• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Xanax and time-to-effect

Eagleman

Bluelighter
It seems as though xanax takes forever to kick in...sometimes up to 2 hours will pass before I start to feel sleepy. Anyway to kick it in faster (besides alcohol, I don't drink). Orange juice? Lots of fluid, water? Klonopin doesn't seem to have this effect. Any ideas? Anybody agree or is it just me?

If you can handle the taste, crush it up and dissolve it under your tongue. Taking benzos sublingually kicks ass. Xanax tastes quite nasty to most though.

Anyway, I've never had xanax take 2 hours to kick in though. Maybe 2 hours to peak, but when I take it orally I feel it within 30 minutes.

Last, are you familiar with the various forms of benzo 'potentiation' (and/or synergy)? Grapefruit juice, tagamet, etc... (I don't know shit about them.)

Xanax tastes goood to me :)
I've never had Xanax take 2 hrs. IMO its the fastest to kick in

Yeah it never takes that long to kick in for me either. Break it up and down it with some grapefruit juice and you'll be set.

I would suggest insufflating it...it'll kick in faster but you wont get as much out of it.

Every generic xanax I've had tastes horrid. For me, it kicks in quickly so orally is fine for me.

yeah xanax is the worst tasting benzo i've had though diazepam is a close second. i chew the xanax and the longest i can hold the saliva under my tongue is like 2 mins max. but always seems to start kicking in about 25-30 mins for me.

i think it would also depend on weather you take it on a empty stomach or not.

for max effects empty stomach is way to go or just eat 4-5 hrs before hand.

Last edited:
i always crush it with my teeth before swallowing it it gets in my system faster that way

and drinking long island tea with it helps but ive ended up in some trouble that way

Isn't there warning labels on Xanax scripts to not mix the drug with grapefruit juice?

takes me 30 mins to feel oral xanax on an empty stomache at least...

Yeah, says not to take with grapefruit juice... I asked my pharmacist about that one, he told me that it slowed metabolism of the drug and blah blah, i don't really remember too well... I did go get some grapefruit juice on the other side of the wal-mart though :) in my experience if you can stand the taste (which I have come to enjoy, the taste means the feeling is on it's way) let it sit under your tongue. It absorbs fast there, have a doctor who tells my friend to put his under there because he has problems with fighting and needs a quick relaxer...
I really would never IV a xanax, I don't know how safe it is, and what a terrible habit to have, but have seen it work... Dude slammed 4mg and was pretty trashed. I didn't want any of that needle gig so off I went. But yeah, he lived.

Yeah my brothers both suffer severe anxiety disorder and sometimes they dissolve it sublingually when they're in the grips of a panic attack. I tried that once after I ate a marijuana brownie and freaked the fuck out...it worked, but the taste was absolutely horrific. Clonazepam, on the other hand, tastes like sweet tarts when ingested this way. :)
But I dunno, Xanax just seems to take forever to kick in for me, don't know why...it's the only benzo that does this.

I wouldn't think that crushing the pill would make much of a difference. Most bars are waferesque pills, and dissolve very quicly. If you have ever gotten water on a bar you can see this. I don't take xans very much, but when I do, I feel it within ten to 15 minutes. Your not taking the green triangle shaped ones are you? Those are ER.

my doctor has told me to take it sublingually before, i've chewed it, taken it with the grapefruit juice, and it's all the same. but i have a large tolerance to benzos in general so i don't ever really "feel it". but two hours is a crazy amount of time for that particular benzo to set in..

Misspharmacyashley: two hours is just a guesstimate. But it does take f'ing forever.

Mikemikemike: I usually take blue footballs or generic bars. So no they are not ER.

just chew it. that ur best bet. or dissolve in your mouth. i have no problem they usually hit me in 20 minutes. but i also drink a few brewskies with my xanax..

Wow people. If you wanna get high Im sure you can handle the taste of xanax. Its an aquired taste and if you were ever in the throws of benzo withdrawl Im sure you would appreciate it as well.. Sublingual is the only way to go with benzo's and if you wanna take em for the taste clonazepam taste like candy. Its a better drug anyways. Alprazolam sucks because if you smoke cigarrettes it increases the dose you need by 50% or more. As for the Grapefruit Juice warning this is because GFJ has a chemical in it that is an enzyme inhibitor. The enzyme it inhibits breaks down xanax so if it is being produced less the theory is more alprazolam is built up in the body. HOWEVER, I have never heard anyone speak on the fact that vitamin C really helps eliminate basically every drug from your system where it is loaded in GFJ. The best way to potentiate alprazolam is with opiates ;P jp the legit way is Tagamet HB aka generic: Cimetidine. It is an inhibitor of CYP3A4. This enzyme inhibitor works on MOST opiates, dxm, a large amount of benzos and other drugs. Get the generic cimetidine because Tagamet HB is way overly expensive.
As far as taking benzos sublingually, alprazolam will kick in in 10 minutes or less if you hold it under your tongue and dont swallow. It actually absorbs for me faster than my favorites clonazepam. Well I hope this helps, Im having chest pains from going through a bottle of 60 30mg amphetamine salts ir (adderall 30mgir generic) over 3 days. I have a bunch of .5 clonazepams, 1mg clonazepams, and several 1mg purpac blue xanax circles. Hopefully these on top of the methadone coursing through my veins should help. The only evil thing going on is I still have a 30 of pharmaceutical amphetamine left and Im already feeling major toxic effects. If any of you have ever dabbled in d,l,amph youll understand how hard it is not to eat one if you still have it. They mix real well however with benzos..

Later peepz,
sp0r

^Thank you "speedy" gonzalez. Anyway I'm not trying to get high off them I don't find the benzo experience to be enjoyable recreationally. I use them as sleep aids and for coming down from stims.

It seems as though xanax takes forever to kick in...sometimes up to 2 hours will pass before I start to feel sleepy. Anyway to kick it in faster (besides alcohol, I don't drink). Orange juice? Lots of fluid, water? Klonopin doesn't seem to have this effect. Any ideas? Anybody agree or is it just me?

Ive read alot of places the grapfruit therory is BS. I find that taking them sublingually then smoking two ciggs after kicks the bars in quicker than any other method ive tried.

^Thank you "speedy" gonzalez. Anyway I'm not trying to get high off them I don't find the benzo experience to be enjoyable recreationally. I use them as sleep aids and for coming down from stims.
dude if you want the best comedown of stims try 60 mg of restoril and 100mg of serequel that shit will knock you out with the tv on and food plate on your stomach lol i do it everytime