• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids WTF? Oxycontin generic is real?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColoradoBoy90

Bluelighter
WTF? Oxy generic is real? And says OP on them?

So now GENERIC OxyContin exists, called "Oxycodone ER", and it is identical to brand name in appearance. Generics now have OP imprinted on them, and same color, same size, same everything. You can't tell the difference unless you have the medication bottle label in front of you to say "made by...."
Otherwise a 40mg OP tablet is the EXACT same as a 40mg generic tablet that will say 40mg OP on the generic too, they are impossible to tell the difference on..

The pills say "OP" on one side and then "40mg" on other. It is made by Activas according to the bottle and reads:

"oxycodone ER, GENERIC for Oxycotin" Activas PHARMA.

So wtf? I've talked to pharmacists and they say generic doesnt exist, a couple months ago. But then today I'm told yes they exist for a fact, and I had them prescribed and they already seem "off" and weaker -- and this was BEFORE I knew they where a generic as I just saw the OP and the mg on them and thought they where fine. Then I happened to look at the bottle and saw it said generic! Not a good sign. Is oxycodone ER a "different med" to the FDA ?

I also read online the FDA has not approved any generic forms of oxycotin, and I read a news article from 2013 saying FDA rejected generic Oxycontin. So wtf? There is hardly and information out there, and most of if is old and conflicting.
One Google search that actually helps reads "Who has taken the new 2015 Brand Oxycontin do they work?" It Has quite a few replies to it, and most are all negative towards the generic...

Did this change in 2016?? Let me guess know its even crappier than before. First OC to OP, now its generic and the generic cost nearly the same as Brand? I cannot sven imagine how low quality they must be.

If generics continue to look the exact same as brand name they will get mixed up with brand name, even if on accident, as there are thousands of pharmacies, along with thousands of employees who handle them, along with their thousands of employee
suppliers who handle them/etc/etc..

How/when/why did this happen?

Last edited:
Hey Colorado,

I'm pretty sure this type of thread would fall under the umbrella of "pill identification" and it's not really something that we deal with in this particular forum, it's more geared toward harm reduction. I would say your best bet is to talk to a pharmacist, but it appears that you have already done this and come up with an ambiguous answer.

Perhaps you could contact Teva directly to get a more definitive answer. I'm sure they have some sort of customer support line that you could use.

Also, I don't know what you mean when you refer to a given medicine's quality. In the United States there can be a slight variance in composition from brand to brand, but it's not like say, Iraq (where I live) where the quality or content of medicine can be very dubious.

yes generic oxycodone time release pills exist, they are the same formulation as the old oxycodone

The impax generics are the old formula.

You also can always request the brand when you pick them up.

The pill shouldn't be different from the brand name ones and should provide the right

It's not impax generic. It says "GENERIC
FOR OXYCOTIN" on the bottle and made by Activa on the bottle, NOT Purdue like the true brand name is.

It clearly says its not made by them on the bottle. It's a new thing, not a old thing, and the bottle says made by Activas on them, a huge generic company. How did they manage to copy the brand name OP print, color, and all that?

I know you can request brand, but my question and point is this generic is an EXACT replica of brand name and not a single person on the planet could tell the difference by looking at them, so that kinda shows that it's very possible the two might get mixed together, especially with everyone so confused over it. If GENERIC OP TABLETS MADE BY ACTIVAS was accidentally put inside a Purdue phrama bottle no one would realize the mistake because again brand and generic are pure identical's on the outside only, while on the inside are they different -- and by the time you realiaze it's too late and you're stuck with them. And you better hope you aren't sensitive to the generics or fillers.

If you're so worried go back to the pharmacy and ask the pharmacist. Tell them your concerns.

Gotcha. Thanks.

But I must say after days of taking it the generics are NOT EQUAL. Unless someone I grew a massive tolerance in a few days after years of taking the same dosage?? Almost impossible...

Right now I took the ER "generic oxy OP" like normal, followed by an IR tablet. Today is the 3rd day in a row (I lost count, somewhere around that) where I'm STILL IN W/D. Right now I have a runny nose, and I'm COLD/etc. Normally the cold/chills and runny nose is gone after 1 ER tablet + 1 IR tablet. But they have not. What has changed???

#1: My IR went from the old Watson Yellows (some mom and pop pharmacy still had the very old Watson pills they refused to throw away) but they ran out and couldn't order anymore per the laws years ago, so once they ran out they had to go with the white Watsons. I went to a "white Watson". I swear there is something massively wrong with these white Watson tablets vs the Yellow Watsons. A Google search confirms this is a widespread issue.

#2: My ER went from brand to generic. I have been taking Brand name Oxy for 4+ years. The pharmacy just filled it as a generic out of the blue (they said as of 2016 the OP's are generics and brand name are the "same thing. Wtf does that mean? The pharmacy seemed to treat them the same, due to indentical imprints and very well might mix them up because they treat them the same. I questioned him saying how come the imprint is the same, how do I ever know if I'm getting brand name or generic now besides your tiny label?). He went silent.
But my main problem is: they feel much weaker, and take 1 FULL HOUR before it even has any effects (normally it kicks in within 30 mins as 1/3rd of the ER is released right away and the remaining is slowly released over the next 10-12 hours.) yet even 1 hour later I'm still in minor W/D with a runny nose and chills. Can someone explain that? The only answer is these generics are subpar that's why I'm still in W/D
I have to take TWO of the ER generic oxy tablets to get out of W/D, yet the other day I tested and took only 1 brand name and was out of W/D. Coincidence? I think not. I think this generic is subpar and it's fillers are messing with the absorption.

I'm f-ing sitting next to a space heater with chills!!! Anyone want to tell me that's placebo and generics and brand are 100% identical to the T, and 20% difference in fillers don't make a difference? Nope. There are are Scientific studies done that prove there is not only a difference in fillers up ALSO the active ingredient. It's been in major news outlets when lawsuits where ongoing. It's common knowledge (at least you'd think) but it seems the pharmaceutical companies have tricked the masses into them believing two products can be identical even when they admit there can be up to a + or 20% in fillers, and they are making cheap as hell generics "to be nice, and for your own good! So you don't go broke!" (yeah, like they care lol).

Sorry just really pissed I got scammed here by a pharmacy and the companies pulling a fast one making indentical imprints for brand and generics. And I know what's happening right now and I can feel it.

Last edited:
Maybe with the new generics, they're assuming most of the folks that ask/get those are going to abuse them. Therefore, they work well snorted or whatever but suck ass when taken orally. I say this partially in jest and tongue in cheek. For the record, I didn't think it was legal for a drug company to duplicate how the generic looks (imprints etc.) compared to the brand. For the life of me, I don't think I've ever seen this in all my drug taking days!

If you truly believe the generics are inferior, you need to take it up with your pharmacist (maybe doc depending on how he/she writes your scripts). Tell them that you are seriously convinced the generics do not work as well as the brand name and you'd appreciate them writing/filling you future scripts with the brand name only. Pretty please!

In QLD Australia (I used to just say Australia, but it appears only certain pharmacies' get them in?)....but for two years I was using a generic 80mg IR (once crushed to a powder) Oxycodone formulation made by Sandoz....and it was the supreme product versus the plastic shit that Oxycontin Mundipharma pill shit....mind you 20mgs of that pill smashed you with little to no tolerance to opiates.

But once you're up to 200-300mgs and beyond you want that original formula cos waiting too long for the cure sucks in anyone who's had the sick. I'm on 20mg of suboxone now, lifes a little more stable but I'm still swimming in regret and enough pain to make me wish I hadn't escalated my use of oxy as much as I did.

How does 20 mg subox do anything more for any type
of pain that 2 - 6 mg wouldnt ?

Last edited:
Fuck knows mate, just mucking around with the dose and my pain with my Dr who doesn't mind what I take, though he agrees that if I don't get an increase in pain relief then we'll drop back down - no point in being at 20-40mgs of bupe if I get the same result at 4-6mg....it costs me no more or less dollars but I'd rather drop from a low height than from the top of a skyscraper.

Oh, okay...good
I cant see anybody not getting sick of that big of dose right away
it doesnt even whack most people about @ that dose
just all the side effects are so undeniable.

Last edited:
That's interesting - I don't appear to be aware of any side effects. I get no opiate buzz or anything of course but I have no highs and lows in my mood. It's as if I'm on nothing at all, I only know I am because I'm not opi sick. But yes I don't feel different on 20mgs as I did 12mgs so far. I wonder if just straight bupe (subutex) would give me better pain relief?

Just cant imagine a full agonist could ever be replaced by a partial ag with regards to pain once you've been on high dose full ag for any appreciative amount of time.

That's the thing beach, this is the first time I've ever heard of it either!! And the generics have the same abuse resistance patent as generics which is crazy how they are allowed to copy brand name 100% to the T.

I can provide a link to Tevas website where the show generic Oxycotin and they say "OP"
on one side and 10 on the other and are white, exact same as brand. Size, shape, color, imprint, all the same. (If links are allowed). Then for the 20mg it changes color, to the same color as the brand (pink I believe?). Everything is the same! So they are copying the IMPRINT and color coding chart of the brand names (color code by dosage they copied)..

Not even a pharmacist can tell the difference between an OP 40mg made by Teva or a 40mg made by Purdue. Why? Because they are 100% the same to every detail. The pharmacist would only know which is which when he opens the batch and sees the label on the bottle that reads either "made by On THE BOTTLE" "Teva" or "Purdue" or "Activas". Purdue being the brand. But what if you don't have the bottle? Or they get mixed together? Then you just mixed up brand and generic pills and its impossible to fix without tab testing every single pill!!! Without a pill bottle and a label, no one in the world can distguish between brand and generic OP's. Is is perhaps a FIRST IN HISTORY for medication where generic has been allowed to copy brand 100% the same imprints and all. It's crazy. And imagine the mess if the bottles get mixed up or a bottle of brand name falls on the table and a bottle of generic falls on the table. Whoops! The pharmacist won't be able to tell the difference for which goes into which bottle without calling for a lab test and the pharmacist wouldn't risk his/her job doing that...

So you can see how crazy it is, and how easily they can get mixed up even at the pharmacy by accident. Tevas website literally shows off how they are INDENTICAL to brand name Purdue now. It's insane and should be false advertising and scam terrority! Even if Purdue allowed them it's a scam to customers not being able to tell the difference anymore.

And the WD, it's definitely not as strong as brand. But these generics are NOT BREAKABLE. They also have the same abuse resistant patent as the OxyContin brand name does on the abuse features.... So how the hell does brand name even exists anymore if generics also have the same abuse resistance features, have the same imprints and look exactly the same?

^Exactly, in Australia you're looking for the name Sandoz - to my knowledge they are the only generic oxycodone pill on our market.

How does 20 mg subox do anything more for any type
of pain that 2 - 6 mg wouldnt ?

If you don't wait an appropriate amount of time to take suboxone, meaning waiting long enough so that buprenorphine doesn't have to tear a shred of your DOC off the opiate receptors in your brain. Then you have to take a ton.

If you wait until your pupils are dialed to the size of the moon, you're peeing out of your butt every 5 minutes, your skin looks weird and you feel like standing under a hot shower for the whole day then taking 2mg of sub will completely take away your withdrawals and give you a nice light yet pleasant buzz.

I'm convinced that 95% of the people do not take suboxone properly. You can get away with taking it too early for a while too but eventually, for some reason, you begin having the need to wait until you're in severe withdrawal to take it and have the proper, fully WD relieving experience. Otherwise, it takes about 3 days to start feeling normal and you never get that light buzz you would if you waited.

So I did just multiple tests. ALL confirm generic OxyContin is not as good (at last to my body).

First I tried it myself. Taking the generics I was still in minor W/D always.... So one day I decided to take Brand name. W/D
gone.

So I wanted to rule out placebo (even though W/D of runny nose, chills and coughing is hard to be placebo) and had someone mix them up for me. Since generic is 100% THE EXACT SAME PILL (both are pink-ish or whatever) and one the generic reads "OP" on one side and "20" on the other. While the brand name reads "OP" on one side and "20" on the other. They are the same size, color, hardness, and same imprints. The only way to know what they are getting is when the pharmacy bottle reads "made by" (and you better hope they don't get mixed up!).

So one day I took OP, not knowing what it was. Had W/D.

Day 1 took OP, had W/D

Day 2 took OP, NO withdrawals.

Day 3 took OP, had W/D

Day 4-5 took OP's and had W/D

Day 6 took OP and had NO W/D

Turns out on days 2, and day 6 where from the BRAND NAME BOTTLE. All other days I had W/D where taking from the GENERIC BOTTLE.. So it's not placebo....

Ugh. First they ruined it going from OC to OP, and now it's ruined by being generic!! Because insurance will not pay for brand now that generic is out. Even with insurance brand is often hundreds... Pure scam here, and they should be sued for trickint people by putting indentical imprints copying the brand name imprints on ALL GENERIC OXYS!

Status
Not open for further replies.