• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc WTF Oxymetazoline

deos68

Bluelighter
for the past 8 yrs i have been using afrin at one point i got super sick and used afrin nose spray i then got hooked on it weird right? but the rebound congestion was fucked up so i kept taking it they should take the shit off the market
since the beginning of this yr i quit taking it
but recently i have been dealing with sinus issues and started using it again
it honestly feels like a stimulant of sorts which never happen before that or i never noticed
i get crazy anxiety from it and i feel hyped up a bit nothing to dramatic but i can def notice it
told the doc about it and she said it can stimulate the cns or act as a stimu in general wtf that means

this happen to anyone else? i shot a spray up my nose last and felt spaced out with a bit of anxiety crossing over into today, all day today the same
i shouldve talked to the doc before i took it again today now feel the same but its the only thing to relieve sinus pressure in my face and head

This happened to me about one year ago. I got hooked and then the stuffed just stopped working. All together stopped. And the rebound inflammation was so bad I could hardly breathe. It was scary. I couldn't talk or eat. I'd wake up in the middle of the night totally blocked. Not just my sinuses but my throat too.
I switched to phenylephrine and it worked right away. I've never developed the kind of wicked rebound congestion I had with afrin (or the active ingredient within).
Switch to phenylephrine until you can get a long term solution worked out.

People mislabel oxymetazoline (Afrin, others) as being an addictive substance. This has led to the fucking retarded notion that it must also be a recreational drug. It is not "addictive" it is a decongestant and it works like a charm. It works so well, that people keep using it daily instead of addressing the route cause of their perennial congestion. Like most substances, you are just making a substitution for one of your body's normal functions. This leads to an even worse issue. I know one guy (have heard second hand about dozens of others) who had used oxymetazoline habitually and his issue was so bad when he stopped it required corrective surgery, which, in all reality, he probably needed to begin with.

Case in point, Afrin is a very effective medicine, but you can't rely on it, because like most drugs, the habit will come back to get you. I had a severely deviated septim and battle with severe congestion for years. My Harvard educated otolaryngologist said that he would not recommend using it ever, but understands that sometimes it gets unbearable dealing with the congestion and so it can be used... occasionally. For instance, I go on a date, or get up in front of a class full of kids for the first time, I don't want to sound like Lois Griffin or Squidward, so I'll use it then. But, the true answer for me was fluticasone (Flonase, now available OTC). The only issue is that it requires daily use and does not work instantly like Afrin. Everyone is different though, but I would definitely recommend putting down the Afrin and trying a course of fluticasone.

My advice is to never use that shit, my mom said back when she was pregnant with me that was like the only medication they allowed her to use for nasal issues. And the first time she used it, it was a miracle but the rebound was insane and she didn't realize that this was going to keep happening until she brought it up to my Dad (who is a doctor lol) and he said just stop using it and the rebound congestion will go away. And it did, and so did the problems she was having in the first place. The problem with Afrin is you use it for a while, and think you are still sick, but you have already gotten better, yet you continue to use because you think you are still messed up. Lol they should really take it off the market.

oh well shit went in the trash got me super jittery and it kicked my anxiety levels through the roof f that
had to take a xanax last night just to be able to sleep

Ahhh, a fellow Afrin addict! {Waves}

I've been using it daily for about 3 years now. There's a minor stimulant effect, but it's not pleasant...more like a heart-pounding anxiety fest. I limit my use to one squirt in each nostril per day because I read that it can have fenfluramine-like effects on the heart. (i.e. - it's a 5ht2b agonist that can cause valvular heart disease in some people).

Ahhh, a fellow Afrin addict! {Waves}

I've been using it daily for about 3 years now. There's a minor stimulant effect, but it's not pleasant...more like a heart-pounding anxiety fest. I limit my use to one squirt in each nostril per day because I read that it can have fenfluramine-like effects on the heart. (i.e. - it's a 5ht2b agonist that can cause valvular heart disease in some people).

i was on it for 8 yrs give or take it honestly never became an issue or it never seemed weird
until one day i went to the ER on some unrelated stuff and the doc saw me use it
she asked me how long i had been using it and i said a few yrs the look she gave me ill never forget she told me to cut that shit out so i did this was in jan
come 8 months later i never touched it until a few days ago and did it sure fuk with my anxiety levels and yes i def felt the heart pounding effect
ended up using a neti pot for my sinus issues beats shooting that stuff up your nose
you never had any issues with using afrin?

How my doctor told me to get off Afrin without SEVERE rebound congestion: Use your Afrin till the bottle is half empty. Open it up and fill it up untill full with Purified water. Continue to use it till it is down to half full again and fill it again with water. Repeat five additional times.

This is simply reducing the concentration of active ingredient each time and IMHO is much better than just going cold turkey if you a long term habit with this stuff.

Try Flonase instead once your off the Afrin. As said above it takes a few days to take full effect but is better long term.

How my doctor told me to get off Afrin without SEVERE rebound congestion: Use your Afrin till the bottle is half empty. Open it up and fill it up untill full with Purified water. Continue to use it till it is down to half full again and fill it again with water. Repeat five additional times.

This is simply reducing the concentration of active ingredient each time and IMHO is much better than just going cold turkey if you a long term habit with this stuff.

Try Flonase instead once your off the Afrin. As said above it takes a few days to take full effect but is better long term.

i took it for years but as of a couple of days ago i havent used it for a good 8 months i dont plan of using it anymore i just used it twice within 2 days i already threw it away