• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Education Would you trust your druggy brain with clandestine chemistry knowledge?

Snafu in the Void

Moderator: NMI Bukowski Jr.
Staff member
I often daydream about what I would study when I go back to college and the answer is generally always Chemistry.

I simply find chemistry utterly fascinating, a visceral way to understand and manipulate our universe.... I almost see chemistry as playing God... but obviously also think it would be cool to be able to make drugs (not that I would, mind you ;))

It's genuinely what I want to learn, yet I am scared what kind of power I might wield with such esoteric knowledge....

If you knew how to make PCP... and could get away with it.... would you trust yourself with the ability to do that?

The thought scares me, because I know myself and do NOT necessarily trust myself.

What would you do? (assuming you never went to college and are about to go)

I dated a chick who was studying to be a pharmacologist. She came home from school one day and told me they did amphetamine in school (fuck yes, Norway!), and before that moment I thought like you - but I realized I would tear myself asunder.

So, no. I trust myself to grow weed. That's it.

It's always better to go mad with power than without it.

Nope.
Also more importantly, I'm shit at lab stuff, and processing raw opium into heroin takes some volatile chemicals.

I wouldn't trust myself to NOT blow myself up / poison myself with fumes. XD

But if you were properly trained, you wouldn't have to worry about that anymore.

I'm not sure, actually I would trust myself I think. I'd love to be able to synth psychedelics and explore areas that I am interested in that are not available to the general public.

The “being able to make it” and “getting away with it” parts are what usually get people in trouble. Many have one or the other, but difficult to master both.

I always like the story of the chemist who synthesized a bunch of opiate analog (fentanyl analog) and wanted to sell it but didn’t know anyone so asked the black janitor at his work to move it for him. Who then promptly turned his ass in, probably beyond offended he assumed he could do it lol.

Hypothetically speaking though, by the time you can synthesize whatever you have enough self determination to use those drugs responsibly. Well most chemists do at least lol.

-GC

I met someone who was going for chemical engineering and cooked himself into rehab and chose not to go back to it. It’s personal to whether you feel you can have that sort of responsibility I guess.

I studied inorganic chemistry and did well.

I also know how to make MDMA, LSD, and mescaline in theory. I haven't been in one, a lab, since 2009.

What do you want to know about chemistry @Snafu of the Forest ? I'm a good resource.

khanacademy.org Free college chemistry

I specialized in electronic spectroscopy and Nuclear Magnetic Resonance of Ruthenium coordination complexes.

I'd like to say I would trust myself as I have a better grip on life than I used to. But if I had any idea how to manufacture substances it would just be too tempting to sample the goodies.