• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Xenon, potential applications for me/cfs and other diseases

my blood pressure tends to the lower side of normal (100/50, 120/60 ish), and while I don't check it obsessively I sometimes check it while on certain drugs just to see

I don;t know the mechanism behind NMDA antagonists raising blood pressure... some like 3-MeO-PCP and the like are really bad for that especially at higher doses (180/90+ bp) or dxm, but I didn't find memantine to do that, maybe it has to do with dopamine receptor agonist activity?

I would kind of expect that by now there would be a warning out if memantine caused sudden death by whatever mechanism, after all it is a FDA approved drug, they did all sorts of extensive toxicity testing on it

I have no experience with bromantane but it seems worth a try, it may work as a stimulant/antidepressant but I would not expect miracles, certainly it is not a NMDA antagonist in terms of effects!

also, I was unaware memantine caused any sort of anticholinergic effects? I didn't notice them

Last edited:
Also, maybe look into building a bag-type rebreather for xenon. Add a water and CO2 absorber carrtridge, and whammo... all the xenon you want, just exhale it into the bag and rebreathe it.
Do u have any links to a design instruction or prototype for that?

Memantine is more effective than adamantamine/amantadine is. Has more selectivity for NMDA too.

I did not find that blood pressure was unduly elevated when I was using it, and I was taking quite high doses, maybe 100mg, 200mg tops. It lasted a good long time though.
I never asked but what were the subjective effects like. Dissociative , analgesic, sedating???

don;t know the mechanism behind NMDA antagonists raising blood pressure... some like 3-MeO-PCP and the like are really bad for that especially at higher doses (180/90+ bp) or dxm, but I didn't find memantine to do that, maybe it has to do with dopamine receptor agonist activity?

I would kind of expect that by now there would be a warning out if memantine caused sudden death by whatever mechanism, after all it is a FDA approved drug, they did all sorts of extensive toxicity testing on it
I'm pretty sure blood pressure spikes are listed as a relatively more common side effect but it may not be serious enough to have a black box warning. And strokes are also listed as a side effect, but less common. I'm not sure though that the effects on blood pressure are necessarily bc of the nmda antagonism after all there are off target effects although it's TRUEthat most nmda antagonists raise bp, some dont. Like magnesium or xenon
, I was unaware memantine caused any sort of anticholinergic effects? I didn't notice them
Yes, this is one thing I'm sure of , it's one if the reasons it can cause paradoxical brain fog in alzheimers patients early on although I think the long term effects of the nmda antagonism tend to outweigh that. But I'm not so worried about anticholinergic effects I just need to remember that in terms of interactions, since I take antihistamines regularly for mcas
I have no experience with bromantane but it seems worth a try, it may work as a stimulant/antidepressant but I would not expect miracles, certainly it is not a NMDA antagonist in terms of effects!
Yeah I guess I know it's not an nmda antagonist but despite being more well known for cognitive improvement it seems to improve endurance and various types of pain , which as far as I know most stimulants do not do. So I'm curious about reports on subjective effects and speculations on its pharmacology

Actually stimulants are well-documented in reducing pain and improving endurance. Even caffeine is shown to substantially improve pain relief when combined with pain relievers. Amphetamine has been shown to produce pain relief on its own. As for endurance, stimulants are primarily used to increase wakefulness, energy and endurance. I'd say it's part of the primary effect users seek from them.

i didnt realize before the xenon that im like in pain every second of the day
I've had the same experience with nitrous several times before, and I've always found it unsettling. I could easily see why dissos could be addictive for me, as they can produce the sensation of living in a world without the pain inherent in corporeal existence. Even more unsettling is that it has been just as true for emotional pain. I mean, yikes, that's just scary. The only other drug experience I've had that felt as troubling was my first experience with Adderall, which just made me feel like a better version of my normal self. Experiences like that are big, red warning signs for me.

Atomic:
Rapid Response:

Nitrous Oxide volumes from an 8 gram cartridge

An editorial on abuse of nitrous oxide did not mention the volumes produced. [1] Previous measurements by charging an empty air-filled cream maker with an 8 gram N2O cartridge produced 3.24 Litres of nitrous oxide including 2% oxygen. [2] Manufactured small aluminium holders (crackers) are available in which a cartridge is pushed by a screw thread up to a brass spike that penetrates the cartridge tip releasing gas into an attached balloon. Instead of a balloon a N2O filled 1 litre anaesthetic reservoir bag was emptied by filling and discharging to atmosphere with a 60 ml syringe via a three way tap until empty. 3.67 Litres of N2O was produced (41 discharges x 60ml + 10ml) The bag was emptied to create the same vacuum as before discharge. Both crackers and 8g cylinder cartridges are easily available even though proscribed by law.

So

This means those nitrous balloons were fucking 3 liters each!

But

While that's bad...

Xenon is a very different density

So we'd need to divide or multiply to get the answer quickly about

How much amount you're actually getting per volume or whatever

Ugh

How much mass I mean?

The fact that xenon is 4.5 times as dense as room air , does that mean a balloon the same size as the 3 liter nitrous one would have more xenon or less

So I guess volume is volume, it's not mass, but I'm then confused by what it could mean when we talk about gases being 100 liters but they're compressed... like is that 100 liters now referring to mass like in a shorthand roundabout way, rather than volume, bc they're saying its 100 liters [at regular air pressure] even if its compressed into a volume that tends to hold 2 liters?

I'm just trying to figure out what's the difference between a medium sized balloon of nitrous (which apparently is like 3.5 liters), and that same size of xenon. Am I being foolish, is this like pound of feathers or pound of lead? Or would there be a difference in volume even if in the same container? Bc xenon is so much denser than nitrous it's probably less particles of it in same space despite more mass...

Huh ...

Lithium hydroxide is used in breathing gas purification systems for spacecraft, submarines, and rebreathers to remove carbon dioxide from exhaled gas by producing lithium carbonate and water:[13]

2 LiOH•H2O + CO2 → Li2CO3 + 3 H2O
or

2 LiOH + CO2 → Li2CO3 + H2O
The latter, anhydrous hydroxide, is preferred for its lower mass and lesser water production for respirator systems in spacecraft. One gram of anhydrous lithium hydroxide can remove 450 cm3 of carbon dioxide gas. The monohydrate loses its water at 100–110 °C.

Funny enough Hamilton's Pharmacopeia Season 3 Episode 3 is about Xenon and its use as an anesthetic