• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Year long temazepam (restoril) use - trying to stop and need advice

blueshoe

Greenlighter
Hello bluelighters,

I was prescribed 30mg temazepam (restoril) for insomnia in December 2015. I have been taking 30mg 3-4 days per week, sometimes 7 days per week since then. Recently I've noticed that 30mg often isn't enough and I've had to take another 15mg or even 2 30mg pills for it to help me sleep. I'm realizing this means I've developed tolerance and I want to stop taking it before I become totally dependent (maybe that's already happened).

Can anyone provide insight on what dosage and frequency of temazepam causes dependence and withdrawel and the best way to help decrease these effects? I've heard diazepam helps, but I'm weary of getting another benzo script to help honestly. Anyone stoppped taking temazepam successfully and know how long it took for the rebound insomnia/anxiety and other withdrawel symtoms to subside? I'm very nervous it will take months as I've read that before but the exact dosage and time taken is never detailed.

Any help anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Blueshoe,

Any dose of a benzodiazepine can cause dependancy. I would highly recommend reporting the lack of symptom relief to your prescribing doctor and DO NOT try and cold turkey a benzodiazepine medication. It is one of a very few types of drugs that can cause death when entering and enduring withdrawal. I also recommend that you do not take more than is prescribed and do not take benzodiazepine medication every day. Dependancy to benzodiazepine medication and it's subsequent withdrawal syndromes mirror that of alcohol withdrawal. Both substances can lead to death during withdrawal but typically require you to have a severe dependancy. Withdrawing from any benzodiazepine will increase your risk of seizure activity.

Please report all active and non-active symptom relief to your prescribing doctor and follow their instructions.