• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

would you ever compromise your own personal morality?

onetwothreefour

Bluelight Crew
this struck me as a fairly interesting concept, and as an off-shoot (in that i thought of it reading that thread), i think it should gather some interesting debate.

what do we all think about someone's personal morality becoming corrupted or compromised by other factors: money, prioritising, even comfort...?

for me, i would think it's a fairly horrible way to live. of course, if we're talking morality on a relatively "small" scale (like, say, if you didn't believe in pre-marital sex but would go against it for a million bucks...but then i guess that makes it another issue altogether ;)), it's not so bad, but if it's the basic moral code that you live by each and every day of your life, i don't think it's too healthy.

but clearly some people are comfortable doing so - police corruption is all around us, everyone knows that a whole plethora of people can be absolutely bought and sold in any manner of ways (politicians, surprisingly, immediately spring to mind :p), so i guess for most people it's all a matter of degrees.

i'm not one of 'em, personally.

so, what do you think? what would it take to compromise your morality, if you ever would? are small things okay? if they are, where do you start to draw the line...?

hahaha
I just wrote an essay on morality tonight.
i will post tommorrow

^^^ for uni? i'm doing "contemporary moral philosophy" at uni this year, and it's fucking awesome. you should post your essay in words :)

(or just let me read it ;)).

Yah. BREAKa and I are both doing Philosophy, Morality and Society. The essay she is referring to was a mother-bitch of a thing to write and despite the hours spent pondering morality I've suddenly realised that I've never considered what my personal morals are.

A guy I know said to me the other week that he didn't think I had any morals. I think I do... they're just kinda... lenient. ;)

I would never cause harm to anyone else regardless of the personal gain... and I think that is the only moral I really need.

Good topic..

Have done so, albeit on a small scale....I live my life very openly...may not reveal everything to everybody, but certainly don't hide anything.

I have decided though that I have no reason to tell my nan I'm gay. I haven't seen her for years (we communicate by mail), and it would completely shatter her image of who I am. In this case I'm willing to compromise my personal morality to keep her happy, because honestly it doesn't hurt. Or is that more an ethical thing?

I dunno, I always get ethics and morality confused, but there y'go anyway....

--Raz--

As far as pesonal morals go i think i'm fairly rigid in character. It just seems like i have spent a lifetime trying to adhere to what i think is right, and to throw it all away for some some small or fleeting gain would have real and profound effect on how i look at myself, and how i think others might percieve me.
Some of my friends think i'm nuts when i return lost goods or tell the cashier they have given me too much change, but it's all those little things that a make a difference...well to me anyway.:)

The question should be ...

At what price can you be bought? everyone has a price some money, sex, power if you can have anything you wanted anyone can be made to do something immoral . However on the flip side somethings just cant be bought say...you could have all of Bill Gates fortune tommorrrow if you kill your family would you do it ? so to reiterate everything can be bought as long as it doesnt hurt the ones you love cos love is stronger than everything!!

great thread..

i've led a varied and strange life...

i've travelled, studied, partied, shagged, worked and loved...

hell, i always score like 97% on those impurity tests...

but my morality comes down to a couple of fundamental beliefs of mine...

firstly, is respect those who respect you...

and second, put yourself in the other persons shoes...

what this means is that, i would not compromise my own morality for anything... i have a very strong concience, and it doesnt let me forget anything....

i will stand up for my friends, at all costs.....

i will protect the interests of someone i care about, no matter what the conciquences...

shit.. hope that all makes sense...

damn being scattered... :\

Originally posted by Charlie Brown
The question should be ...

At what price can you be bought? everyone has a price some money, sex, power if you can have anything you wanted anyone can be made to do something immoral .

no, that shouldn't be the question.

my entire point is that i don't have a price that "some money, sex, power" can compromise my morality. i just don't do it; muzby and others seem to follow the same point of view, too.

i might not have the same kind of morality as everyone else, but those that i hold are damn hard to break, so please don't be so presumptuous as to think everyone can be bought :)

^^ Everyone can be bought, maybe not in realistic senses cos off course some things just cost too much and cant be attained, but for arguments sakes everyone has something that they really wanted say you wish you were taller, smarter, powerful lived in a huge condo drove a ferrarri had a really beautiful loving soulmate, if you can have this all then are you saying you will not comprimise your morality for that?
Then again it is all a cost versus benefit ratio when it comes down to it because if you had to sell your soul to the devil to get all this then you wouldnt cos you would have to pay dearly for it later. So actually this has many sides to the arguement and one cannot just say I wont do this to comprimise my morality cos something moralities has got nothing to do with it and sometimes it does.

We compromise our morality EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Using Muzby's example: Put yourself in other peoples shoes.

OK. I'm walking down the street and see a homeless person. If I were the homeless person and desperate for food, shelter and a clean up, I would want someone to invite me into their home, feed me, give me a shower and a bed for a few nights, etc...

I have never done this.

My point is, that I have morals and beliefs, but how often do I actually put them to use?

Charlie Brown said:
^^ Everyone can be bought, maybe not in realistic senses cos off course some things just cost too much and cant be attained, but for arguments sakes everyone .....

I have to agree. Morality by definition is subjective. There are an infinate amount of possiblities of the different cultures and different individuals with different levels of morality.

Your sense of morality is based on a number of different things. You're awareness of certain issues, you're awareness of consequences of actions or inactions that you make each day, each second.

To answer you're question 1234 , my sense of morality is based around feelings and fairness. Although (as up_all_night says...) its fairly generic, if my actions or inactions will bring someone extreme physical harm, I wont do it. If my actions or inactions will do something that would be emotionally disturbing to a person that i respect, I wouldnt do it.

In regards to:

Finance - I am always honest with money, and would give money back to someone who dropped their wallet if i saw it.

Romance - I would cheat on my g/f with someone if the chances of getting caught would be little or none, but I would never hit my wife.

Friends - I would never intentionally do something that would leave a mate standing all by themselves. Whether it be standing up for them in an argument or say something that cuts their feelings. I always take the higher ground so to speak.

Family - this is a wierd one for me, my family morals are a bit disfunctional. I have more respect and love for my freinds than family.

I cant think of any other areas that I should mention.

Originally posted by Charlie Brown
Everyone can be bought

that's just utter bullshit.

there are a whole bunch of things, in terms of my morality, in which i cannot be "bought". and that's in terms of any money, success, material assett etc. that you could throw at me. don't be so arrogant as to transpose your morality upon myself or anyone else.

say you wish you were taller, smarter, powerful lived in a huge condo drove a ferrarri had a really beautiful loving soulmate, if you can have this all then are you saying you will not comprimise your morality for that?

no, actually, i think we're just on a totally different wavelength here. to be totally honest, i don't want to live in a world where this is how people live their lives. say, if someone offered me unlimited success, or "a huge condo" or a soulmate (!), in return for some compromise of my morality; well, i probably wouldn't take it. like i said earlier, if the compromise is only really small, then of course. but i can guarentee you that there are a whole range of things which i just wouldn't even consider, so don't assume that everyone thinks just the same as you, please.

and btw;
23.gif

apologies if i'm a little bit heated ;)

Last edited:
Morals? I have no morals ;)

But seriously, I can’t really state at which point I’d compromise my own personal standards for something else, I guess until I get there I’ll never know.

I agree with 1234 on all of the above...I would compromise my morality for the happiness and well-being of the people I love in certain circumstances, but I certainly wouldn't do it to be taller or better-looking or for any kind of material benefit.

Some things are just more important than looking pretty, y'know..?

My answer heavily depends on the situation at hand and its implications - this would govern my decision process. I wouldn't compromise them if I knew that someone would come into harm (both physically or emmotionally)as a result.

I grew up in a very religious household and while not religious myself, I am a very spiritual person with alot of morals that I adhere to, being a firm believer in karma. Like any person, I compromise morals but they are usually smaller things that have no impact on others but more a direct relation to my spiritual self :)

Like good sportsmen's would say.... we're going to take it moral by moral ;)

Good topic 1234 :)