• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Would you help?

I'd like to think I would do something, but I really can't be sure. I definitely know if I was with friends I would do something, but on my own it's a case of thinking (and hoping) that I would have the courage to do something.

Just saw a story on the news about a couple on the Gold Coast who were crossing the freeway (happens a lot down there apparently, people are always being run down crossing busy roads) - they both got hit by a car driven by a 19 year old boy (not his fault), were lying bleeding on the road and people were driving around them and kept going.

I can understand not rushing in to help in a situation where you might be in danger; the first rule in first aid is to ensure your own safety - but - what is going through a person's head when they drive past someone who's been hit by a car? How do they justify it? This is unacceptable and really sad.

Some people did end up stopping and helping and one of them was a young girl who held their hands until the ambulance came. The man died on impact and his wife is in hospital.

:(

As each year passes, I seem to get very bitter as this world is so selfish! Prime example is the story abouve me, how could people be so horrible to leave a very injured human being on a highway to suffer, that is bloody terriable, I hope to think if something bad happend to me some-one would help, as I know I would help other's if they were in need.

I wouldnt phycially get involved, but I guess I would in some way help.

I wouldnt take public transport on my own at night, so I wasnt in that zone of maybe getting ruffed up and mugged.

P.s sorry to hear that about your friend, thats bloody horrible that the bouncers didn't do anything.. Anyone hear about that guy that his parent's are now taking a ferntreegully bouncer's to court on, when he was attacked just meters from the night club bumped his head and a bloodclot burst in his brain and he died... I find that nothing like this happends in the country towns...

I'd most certainly help. Especially if the person was being beaten on innocently. I would think it's only a natural human reaction to help?

Maybe I'm wrong....

shal :D

muzby said:
but basically, its all about the confidence, even if u r scared shitless, act like u have no fear...

That's so true....I can't fight for shit, but everytime I've gotten into a situation which could lead to a fight I've always gotten out of it just by showing enough confidence that people think twice about taking me on. I took on a gang of 15-20 guys once who were beating up my friend, which was probably not the wisest move because they would have beat the crap out of me if they'd tried, but because they thought I was some kind of psycho they scattered...

In the described situation...man, I would at least have run to the cop shop, especially if you're talking about where I think you are and it's as close as I'm thinking...I can't believe nobody called the cops at the very least, that sucks. People suck. :p

I hope your friend's okay... :(

On a similar note, yesterday at uni a guy was being chased by a police officer - apparently he had been involved in a chase in a stolen car, not too sure about the details. The guy ran straight past me twice and the cop yelled pretty unintelligably at me to do something. I wasn't sure if the cop was a cop or a security guard and wasn't really too up for getting stabbed or hurt or anything so I let the guy run straight past me. They caught him in the end, but the question begs, what would you do?

I was thinking of tackling the guy but I was too indecisive and it all went by fairly quickly... :\

CB.

I learned this at a school semainar on violence.

First of all, never turn a blind eye to violence. If you are not in a position to invervene physically, then use your brain and intervene socially. Yell out loud or use your mobile to call for help, but make sure both the attacker(s) and the victim know that you are going to alert the authorities (police, bystanders).

If you decide to intervene physically in a violent attack don't attack the person or persons inflicting the violence. If you do become antagonistic with the aggressors there is a good chance that (s)he or they will decide to instead lay a beating on you.

Instead, get down on the ground with the victim and wrap yourself around them, protecting the victim with your own body from the punches and kicks of the perpetrators. When you get on the ground and protect the victim defensively like this the aggressors usually will give up as opposed to getting physical with you as well.

I used the technique once in the past. I was walking home after a night at the university pub and there were three guys in the parking lot delivering a beating to this one poor guy on the ground. I yelled aloud and sprinted over, draping myself over the victim. After the told me to get lost and kicked me in the back once or twice they got frustrated and left. After all, it wasn't me they were mad at.

I had a few bruises but it was nothing compairson to the beating this poor guy was taking.

Last edited:
^^^ that's pretty damn admirable. putting yourself in line for the beating (whether it is normal for it not actually happen or not) would be a little intense... :)

I think that often in a violent situation involving strangers, onlookers are often frightened and unsure of what to do. When I see any type of confrontation, I usually freeze momentarily, because I'm a big sissy and don't take pressure situations very well.