• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

XANAX: Withdrawal is kicking my ass

also back to OP.
someday i want to ween from my xanax to valium.
my thoughts on valium is that it is completely not as strong as xanax. as long as you don't take more and don't take too much as well.

you cannot just quit !!! it's the law of the universe.
losing weight, do it gradually.
just don't over do it take your time.

but by all means continue to quit.
even with the smallest bit and amount you will still be taking something.

quitting is complete freedom and that is what you will get.

personally i wished i was able to take valium, because xanax was always too strong for me.

i don't know why xanax is pushed so much, ( maybe because of it's potency) but the valium for me would be a great follow through to help go through with the taper.

Agree 100% and I can only repeat what I said above, yesterday. Looking back I think cold turkey is an insane idea, for all the reasons you mention. Done no exercise for a year? You aren't going to drop 35 pounds and look great after one hour at the gym. Same thing here. Been dropping xanax like tic tacs for a year and expect to just switch it off? Forget it! The hardest thing for me was that for the first time, I really wanted to not take xanax anymore. I wanted it OUT. But cold turkey was horrifying and I actually had all the warning symptoms of a heart attack or stroke until I had to go get another strip. But, I got a month's worth of Valium at the same time and used that to phase out the xanax and mask the xanax withdrawal, and it - so far - has worked fine for me. I would take Valium again quite happily - I will never take xanax again.

I am really happy to hear that @billyj

Good work!
👍

Thank you! That's a lovely thing to say. The xanax cold turkey was a nightmare, and I'm not using that word lightly. In fact, it was like living inside a cheap, 70s horror movie. It was genuinely frightening, and there was no end to it. I found a phase out to Valium and a taper off that has worked so far. Best outcome is that I don't look at Valium as an option for me anymore - that shit has sharp teeth.

I've only skimmed over the thread, but my advice would be to figure out what xanax dose you're stable on and what the equivalent dose of clonazepam is, then have your doctor switch you to that and then taper you down. That would be the most painless method in a perfect world imo anyways.

I've only skimmed over the thread, but my advice would be to figure out what xanax dose you're stable on and what the equivalent dose of clonazepam is, then have your doctor switch you to that and then taper you down. That would be the most painless method in a perfect world imo anyways.

I would not advise a change to clonazepam at all.
It is just as bad as Xanax.

The move to Valium is the WAY better option.

I stopped taking 90 mg Valium a day and just noticed I did not sleep well for a few months.
That was way back when I had no idea that it had withdrawal.

Thank you! That's a lovely thing to say. The xanax cold turkey was a nightmare, and I'm not using that word lightly. In fact, it was like living inside a cheap, 70s horror movie. It was genuinely frightening, and there was no end to it. I found a phase out to Valium and a taper off that has worked so far. Best outcome is that I don't look at Valium as an option for me anymore - that shit has sharp teeth.
😁 You are welcome.
Well done!

Yeah. I know.
great explanation of it.
Going without 1 mg clonazepam for 5 days was horrific.
(see my post on the first page about having to walk constantly or my leg started to seizure up and it travelled through my body)
I was hallucinating.
Clonazepam withdrawal is horror!

You did a good move by going on the Valium.

I would not advise a change to clonazepam at all.
It is just as bad as Xanax.

The move to Valium is the WAY better option.

I stopped taking 90 mg Valium a day and just noticed I did not sleep well for a few months.
That was way back when I had no idea that it had withdrawal.

I don't agree... Clonazepam has a much longer half life than xanax. My doctor switched me to it then tapered me down, and it was surprisingly painless. Valium could work too but I don't think clonazepam is a bad option at all.

I don't agree... Clonazepam has a much longer half life than xanax. My doctor switched me to it then tapered me down, and it was surprisingly painless. Valium could work too but I don't think clonazepam is a bad option at all.
I think it's a case by case thing. And even then it can be different for the same person at different times or at older ages. I did xanax cold turkey several times in my 20s and never missed a beat. Now I'm in my late 40s, I found the last couple of times coming of xanax to be ferocious and potentially deadly. The switch to valium followed by a rapid taper off that worked for me this time around. I feel great one month after my last pill - I haven't even had a bad night's sleep. That combo worked for me, this time around. If I have any brains there won't be another time.

Going without 1 mg clonazepam for 5 days was horrific.
(see my post on the first page about having to walk constantly or my leg started to seizure up and it travelled through my body)
I was hallucinating.
Clonazepam withdrawal is horror!

That's because you didn't taper. My doctor TAPERED me off of clonazepam and it was relatively painless. You're basing your dislike of a drug on your experience of not coming off of it correctly. If you go off 1mgs of anything cold turkey it's not gonna be pleasant.

That's because you didn't taper. My doctor TAPERED me off of clonazepam and it was relatively painless. You're basing your dislike of a drug on your experience of not coming off of it correctly. If you go off 1mgs of anything cold turkey it's not gonna be pleasant.

Good to know.
Thank you.

well since i feel i could help out a lil but man please go see a dr go to er ~!!!!!!!!!! I say that to say this no saying rehab or what not just get a dr to taper u off benzos i had seizures all that crazy ish~!!!!!! but man nothing ends it but u need to get a script a come off the proper way ~!!