• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Would you agree with this statement about addiction?

Bomb319

Bluelighter
The substance you become addicted to essentially changes your brain over time to the point that you crave it and will do whatever you can to get it in a manner that resembles your built-in instinct to seek water when dying of thirst in the desert, or food while in a period of starvation. You still care about incidental issues that hurt others while undergoing your drug-seeking behavior, but these moral misgivings still take a backseat to your compulsive need for a fix, and are mostly strong only after the fact upon reflection. Rather than seeking a pleasurable high, you're mostly running away from a physically and psychologically intolerable future.

To a degree. I actually remember one time sitting in my tent with my ex and I was feeling terrible. I said to my ex that I couldn't tell why I was so uncomfortable, was it the meth, the benzo withdrawal, was the heroin not good? Then I realized I hadn't drank anything in about a day in a half. For me, it completely puts me out of touch with my body's essential needs, when I go at it hard. For the last two years of my addiction, living on the street, it was essential to remain high/intoxicated as long as possible, because the reality was too crushing to bare. That being said, it was kind of a catch 22 because if I wasn't getting high, I definitely would have done something to pull myself out of that situation.

I also think that a big part of this is a societal issue too-drug use and users are stigmatized. If drugs were legal, I don't believe that a person would be 'hurting' others by getting high. It's a matter of perspective really, if you look at it through a criminalizing moralizing lens, then yes you're hurting those close to you by using. Another perspective would be, if the drugs were legal, you would not be hurting others (most likely, and I'm talking about heroin, so this can change depending on the drug as something like meth makes some people aggressive, same with crack).

I know opiates changed my brain permanently and they are now an essential need of mine. yay buprenorphine letting me lead a halfway normal life.

I would say yes it very much alters the brain but I'd go one step further having been both an addict as well as homeless during clean time. The things I was willing to do in addiction to satisfy my craving to get high or to succumb to fear of withdrawal and the depressing sink into the disasterous reality I had created were way more demoralizing than what I did to find food, water, and shelter. Sex, theft, fraud, suicide attempts-those are the big ones. I never slept with anyone for water or stole food or wrote a bad check to get a hotel room. I paid very high prices with very low morals for my addiction. I would say that legalizing may some day change the stigma. I mean if other countries sell codeine OTC and some states have dispensaries now that may prevent lawlessness because it's accessible and legal but ultimately a person's use of some substances would have the same consequences. For example you couldn't be fired for dropping dirty but you could if you nod out at work after upping your dose. Either way there goes your job. True I was high functioning for years but as I gradually increased my doses and drugs that I used then my character really changes and was no longer conducive to family life or career. Whether you drop $300 a day at the dealer or the local mart the end result is the same. I have yet to meet someone who's addiction isn't on that same path to losing it all. Even others in high functioning states have gradually exhibited the signs of it leading to more. Anyone who has been there will recognize the comments and small almost invisible slip ups and changes in behavior. I've been really high at points and it has done two things to me 1)made my body less efficient at achieving and maintaining a good high and 2)given me something to compare everyday life to and be dissatisfied with because the chemical high from what I did far exceeds what my body has made me feel like at its best in sobriety.

i think opiates permanently altered my brain when it comes to anhedonia and motivation.it just seems like my pleasure pathways are forever altered and i simply lack motivation like most folks..motivation has always been aprob for me but before opiates i remember it wasnt a chore just to do basic things..then again, maybe my anhedonia has caused my lack of motivation?who knows but long term opiate use has messed me up permanently

the opiate brain changes are not permanent you just need to stay clean a few years and eventually you feel nomral without them.

the opiate brain changes are not permanent you just need to stay clean a few years and eventually you feel nomral without them.

The opiates do change the patterns in your brain & how you perceive everything in this world, but I think there are exceptions.

There are people that go hardcore & have done everything under the sun, while other addicts didn't dabble deep into it & they will have an easier time seeing things in life like they use to.

I think it depends on each persons usage over the years & how bad it got.

This is kinda how I felt after my experience with opiates. It just started out as having fun, kicking back with friends and railing oxy and just having a good time. But then I wanted that feeling again and again and so I got addicted. It didn't matter if I was with friends or not. I don't feel the same or think the same even to this day.

tried that, didnt work for me..still felt way off..i was guessing a third year wouldnt have helped..time was a wasting..everyone is different though, some say it took them 4 years to feel good after benzos..who knows?