• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Xanax Tolerance?

kcx1992

Greenlighter
So some background, I have had a problem with Xanax... abuse wise. I've had 2 seizures from withdrawal, one happening in 2014, and one happening a on last months script. I have been trying extremely hard to manage my xanax (yes my doctor didn't take it away after the seizure, I was surprised to) However, I still am going to run short this month. I'm not using my Xanax to get high, as much, its just I beilve my tolerance has just gotten to high. I am perscribed 90 1mg Xanax, and I have been on that same dose since August 2014, prior to that I had been on 80 1mg xanax, 6 months from a physc, and before that we slowly worked up the mg. After my rehab stay in the BHU after my first seziure, My doctor did pull me off benzos (the physc) so i went out and found a family doctor, took the bottle empty that had my name and 80 on it, made up a lie said I had moved, and bam I asked for 90 so I could take 3 day, no problem. I haven't pushed to go to 4 1mg a day, but think maybe just 2mg is the way to go. I don't wanna give up benzos I very much need them. I will NOT do SSRI's I value my sex drive. Do you think after being on the same dose with the same doctor of 90 1mg xanax would be about time for a mg change, bc im sure tolerance has built up long before I decided i'd talk to the doctor. Well I can't ask the doc i asked to up my pain meds and he said he'd give me a refferal to pain management if I wanted them up, I refused (piss testing i smoke weed). I really don't think 120 1mg (4 a day) would cut it even, I'm thinking 2mg 3 times a day would. But thats a LARGE dose. May scare the doctor. (Whom I don't plan on asking, I plan on asking the Nurse Praticiner whom I orginally saw, we are like friends so it's easier to talk to her (plus my doc is forgine hard to understand and if he'd been the one I orginally asked for the Xanax, he would have refused, however I got the nurse my first visit once its on my chart has to be followed. Anyways, another question would be if I stayed at my same does can you legally add a long acting benzo to you meds? Like get xanax and Kpins or Valium together. I feel like the xanax would work and the I need More I need more would go away if I had a long acting in the morning with my first dose of xanax, and a dose of a long acting benzo at bedtime (Which I don't take xanax before bed, I take ambien and serquel). I always wake up in withdrawl from xanax (not awful) but I don't wake up like a normal person would! I just lay in bed till I can get the motivation to get the meds together and head out to the living room. So I guess I asked two questions.
1. Should I ask for my 1mg 90 xanax a month be increased to 2mg 90 a month (Maybe break the evening dose into 2 halfs, so I could take 1 at night as well)
2. Is it possible to be perscribed two benzos at the same time. (eg. 90 1mg xanax &/or 60 2mg Kpins or 10mg Valium?
(A little more background, perscription prices are no problem I get everything free I have two insurances, I usually pay 50 cents for all 4 of my scripts)

I'm so desperate, I know I have a problem but Id rather die than have to face the world without anxiety meds. I have a diagnosis of generalized and social anxiety, I know my tolerance is playing a role in this.

So another question how often should Xanax dosage be changed, considering i've been on nearly the same dose for 2 years.

Current Meds:
#90 1mg Xanax (generic) --- Need something done with this.
#30 Norco 5/325mg(generic) --- This is really just for fun, I have a tooth that looks like im in pain but im not really, my back dose hurt often but i've never mentioned it, bc I get the norco.
#30 Serquel 50mg (generic) --- Plan to have this upped i've been on it before, for sleep at 300mg and I loved it.
#30 Ambien 10mg

Any advice is appreciated.

For the love of god don't ask for more Xanax, you're taking too much as it is (especially combined with the Ambien, which shares the same mechanism of action)

Did you actually take SSRIs at one point that you know they'd kill your sex drive, or did you just hear horror stories about them? Because most males still have plenty of libido on SSRIs, especially if the positive effects on mood and motivation offset the negative effects on your libido. You could also try Wellbutrin, either together with an SSRI or on its own.

My advice: Ask for Lyrica (which works for both anxiety and pain without the abuse potential of a benzo), and instead work on slowing *reducing* your Xanax dose. Oh, and try an antidepressant. I doubt being on 6 mgs of Xanax in addition to the other downers you're already taking would be conducive to your libido either.

Last edited: