Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Xanax Potentiation.

TechKnow

Ex-Bluelighter
I was reading a website earlier today, and stumbled upon an article which said that it is possible to potentiate the effects of Xanax through grapefruit juice!?!?!

Now im well aware that such a drink can potentiate the effects of opiates, by inhibiting the CYP3A4 metabolite and by proxy increasing the bioavailability, however i NEVER knew that the same can be said for Benzodiazpines, namely Xanax. Can anyone shed some light on this?

This is the first ive ever heard on the subject and i want to know more.

Cheers.

why do you want to potentiate the effects of this benzo??, from memory and what i have seen of its use its a pretty hard hitting and fast acting !!

if your using it enough that it no longer has any effect i would encourage you to see a Dr about it, that is assuming that it is your prescription ;)

Last edited:
yes grapefruit juice potentates it, and xanax potentates alcohol, but at the same time cigarettes dissipates effects of xanax and increase effects of alcohol.

worked this out the hard way and ended up in hospital..... and then the psychiatric ward.... wasnt a pleasant experience going to hospital but it hasnt stoped me from doing the combination again, just took a bit of trial and error for me to get used to what i wanted from it all.

yeh alot of benzos like xanax and clonazepam are metabolised by CYP3A4 like many opiate metabolites, so to raise or maintain their levels longer in the system this should work

jayslapmc said:
yes grapefruit juice potentates it, and xanax potentates alcohol, but at the same time cigarettes dissipates effects of xanax and increase effects of alcohol.

worked this out the hard way and ended up in hospital..... and then the psychiatric ward.... wasnt a pleasant experience going to hospital but it hasnt stoped me from doing the combination again, just took a bit of trial and error for me to get used to what i wanted from it all.

Thats not quite true (your first paragraph)....cigarettes won't dissipate the effects or alleviate the effects of xanax SUNJECTIVELY; but as it is a cyp3A4 induer, it increase that enzyme and thus speeds up metabolism of the particular substrate.

Xanax has a pretty high bioavailabilty, something like 90% so its not neccesary and very dangerous to attempt to increase and prolong the effects.

Got like half a xanax...no idea what, probably half a .25 :( too scattered and seedy...do you think the grapefruit juice would do enough to justify the trip to the supermarket?

madmick19 said:
why do you want to potentiate the effects of this benzo??, from memory and what i have seen of its use its a pretty hard hitting and fast acting !!

if your using it enough that it no longer has any effect i would encourage you to see a Dr about it, that is assuming that it is your prescription ;)

I never said that i wanted to potentiate it in my first post, as i rarely use Xanax and am quite happy with the effects i get.

I was more enquiring as to whether Grapefruit juice really did potentiate it as i had never heard of this before outside the realm of opiates.

Back when I tried it it didn't make a huge deal of difference, the only one really noticeable to me was that lingering tiredness the next day was around even longer. I don't know whether that's a good thing for you or not, probably not for me.

You're all misusing the word potentiate.

Grapefruit juice will extend the half-life of opioids and some benzos by inhibiting the metabolization of the drug; i.e., you are higher for slightly longer.

Actual potentiation is when you mix diphen with opioids, though in that case you're potentiating the sedation and not the analgesia or euphoria necessarily.