "You can't change yesterday so change now so tomorrow can be better" which is quite illogical to me. If you can change today, why weren't you able to change yesterday, and the day before that, and the day before that assuming we are talking about an adult? I think that kind of defeats it. By referencing loosely causal determinism they're trying to support free will and I think that's the absolute weakest way to do it.

I may be wrong but the last thing that normally doesn't bode well with me is the polytheism facet of Heathenism. I do respect Hindu beliefs too, I just don't subscribe to them.

Thanks for sharing though, "Heathenism" is a pretty rare/unselected choice where I live, and it's quite refreshing to hear from people of different viewpoints.

You can only control yourself Captain and what you do and how you react.

You can set a good example for others. They will follow if you set a powerful example.

If everyone in the world did this, then the entire world would be a better place.

You CAN make your world a better place. You have the power to do that. So make your world awesome @Captain.Heroin
It is never too late to change and make your entire life and yourself just the way you want it to be.
That is pretty powerful.

Yes, I can, or could. There are two possibilities in eternal recurrence; that this is the "first iteration" and I have free will or some limited form of it (not necessarily though as reality could be fully programmed beforehand) OR.... or.... this is an echo of the first iteration and hence I only have free will because I had it and no longer do.

If eternal recurrence exists, and we always had free will every time, you could very easily end up making things a lot worse, not better and it would be somewhat bizarre for life to be like that. But I guess.... not impossible?

Yes, I can, or could. There are two possibilities in eternal recurrence; that this is the "first iteration" and I have free will or some limited form of it (not necessarily though as reality could be fully programmed beforehand) OR.... or.... this is an echo of the first iteration and hence I only have free will because I had it and no longer do.

If eternal recurrence exists, and we always had free will every time, you could very easily end up making things a lot worse, not better and it would be somewhat bizarre for life to be like that. But I guess.... not impossible?

Every life you live is a lesson that you yourself chose and agreed to beforehand.
It seems we choose the hardest things for us personally to overcome so that we may advance as fast as possible.

We do have a destiny and a destination.
You will know when you have arrived.
Until then, just keep going. You are doing just fine.

Keep it simple Captain.
Don’t break your brain with this stuff.
Just Shine!

❤️

...and then we'd be much stronger than people who are lazier and chose to be the Donald Trumps and Betsy DeVos' of the world? I can believe that I guess.

I typically think "no one chooses to be born" but....again I can't KNOW that. That would imply I knew I was in like some room and then I felt my soul being sucked out of it 100% against my will or whatever; that is crazy, I'd never purport such a thing and I don't think any human being ever has.

But again we maybe 100% blind to such information so it doesn't mess with our life experience.

I am open minded to possibilities, but these are my reasons for why I think the opposite but I love perspectives.

Yeah like I didn't get handed a silver spoon and millions of dollars then squander it all, sell out the country and then grope and/or rape 20+ women so.... I guess the hardest lives with minor iimprovement SURE as hell beat someone who would end up in hell if it exists LOL. DJT seems like... the most hell-bound person that most of society knows right now.

This would be great advice for procrastinators / hesitators, and not so much OCD people. I absolutely have to limit the actions I feel need to be done right away and have to consider before I act because of who I am.

But it is a provocative idea and I'll mull around with it.
"Definitely know your limits". Not sure if it's my illness but I've had all sorts of feelings that wanted to become actions, stemming back to when I was 19 and wanted to kill my friend because he was always trying to get me to imagine horrible ways that people could die, wanting to punch and kick people which I sometimes did, and then there were ones of driving a car to somewhere and suddenly getting a strong feeling to drive off the road and/or into a tree. I've definitely become more minimal about this way of life, haha. No longer have thoughts of wanting to hurt people or myself, but sometimes I do want to take an action to the extreme. But I think the important part is the bit you took from that. It can be hard to start a project, especially when it's expected to be more difficult than it actually is. Taking the first step begins the rewarding process.

"Heathenism" is a pretty rare/unselected choice where I live, and it's quite refreshing to hear from people of different viewpoints.

Well to be sure, my ancestors are all pagans. I'm a direct descendant of the Danish royal family, but they were vikings before about 900 AD

"Definitely know your limits". Not sure if it's my illness but I've had all sorts of feelings that wanted to become actions, stemming back to when I was 19 and wanted to kill my friend because he was always trying to get me to imagine horrible ways that people could die, wanting to punch and kick people which I sometimes did, and then there were ones of driving a car to somewhere and suddenly getting a strong feeling to drive off the road and/or into a tree. I've definitely become more minimal about this way of life, haha. No longer have thoughts of wanting to hurt people or myself, but sometimes I do want to take an action to the extreme. But I think the important part is the bit you took from that. It can be hard to start a project, especially when it's expected to be more difficult than it actually is. Taking the first step begins the rewarding process.
In psychology these thoughts happen with certain conditions, you can safely talk it out with a therapist and sometimes even women get it and they're the kind who couldn't *stand* The thought of hurting their own kids, etc. Sometimes obsessive thoughts about these types of things aren't our true desires but ... in my mind ... neurological misfiring.

These are also largely for many people intrusive thoughts, meaning they occur and you don't want them to, so that's not really your mind you feel me? It's your brain making you think your mind is thinking it, from neurological misfiring.

This is largely how I have to keep reminding myself "self-hate, suicidal ideas, etc." are a neurological misfiring and that I don't actually have to give into what my brain is trying to (or inadvertently) delude/ing me into.

I think most people are good at heart, and most things people regret in their lives can be explained in this way. Most people deserve forgiveness (this would be related to Christianity *a lot* more than atheism by the way) but it's how I see the world.

Oh, and the tendency to have more of those thoughts and less over time = largely a trend observed in science/psychology, and can be connected to higher testosterone levels when you are younger (violence is observed in other primate species, fighting over mates for instance, etc.) does that mean they need to evolve and create A MONKEY PRISON? Maybe....maybe not. I don't know. I could see it both ways. The criminal justice system in America is one of the worst ones in the whole world. And the fact it has decreased in time = a very good sign, largely considered a recovery to the psychology world (psych world is inherently more worried about the serial killers who do it and then continue like Jeffery Dahmer LOL).

So if this is part of nature/science, then you can learn not to because we've evolved the past our base instincts. I.e. maybe DJT just had an "instinct" to grope all those women "and we should forgive him" LOL NOPE...hahaha. But...harboring resentment in my heart against the president is only going to cause me woes, ill health mentally and or physically, stress, etc..... forgiveness is a very freeing thing. Or at least "not forgetting but no longer resenting and moving on", depending on the circumstances.

Well to be sure, my ancestors are all pagans. I'm a direct descendant of the Danish royal family, but they were vikings before about 900 AD
Do you feel obligated to continue your people's traditions including religion? Just curious; I didn't and I still heavily respect Christians despite being an atheist. When I was young and in church the father of a bible study group for youth's SON said "I don't know whether I really believe in god" when it was like a free question week and he goes "That's ok and what a lot of us go through," Most Christians I encounter don't react so well to "atheism" but, that was EXTREMELY enlightening to see in a (at the time) not liberal state. It showed me that they were accepting and not going to despise/shun you for being someone who questions it.

Because in Iran = you'd die LOL and or your parents would beat the words out of your mouth before you could say them, I'm assuming. Pretty rough death penalty laws over there.

I see certain things alien to me; like religion. To me that's just belief in supernatural things. I don't feel sentiment towards objects around me. Rather, I feel close to nature and instinct. It sounds weird but i've seen the future through the eyes of my ancestors. I'm very in-tune with nature, so that makes sense

I don't know anything about neo-paganism but when i view it, it makes sense to me. I guess i just use intuition ;)

EDITED: Sorry, I neglected to add Ethiopic Orthodox, Shinto, Jainist, Sikh*, Christian Scientist, Scientologist. I figured it'd be good to let people explain their beliefs. I guess Rastafarianism and indigenous beliefs can be whole religions, but then what about Spiritism? It's not always clear to me what a religion is made up of

-G

Last edited: