• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Xanax

Melancholy Hill

Bluelighter
So I have recently come to the conclusion than Xanax basically does ANYTHNG for me anymore (recreationally or medicinally). I have been prescribed 1mg blue footballs for approximately 6 months now and at first I could take 4 for them to equal two bars, then I would have to take 5 at a time to get a decent buzz. Recently tonight, I ingested 10 of them to equal 5 bars and barely felt ANYTHING other than maybe some very mild relaxation. I even took 400mg of Tagamet 30 minutes prior to taking the Alprazolam which I head is supposed to potentiate the Xanax and still nothing. I understand white grapefruit juice supposably potentiates Xanax better but for some reason I can't find PURE white grapefruit juice anywhere. Plus is tastes like cat piss.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I completely understand benzo tolerants skyrocket after awhile of taking them, but is there any there any other way to decrese the tolerance besides abstinence (I love my benzos too much lol)

Thanks for the help or suggestions everybody!

No, there's no other way to decrease tolerance other than a tolerance break.

You are fucking up your GABA system and withdrawal can even kill you so imo you should think twice about abusing benzos...

yeah as klienerkiffer said, you're playing with fire man
the only thing you can do is to cut down.

I have a question that is related, but not entirely. I am currently using clonazepam 1 on 3 days, is that enough to make me eventually hit a tolerance where I need to take more than 2mg to feel the muscle relaxing effect? (it is the only effect I desire its for tension headache)

OP, id quit messing with benzos at those doses. like the others have said, benzo wd is no fucking joke. I'll take another opi wd over that any day.

I understand where you guys are coming from and appreciate your advice and input, but for some reason I have never had a benzo withdrawal, or at least anything noticeable. I get Xanax, Restoril, AND Klonopin prescribed to be and have run out weeks early on several occasions with no noticeable withdrawal symptoms...

Now, opioids on the other hand, which I was taking after my car accident (Norco 10mgs) 3 times a day I literally felt like I was dying if I stopped taking them for ONE day, It was like a severe flu (muscle pain, body aches, vomiting, headaches, insomnia, and my leave favorite of them all--restless legs syndrome).

Last edited:
^ you're lucky that you haven't experienced benzo wd's yet, but at the rate you're going its only a matter of time.
and if you think opiate wd sucked - just wait.

Oxy wds are way worse IMO, however, I did have a mild seizure once from quitting Xanax ct, and it scared the crap out of me. I was trying to talk to someone and the words wouldn't come out. Wasn't sure at the time if I might be having a stroke. Needless to say, you couldn't pay me take fuck around with benzos anymore.

one way to not have the meds work is by not abusing them... it seems like you have abused them from the very beginning... u were prescribed 1 mg.... but u would take 4...

seems pretty smart. i understand you mean 1 mg as in thats what each pill is but the way you conveyed your message i can almost bet your probably only prescribed them on a as needed basis or 1 mg in the morning and 1 in the afternoon...?

stop taking them to get HIGH. and take them when you need them.

your best bet is now to do a taper regimen to get down to a lower dose then whats prescribed for you, then jump back up to your Prescribed dose... either that works 'barely' or your gonna have to taper to zero, then start back up...

It specially says on the bottle to take them THREE times a day, and NOT as needed. So even if I still took them three times a day as it says, I would still eventually build a tolerance.

How long would I have to be abstinence from them to lower my tolerance back to normal? Weeks, months, years? Because I was hit by a van going and 50mph while I was crossing the highway and suffered from a traumatic brain injury and a subdural hematoma. These two conditions give me extreme anxiety and really high irritability, hence while these medications are prescribed... I wasn't abusing them at first until they stopped working, by the way,

Also, one more question... If I have a tolerance to Xanax, would I also have a tolerance to Klonopin or Restoril as well, since they are both benzos but atc in different ways?

Thanks a lot for the help everyone!

It specially says on the bottle to take them THREE times a time, and NOT as needed. So even if I still took them three times a day as it says, I would still eventually build a tolerance.

yep.

How long would I have to be abstinence from them to lower my tolerance back to normal? Weeks, months, years?

that's a pretty subjective question - but a very rough guess would be around a month?

Also, one more question... If I have a tolerance to Xanax, would I also have a tolerance to Klonopin or Restoril as well, since they are both benzos but at in different ways?

yeah, you kinda answered that one yourself.; yes, they're all benzos ad therefore cross-tolerant.

bro. it seems as though u will be on benzos for the rest of your life... if you are comfortable with that then basically your going to need to bump up your dose... are you able to talk to your doctor>

also wjhere in florida do you live. im in WPB/Broward / Boca area

^ you're lucky that you haven't experienced benzo wd's yet, but at the rate you're going its only a matter of time.

I second this. Take it from someone that's been prescribed xanax for years that the way you're going you're going to develop a big physical dependency. Knowing what I know now I wish my doctor had only prescribed it to take as needed, not daily because now I'm looking at a potentially long taper if I ever want to get off. If you don't feel that it's working I'd suggest working with a doctor to find a different medication rather than abusing your medication because you're going to be in a world of hurt if you run out or get cut off.

This
Eventually you'll experience withdrawal and it'll get worse every time, it's called kindling

bro. it seems as though u will be on benzos for the rest of your life... if you are comfortable with that then basically your going to need to bump up your dose... are you able to talk to your doctor>

also wjhere in florida do you live. im in WPB/Broward / Boca area

Manatee County, near Bradenton, Palmetto, Ellenton, Terra Ceia, etc. It is pretty much the heroin epidemic of Florida. People die on a daily basis from heroin ODs. It's quit sad, actually.

But Since Florida is the pill mill capital of the world (or was at one point) It is virtually impossible to get pain medication prescribed to you. I had 6 broken ribs and a broken jaw and got twenty 5mg Lortabs LOL.

The heroin epidemic has skyrocketed due to this crackdown especially in FLorida. No doctors want to prescribe pain medication anymore. Some pain management doctors even test your blood levels too see if there is the right amount of hydrocodone/oxycodone in your blood levels--too much and you're cut off from abusing them. Too little and you're also cut off from being suspectible of selling them.

It specially says on the bottle to take them THREE times a day, and NOT as needed. So even if I still took them three times a day as it says, I would still eventually build a tolerance.

Because taking 3, 1mg doses spread throughout the day is the same as taking 10 at once...

^ He was being sarcastic.. But he's at 420 posts, so I don't think he's going to want to fuck that number up on explaining it. lol

You're in for a rough ride.
This summer I binged on about 180 1mg xanax tablets over a six week period. I hadn't taken any benzos in over 4 years but I'm on 4mg daily suboxone maintenance.

My last day taking any was Aug 24th. I didn't feel normal until this week. The anxiety has been crushing. My balance and coordination were way off. I had trouble with common personal interactions.

For the buzz I got (almost nothing) the wds were not worth it. Not even close.
Xanax is a scary thing.