Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Xenical to be avail OTC

Paulpaulpaul

Bluelighter
Just heard the news, Xenical is to be availiable OTC from May 1st. Sounds good to me because I probably wouldnt qualify for the treatment, the website says so (about 10 kgs or so to loose). The problem is I have lost about 10 kgs allready but just got this bit extra to go but it just wont budge!! I am thinking Xenical might help now its OTC.

I am wondering though about what the pharmacists will be like with this, obviously they wont just give it to anyone, anybody know what to expect here?

Sounds promising, I have a bit of weight to lose but am embaressed to go to a doctor. Does anyone know how much it costs without a perscription? And how effective it is?

Anal leakage? haha sounds interesting..

However, because this excess fat goes straight through the body, dieters are advised to eat a low-fat diet otherwise they can get diarrhea.

^^ from above URL

so u pretty much have to eat right too? else ull making ur undies dirty?

well atleast it makes weight loss easier and teachs people to eat properly?

Johnboy, they've just looked at in a negative way. It should have read....
Enjoying "The known side-effects of Xenical include Diarrhea, Anal leakage, Flatulence and Bowel pain" .

Sorry if this is against guidelines but the press release i read said it would be $140 a month.

hey wow. i wish i could afford that. it'd be perfect for a bulimic, finally a laxie that makes you loose weight

Xenical sux. I tried it for half a month about 4-5 years ago. Although I never left any nasty skidmarks, I came very close once and I gave up on it.

I kinda doubt that pharmacists actually know how they're going to handle requests for xenical OTC just yet. The pharmacy guild is usually very last minute with these sorts of events and last I heard (before leaving work at 6pm yesterday) there was no real information on guidelines etc to providing xenical OTC. A similar thing happened in the lead up to the morning after pill going OTC, although if memory serves me correctly, they actually set up guidelines during the week before it was available.

Xenical has always been around $140 for a month's supply. Additionally, the fact that Xenical rushes fat through the body is the whole point with this treatment. It is an extra incentive to stick to your diet, and give you a new, unpleasant association with fatty foods. It's all about learning, which is why if you have less than 10kg to lose, it is not recommended, because they believe this learning process takes 6 months or so. This is why the treatment tends to be so successful, because once the person is off the medication (after their 6 month learning period) they have learnt on a deeper level about the fat content of so many foods, and are able to maintain a low fat diet.

Xenical is $132 for a pack of 86 tabs. On prescription you can get back $50 from your private health fund. Now they are OTC you cannot get back the $50 which kinda sucks