• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Xanax use / tolerance question

TrapKing

Greenlighter
So I use Xanax both recreationally and for the occasional self-treatment of anxiety. Although the latter is pretty rare, it's mostly for recreation. The average dose I consume is anywhere from 0.5mg - 1.0mg and the average wait time I take in between doses is about 2 to 3 days. I've been doing this for about a month now and haven't experienced any withdraw symptoms or a significant increase in tolerance. My question is should I expect a significant increase in tolerance if I continue this trend or would people recommend I curve my usage a bit now to prevent a significant spike in tolerance and possibly dependence? Perhaps waiting a whole week in between dosing? I really enjoy the recreational value of Xanax and don't want to ruin it by abusing this drug too often and especially don't want to become an addict.

Anyone have any personal experience they could offer up?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Although you're taking the right dose to avoid tolerance and dependency, taking a 2-3 day break, is cutting it a little close to avoid dependency. To be on the safe side, I would suggest only using once per week. Dependency can creep up on you without warning, you can be OK one day, then all of a sudden be dependant the next! And benzo addiction is a rough ride, benzo withdrawal can be fatal.

- Hopeless Soul

Thanks for the advice!

I'll start cutting my usage back a bit then. I had no idea dependence could build so suddenly.