• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Kratom Would Red-leaf Kratom possibly touch withdrawals from 175 mg methadone per day maintenance?

Although kratom will "do something" I am afraid that on such a high dose (tolerance) of methadone opioid effects of kratom (talking plain leaf not extracts) might just give some stimulant/jittery effects while opioid effects will be too small to make a noticeable difference. That is just my opinion. And buprenorphine and 100mg + methadone are not really comparable in the intensity of the withdrawal. So maybe when you get below ~50mg methadone (tolerance wise) plain leaf kratom could help. But hey, you have nothing to lose with trying. I honestly think that pregabalin (brand name Lyrica) would help you more at this point than plain leaf kratom. But about pregabalin talk to your doctor/precriber.

Just wanted to give my opinion. Take care and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah i will concur that plain leaf kratom
Although kratom will "do something" I am afraid that on such a high dose (tolerance) of methadone opioid effects of kratom (talking plain leaf not extracts) might just give some stimulant/jittery effects while opioid effects will be too small to make a noticeable difference. That is just my opinion. And buprenorphine and 100mg + methadone are not really comparable in the intensity of the withdrawal. So maybe when you get below ~50mg methadone (tolerance wise) plain leaf kratom could help. But hey, you have nothing to lose with trying. I honestly think that pregabalin (brand name Lyrica) would help you more at this point than plain leaf kratom. But about pregabalin talk to your doctor/precriber.

Just wanted to give my opinion. Take care and good luck!

Yes, precisely.

I remember kratom doing zero when i was on large doses of methadone (380mg). In fact 380mg of methadone is around 1 kilogram of kratom per day (ie about 15,000mg of mitragynine a day), which would be impossible to consume for most people. Even 1 kilogram of kratom wouldn't truly substitute for 380mg of methadone (1kg is the theoretical equivalent based on mitragynine's rough equivalency to morphine, and in turns morphines equivalency to methadone).

Point is, yes kratom has little utility in high dose opioid addiction. Its utility in moderate to light opioid dependency is high and is an excellent tool in such instances. Anything for over say [300mg] morphine equivalent units per day and it is not especially helpful.

Last edited:
Anything for over say 800mg morphine equivalent units per day and it is not especially helpful.

Although I agree with most (equivalents are not, as you alluded, that straightforward...maybe if one is talking about, for general public, non existing pharma grade extracts) I think that you have put too high utility for kratom. I know you were making a point but 800mg of morphine is something like a 300mg pharma grade diacetylmorphine and I don't believe plain leaf comes even close to that. People would vomit long before they were able to absorb and metabolise sufficient quantity from the plain leaf. I know you were more painting a general picture and proving a point, but I just wanted to write this for some reader in the future.

I will also echo that one should talk with his doctor about pregabalin, as it can be utilised greatly in this kind of situation. It brings it's own set of risks, but everything is of that nature. Life is an life threatening affair. 🙂

Although I agree with most (equivalents are not, as you alluded, that straightforward...maybe if one is talking about, for general public, non existing pharma grade extracts) I think that you have put too high utility for kratom. I know you were making a point but 800mg of morphine is something like a 300mg pharma grade diacetylmorphine and I don't believe plain leaf comes even close to that. People would vomit long before they were able to absorb and metabolise sufficient quantity from the plain leaf. I know you were more painting a general picture and proving a point, but I just wanted to write this for some reader in the future.

I will also echo that one should talk with his doctor about pregabalin, as it can be utilised greatly in this kind of situation. It brings it's own set of risks, but everything is of that nature. Life is an life threatening affair. 🙂
Yeah definitely not 800mg, i had meant to put 300mg of morphine equivalent per day.

The way i came about this number (or meant to) was the maximum for the average person to be able to consume is probably something like 60 grams of leaf per day. This contains around 900mg of mitragynine which is roughly equianalgesic to 300mg of morphine. The calculation doesn't take into account 7-OH-mitragynine but usually those concentrations are very low in plain leaf.

Gabapentin dosed properly or Lyrica have always been my secret weapon. That, coupled with kratom will make it less painful, but still, the withdrawal from mega doses of methadone are going to suck. Bad. Also, to the OP, when I was on 120mg of methadone and began my somewhat fast taper, I would wake up in the mornings in a state of pure anxiety and retch into the toilet just about every day. It was bizarre and methadone is the only thing that ever made me do this particularly since I shouldn't have been in withdrawal by then. It may have been psychosomatic, not sure. But it sounds very similar to what you're experiencing.

Anyways, it's been like a month since this thread was created, I wonder how he's doing.

I’m glad to read that it only works for an hour for more people than just me. Everyone says dose every 6 hours. I’m taking it for bupe wds, they are pretty severe. If I don’t get up and fix a sandwich the moment they kick in, I’ll miss my chance to fix food and to eat it.
I want to tell anyone who considers taking 76 capsules of kratom.
the most I’d ever taken was 30 at a time.
but two days ago, I was so sick coming off bupe that I quit counting my kratom capsules. I don’t know how many I took. But I felt edgy, nauseas, and bad afterward. Beginning later that night after I ate my first real meal, I’ve been very sick to my stomach. I think it’s trapped gas but the gas never stops forming. Puked badly at first and been eating gas-x ever since. Did my research and concluded it was the kratom OD.