• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Xanax More Addictive Than Valium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael_25

Bluelighter
I've been on diazepam for a good 5 months now. I asked my psychiatrist if I could switch to a quicker-acting benzo, and suggested Xanax. He said that he wouldn't do that because "Xanax is far more addictive than diazepam." This doesn't sound right to me. Isn't one benzo just as addictive as the next one?

EDIT: Thread title should read "Addictive."

well it's a bit subjective; addiction is using a drug despite it having negative consequences in your life. I think valium is more liable to causing a dependence than xanax as it just lingers so long in your system. Many people find xanax more recreational though, making it a better candidate for addiction. No, there's not really much of a difference and in some cases valium could cause a worse addiction.

well it's a bit subjective; addiction is using a drug despite it having negative consequences in your life. I think valium is more liable to causing a dependence than xanax as it just lingers so long in your system. Many people find xanax more recreational though, making it a better candidate for addiction. No, there's not really much of a difference and in some cases valium could cause a worse addiction.
That's what I thought. Valium's half-life is so long that I would have thought it would be the other way around. But perhaps the doctor's worried about the higher abuse-potential of Xanax. However, I have read that some people prefer diazepam over alprazolam... eh, don't know.

The addictive potential of different benzos vary among different people.

The long acting benzos causes worse dependency problems due to a rapidly increasing tolerance. The quick acting benzos cause worse addiction problems due to the rush they provide. For myself, the dependency is a larger concern since I rarely abuse (and my abuse still involves taking LESS than my prescription dose). I feel that I have a very strong will power and don't desire to take larger doses of my benzos (I only take .5mg of Xanax once daily). My experiences are not going to be reflective of everyone, however, and I recognize the danger in fast acting benzos. Just be safe and learn about yourself. Everyone reacts differently.

Think of it as xanax causing major rebound anxiety, so the urge to redose/abuse is very high.

That's much less of an issue with diazepam, but as far as general addiction to any benzo for the desire to do so, its just as addictive as the rest in that regard imho. They're all really addictive to some people, diazepam is just less addictive in terms of getting into a dangerous addiction because every time the alprazolam wears off you feel worse than before taking it, this happens over the course of a few hours. Diazepam that happens over the course of days usually, and is much more manageable. Get a serious tolerance or habit to any benzo and the duration won't matter, since the w/d's will be hell from any of them if abused in a particularly irresponsible way.

It is generally known that high potency benzo's are more addictive. I have no idea why, but there is clear evidence of this. And high-potency benzo's are not even quick acting always (for ex. clonazepam).

Xanax is very addicting. Far more addicting than Valium. Valium's actually pretty weak.

Think of it as xanax causing major rebound anxiety, so the urge to redose/abuse is very high.

That's much less of an issue with diazepam, but as far as general addiction to any benzo for the desire to do so, its just as addictive as the rest in that regard imho. They're all really addictive to some people, diazepam is just less addictive in terms of getting into a dangerous addiction because every time the alprazolam wears off you feel worse than before taking it, this happens over the course of a few hours. Diazepam that happens over the course of days usually, and is much more manageable. Get a serious tolerance or habit to any benzo and the duration won't matter, since the w/d's will be hell from any of them if abused in a particularly irresponsible way.

I couldn't have said it better. I had been prescribed diazepam in pain management. It worked nicely as a muscle relaxant but I didn't use it every day. A different doctor gave me xanax the following year and it affected me differently. I felt compelled to use it even if I didn't need it. Didn't take long to get dependent on it, creating a harsh withdrawal eventually.

I have been using Valium for years as a legitimate PRN for anxiety, and never had any serious addiction problems even with heavy (20-25mg daily) use. Was on that high dose of valium for about 3 months running, and coming off it was just a few days of anxiety and cravings, and that was it. Then was prescribed Xanax - I was on Xanax .5 to 1.5mg daily for 11 days, and had some of the worst withdrawal coming off it I have ever experienced, including a fucking AWEFUL panic attack that i think would've ended in a seizure if i hadn't eaten 15mg of valium. In my opinion Xanax is MASSIVELY addictive, MUCH more so than Valium. This is based on extensive use of both by myself and by another friend who has been on both.

Jesus, what has happened to bluelight over the years? 80% of this thread is nonsense.

xanax and valium are EQUALLY ADDICTIVE. Xanax has worse withdrawals due to its much shorter halflife. So if you where addicted, instead of its plasma level slowly falling off like valium would, it would drop suddenly and leave you in full on withdrawls. Benzodiazapine is withdrawl is VERY unpleasant and also life threatening. (it can lead to status epliticus)

Xanax is very addicting. Far more addicting than Valium. Valium's actually pretty weak.
No.

1mg Xanax = 20mg Valium

I have been on anxiety medication for 8 years. I will only take XANAX during very stressful and uncomfortable situations. Other than that Valium is the best for me.. longer half life... no harsh w/ds...old and reliable.... but yes at times I feel I need XANAX to cope with the more stressful times...

For me it's the other way around valium is by far the more euphoric benzoyl and therefore more addictive

For me it's the other way around valium is by far the more euphoric benzoyl and therefore more addictive
Same here. Xanax is quick in your face and never got real euphoria from it. Actually I never got euphoria from any benzo, just relief.

I switched to Valium and it is more of an enjoyable, relaxed feeling without the tiredness of Xanax.

If I had to choose one of the two benzo for sleep I'd go with the Xanax. But for day time anxiety relief , deffo valium.

Last edited:
I've been on diazepam for a good 5 months now. I asked my psychiatrist if I could switch to a quicker-acting benzo, and suggested Xanax. He said that he wouldn't do that because "Xanax is far more addictive than diazepam." This doesn't sound right to me. Isn't one benzo just as addictive as the next one?

EDIT: Thread title should read "Addictive."
Quick-acting benzodiazepines are a lot trickier: paradoxal effects (panic, agitation, hallucinations) are a lot more common with quick-acting benzo's and withdrawal symptoms are a lot worse. For people addicted to short-acting benzodiazepines, physicians usually recommand switching to a long-lasting one (like Valium 10 mg) first and then progressively decreasing the dose.

Xanax ruined benzos for me. Prior to Xanax I always found Valium quite effective. Once I got a script for Xanax and stayed on those no other benzos worked as well imo. I hated running out of my Xanax and having to use klonopin or Valium to keep from withdrawals. I will also add that Xanax made my anxiety so much worse, and I felt like I was having to actively work to stay out of withdrawal. I would recommend saving Xanax for emergencies and using something else with a longer half life for a daily benzo. Xanax is a beast to get off of.

Status
Not open for further replies.