• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Xanax withdrawal complications. In need of help please!

Maybe also go armed with the Ashton Manual just in case. I know drs don't like to be told something they don't know but im just so hoping you can get on a proper plan. Some people just cannot do rapid benzo detox and be ok, im one of them which is why im following this thread so closely.

AnythingEverything-thanks for all your help so far. Today i had my doc appt with what i thought was going to be a psychologist, but it turned out it was just a SECOND intake screening...and i wont see an actual psych until another month!!!! WTF?!?!?! in another month im going to either be so far thru the wd that a taper wont be helpful, or dead. i hate this god damn town. it was soooo easy for me to get put on the xanax in the first place, so why is it IMPOSSIBLE to get put on a taper to get off?! this is just sadistic. the dizziness is so severe i can barely walk. im constantly tempted to go back to the ER but i know they arent going to do anything unless im literally dying. im so fucking worried that theres something seriously wrong with me...this dizziness is so fucking severe i cant even describe it. i think i might try the lexapro that was prescribed to me last month, but im so nervous about taking anything. i think i tried lexapro like 5 years ago and it made me feel dizzy and foggy headed. which if thats the case i rly dont want to temp anything that could potentiate this dizziness. i finally got a solid 10 hrs of sleep last night which was amazing, but i woke feeling worse than i did yesterday. my anxiety is constantly peaked and this fucking head pressure and chest/arm pain is unbearable. i find myself constantly eating as well. i dont eat big meals, but i find myself constantly snacking which is unlike me. i feel REALLY out of shape and i went from losing weight in the beginning of this to gaining weight, which is also unlike me. ive been the same weight for 12 years!!! im so terrified, i cant shake the feeling that im going to die.

First your Doctor is irresponsible for his actions. Xanax withdrawal is very dangerous and can from long term use lead to the very things you described. I don't want to freak you out but I think honesty is the best for you rather than blow smoke up your butt, but it can take years for the effects to go away from long term abuse or even just long term proper dosage. Grand mal seizures are one symptom, blurred vision, headaches, seeing trails, severe panic attacks. The list is terrifying and I lived with someone who took 2 1 mg doses a day for years, ran out and the withdrawals started immediately. She orders hers from overseas and gets them delivered to the US now. Still only takes 1 mg a day and has done this without problem for years. Doctors can prescribe 0.25, 0.5, 1 and 2mg doses that can be used to wean someone off supervised. I would continue to search using harm reduction centres as a source to find addiction friendly doctors. There should be, but may not be, a doctor who gets it and may have you come in daily to receive a dosage as they do with heroin addicts using methadone. These drugs are supposed to be used short term, and depending on how long your doctor prescribed it he sounds somewhat culpable for letting it go on so long without weaning. I would keep searching but I don't know how it is in the US, and State to State harm reduction may be looked upon either favourably or not. If you were super rich I have no doubt there would be a lot of doctors who would come to your home and help you, the 99% are simply on their own. Doctors training in addiction is less than a days training up until recently and unfortunately with the stigma of addiction it's a problem. Try Psychiatrists, keep pushing and if you have someone like a spouse that is around when it happens have them film it as they call 911 to show the reality to a doctor. I know there are sympathetic ones out there, perhaps that lost someone to addiction but you have to just keep pushing. I wish you the best, if you want to talk to my wife about it she is willing.

Weird that I can't message you again for 3 hours, still reading the rules here. I hear you, but if you decide to call them maybe just maybe they could give you some idea of how to minimize some of the symptoms you are destined to go through. I can tell you when my wife quit the first time, before realizing she needed it to function properly, it does pass in the sense that the symptoms are less frequent even though it takes a long time for your body and mind to return to normal. In other words you'll have the crappiest days, and then some okay days and embrace those days. The problem is it's not the drug leaving your system, that does take a little time, but it's your brain chemistry has been altered severely and your body depends on it. It will pass, no matter how bad you feel, it will.

wow...so today was a REALLY bad day, especially the dizziness. i got to the point of nearly calling 911 again, could barely walk straight, couldnt concentrate, hyperventilating, chest pressure, numb left arm, and the million other constant symptoms...anyway i figured hell with it, i might as well try the meclizine i already feel like im gonna die so whats the worst that could happen? i popped one and strapped myself in for the ride. suffered for about another hour then i started to feel a bit better. maybe it was the placebo effect, maybe it passed on its own, or maybe it was the meclizine. either way i'll take it! i think im gonna stock up on meclizine now cuz i literally havent had a break from the dizziness in almost 3 weeks now. i mean its still there but barely! i dont feel as anxious either. i still have the millions of other symptoms but at this point i could care less! this feels like a fucking vacation to hawaii compared to the dizzy hell i've been living in!

Pahn, is there any way you can get to a big hospital or a proper dr in another town? I was in the same position (400 person town) and ended up travelling 4 hours to the city to find my suboxone and Benzo educated dr. It wasn't easy as I had a business to run and 5 children but it had to be done as I could not cope with even getting out of bed (from the benzo withdrawal with no added physical illness) let alone doing my life.

Im glad one medicine has helped you but I really hope you can get some decent help. Small towns can really really suck, im so glad to be back in the city now!

theres ZERO chance of that happening. i dont have a car, and even if i did miraculously find a ride out of town, i would once again have to first make the appointment, which should be at least a week away, then the first appt is ALWAYS going to be a preliminary appt in which they wont prescribe me anything, and in the off chance i finally do get prescribed something im going to have to continue to travel there which as i stated before is NOT going to happen. i have ZERO means of transportation. the nearest town i could get help would be about a 2-3 hr drive.

I feel your pain so just throwing out ideas. I couldn't drive muself while in withdrawals and had to take 5 kids along then did have to go monthly (4 hour drive) for awhile. I hope you can figure something out.

ugh...so the dizziness came back with a vengeance today. seems to be getting worse by the day, and the meclizine definitely did NOT help this time. i think it was more or less the placebo effect yesterday. its really weird, it seems like the dizziness is the worst when i first wake up, and stays bad throughout the day, but at night it starts to dissipate. usually about 8 hours of being awake i start to feel much better. the shitty thing is i cannot function whatsoever during the day. i almost went back to the ER again today because it was so bad. ive searched everywhere and i know dizziness is a common symptom, but ive yet to find ANYONE whos experienced anything this severe. even the ashton manual describes the dizziness like a subtle symptom, nothing like this raging dizzy hell i have which fuels the paranoia that theres some underlying health issue wrong with me! i really dont know what to do anymore.

Can you measure your blood pressure?
I once experienced this dizziness after taking benzos only one week straight. Iirc my blood pressure was extremely low, like 95/55 or so, but it subsided after two days.

ya unfortunately i dont have the equipment to monitor my blood pressure. out of the several times i went to the ER, i had high blood pressure in my panicked state, but it would level out to "normal" when i relaxed. at least the docs told me it was normal, i never really knew the exact measurement. its strange, today i woke up and barely feel dizzy which is extremely unprecedented! i would be ecstatic, but the pain in my left chest is triple what it normally is, so i guess that kinda tips the scales back to hell. im going to go back to see my doc tomor about this "costochondritis" if that even is what im experiencing. its terrifying because i feel like its something more serious with my lungs or heart, but whats weird is what comforts me the most is the fact that i havent died from it yet hahaha. as morbid as that sounds, i figure if it was a heart problem i would have had a heart attack/stroke by now or some other complication. i mean i know its still possible to have some sort of heart or lung condition and not immediately keel over from it, but hey my irrational logic is helping me coupe so good enough for me!