• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Xanax to prevent Ambien withdrawals?

Doll483

Greenlighter
I've been taking Ambien for sleep daily for almost a year. Recently, I have been taking large doses on some nights - 40 mg a couple of times, but usually 20-30. Long story short, I am almost out of Ambien and have over two weeks before I can refill my prescription, and I am pretty sure I am dependent on it. Now I haven't taken any benzos in a while, but I have some Xanax saved up - my question is, will taking, say, 0.5 mg of Xanax a night instead of the Ambien prevent me from going into Ambien withdrawal? As in, will the Xanax be able to "replace" the Ambien for those 2+ weeks until I can get my Ambien again and taper off of it slowly and properly? I know they work in a similar way but I am not sure if Xanax can prevent Ambien withdrawals.

It might do something yeah but it'd be best to talk to a doctor. Z-drugs such as Ambien and benzos are quite similar in how they work and all that. I used to take zopiclone once in a while for anxiety issues. Are you sure you just can't cut your doses to the lowest one possible? and try to just make that ambien last. I am not sure about withdrawal from Ambien.

Alprazolam and Zolpidem are both agonists at the same receptor, so yes, Xanax can stave off Ambien withdrawals - probably better so than vice versa, as Zolpidem lacks Alprazolam's anti-seizure activity.

That said, if you're used to taking 30 mg of Ambien a night, you might experience *some* insomnia still with .5 mg of Xanax (.5 mg of Xanax is generally supposed to be equipotent with 20 mg of Ambien - for me personally it might also be 10 mg, as I reacted quite strongly to it).

Alprazolam and Zolpidem are both agonists at the same receptor, so yes, Xanax can stave off Ambien withdrawals - probably better so than vice versa, as Zolpidem lacks Alprazolam's anti-seizure activity.

That said, if you're used to taking 30 mg of Ambien a night, you might experience *some* insomnia still with .5 mg of Xanax (.5 mg of Xanax is generally supposed to be equipotent with 20 mg of Ambien - for me personally it might also be 10 mg, as I reacted quite strongly to it).

This is exactly what I was going to say, however you might just end up with a worse addiction- to alprazolam. You'd probably be better off taking something longer acting like diazepam. Alprazolam's really potent, but it's also got a super short half life making it one of the more addictive benzodiazepines, tolerance builds up real fast.

I took ambien every night for about 2 months and then stopped cold turkey... I didn't really go thru any w/d, but I did have the rebound insomnia for sure. it took a couple weeks to sleep thru the night. good luck

Thanks! It's been working, I took .75 the first night and .5 last night and I slept and feel fine.

This is exactly what I was going to say, however you might just end up with a worse addiction- to alprazolam. You'd probably be better off taking something longer acting like diazepam. Alprazolam's really potent, but it's also got a super short half life making it one of the more addictive benzodiazepines, tolerance builds up real fast.

I know, I used to be addicted to Xanax (about two years ago). I had terrible withdrawals after I quit it cold turkey (not knowing any better at the time), including a seizure. I will be extremely careful this time, I won't take it for longer than a couple of weeks and will stick to a low dose. Thanks!