• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Kratom Would Red-leaf Kratom possibly touch withdrawals from 175 mg methadone per day maintenance?

Bomb319

Bluelighter
As I have previously mentioned in other topics, I'm on 175 mg methadone daily, tapering down by 5 mg every 2-4 weeks or so. I'm a VERY RAPID METABOLIZER however, and on occasion, I will feel quite sick (extremely excessive yawning, sneezing fits, chills, sweats and even vomiting - but not quite to the point of diarrhea or restless legs). It can happen 24 hours or even less after my last dose, and I admit I'm guilty of occasionally taking my next day's take-home dose too quickly such that I can be out of the methadone for a day or potentially two straight days.

I've read that the Kratom with the most opioid-like effects (containing higher 7-hydroxymitragiynine, perhaps??) is the RED LEAF variety. Firstly, is that true? If so, is Maeng Da better than Bali or any other available varieties of powder? I remember long ago when kicking a bad IV heroin habit, I found a head shop that sold Kratom extract (10x, or 25x perhaps....? I totally forget the exact numbers) that came in small black pouches. This really did the trick quite well for me at the time. Nothing stellar to be sure, but certainly tamed most if not all WD and gave me a buzz to boot.

But with chronic methadone dosing...even after two days of definite withdrawal and severe discomfort, awakening sense of smell, goosebumps, sweating, yawns and sneezes again, large pupils and basically certain WD and psychological symptoms such as severe anxiety also, could I expect Red Leaf or ANY other variety of powder or capsules of kratom to take away any of the suffering?

As always, I TRULY appreciate your help, and thank you so very much for listening :) Looking forward to any and all advice you guys may have.

PS: As a side note, one thing about Kratom has ALWAYS bugged me!!! Is it pronounced CRAY-TUM, or KRAT- TUM (rhymes with CAT) :ROFLMAO:

No Kratom will do so much as touch the withdrawals of a 175mg/day Methadone habit.

I truly believe that there is negligible difference in different strains of Kratom. I took 75 capsules of Maeng Da and chased it with a Red Vein extract last week to ease the withdrawals of 14mg/day Buprenorphine. I felt better for approximately one hour.

Your call if you have the money to waste.

Last edited:
No Kratom will do so much as touch the withdrawals of a 175mg/day Methadone habit.
It will? Or did you mean won't?

Even capsules, extracts etc, you're saying there's basically no way to use kratom to relieve methadone WD (or that from other actual strong opioids/opiates)?

Negrogesic - haven't even heard of that actually. Is it available on most Kratom sites? I know of a few that seem to be good, and are based in my country (Canada).

CRAY-TUM, or KRAT- TUM

I'm not sure how officially it's pronounced, if there is even an official way. But ime it really depends on who you ask, I've met people who say it like "cray-tum" as well as people who say it the other way "Krat-tum".

I even have one headshop in town that pronounces in the first way and anotherthat pronounces it the second way. In either case the employees will correct you if you pronounce it the 'wrong' way, it's pretty silly.

Not sure if OPMS extracts are available in canada, but any liquid extract in high volume is worth a try. This would get very expensive fast. But it could work as a test to see if kratom even works for methadone.

However ive tried kratom for methadone withdrawal and it didnt work. Never tried extracts but all that would do is to indicate if the leaf would do anything. I never tried very high doses of kratom though.

I'm not sure how officially it's pronounced, if there is even an official way. But ime it really depends on who you ask, I've met people who say it like "cray-tum" as well as people who say it the other way "Krat-tum".

I even have one headshop in town that pronounces in the first way and anotherthat pronounces it the second way. In either case the employees will correct you if you pronounce it the 'wrong' way, it's pretty silly.

I always pronounced it "kruh-TOM" back in 2002/2003 when I started using it, before it was popular or much known at all in America. Apparently where it comes from, it's pronounced like that.

But yeah that dose of methadone is way too high for kratom to be able to touch, unfortunately.

At best kratom will help ease physical symptoms but no change in the mental dread. Kratom is great for folks with little to no tolerance.

I remember trying to ease a fent withdrawal with kratom and feeling absolutely nothing every time. I just went back to sleep and huddled under the blankets lol.

You would have to be off methadone for at least 3 days at that dose for kratom to even get past the blocking effect, even without throwing tolerance into the equation.

You can look into loperamide, gabapentin, or cimetidine. They all help methadone last longer in their own way. Of course, they all have minor risks. I would recommend gabapentin over the others.

You would have to be off methadone for at least 3 days at that dose for kratom to even get past the blocking effect, even without throwing tolerance into the equation.

Personally I would say more like 5-7 days.

kratom is like weed.... compared to synthetic cannabinoids

A partial agonist vs full agonist. It's like a dude in a loincloth with a stick vs a knight in shining armor

Maybe an extreme example, as synth cannabinoids will block all THC for over a month.... but similar... just trying to make a point

kratom is like weed.... compared to synthetic cannabinoids

A partial agonist vs full agonist. It's like a dude in a loincloth with a stick vs a knight in shining armor

Maybe an extreme example, as synth cannabinoids will block all THC for over a month.... but similar... just trying to make a point

Yeah "at least" was probably generous. He claimed to be a fast metabolizer, hard to say, but yeah, likely many days

Methadone has a very long half-life for an Opioid. The withdrawals fall accordingly.

I know many people say opioid withdrawals begin to subside after 3-5 days, but those of us who have experienced it know that is not accurate.

First off, that 175mg methadone dose withdrawal is going to be absolutely devastating. The kratom will definitely help but will by no means stop the withdrawals but it will be helpful. I've done this exact thing before when I was on MMT. I'd run out of my 120mg take homes, and I'd supplement with kratom to try to stave off the brutality of it all. It does help, but personally I'd always go for the Green Maeng Da strains. I've never had very good luck with red veins, and as someone earlier in the thread mentioned, there really isn't a huge difference between the strains. It's mostly marketing. A guy on reddit actually toured where kratom is produced and most of the red strains were just dried out/fermented more than the greens. There's a lot of bullshit involved.

Get yourself some red Bali kratom. Make some coffee, put the kratom powder ( I take two tablespoons) in 1/4 cup of HOT water. DRINK IMMEDIATELY! This lasts me 8 hours for just feeling better In general.. God luck, I agree, probably wont do a whole lot in the beginning toward your withdrawal, but it will help you with aches and pains.

Get yourself some red Bali kratom. Make some coffee, put the kratom powder ( I take two tablespoons) in 1/4 cup of HOT water. DRINK IMMEDIATELY! This lasts me 8 hours for just feeling better In general.. God luck, I agree, probably wont do a whole lot in the beginning toward your withdrawal, but it will help you with aches and pains.

1/4 cup of water? Such a little amount of water sounds like it would make a paste 🤔

Kratom is something ill never get used to in terms of taste. And its odd because i am pretty insensitive or uncaring about taste. Still i always dump the powder into my mouth and wash and toss it.

I truly believe that there is negligible difference in different strains of Kratom. I took 75 capsules of Maeng Da and chased it with a Red Vein extract last week to ease the withdrawals of 14mg/day Buprenorphine. I felt better for approximately one hour.

Your call if you have the money to waste.
I’m glad to read that it only works for an hour for more people than just me. Everyone says dose every 6 hours. I’m taking it for bupe wds, they are pretty severe. If I don’t get up and fix a sandwich the moment they kick in, I’ll miss my chance to fix food and to eat it.

As I have previously mentioned in other topics, I'm on 175 mg methadone daily, tapering down by 5 mg every 2-4 weeks or so. I'm a VERY RAPID METABOLIZER however, and on occasion, I will feel quite sick (extremely excessive yawning, sneezing fits, chills, sweats and even vomiting - but not quite to the point of diarrhea or restless legs). It can happen 24 hours or even less after my last dose, and I admit I'm guilty of occasionally taking my next day's take-home dose too quickly such that I can be out of the methadone for a day or potentially two straight days.

I've read that the Kratom with the most opioid-like effects (containing higher 7-hydroxymitragiynine, perhaps??) is the RED LEAF variety. Firstly, is that true? If so, is Maeng Da better than Bali or any other available varieties of powder? I remember long ago when kicking a bad IV heroin habit, I found a head shop that sold Kratom extract (10x, or 25x perhaps....? I totally forget the exact numbers) that came in small black pouches. This really did the trick quite well for me at the time. Nothing stellar to be sure, but certainly tamed most if not all WD and gave me a buzz to boot.

But with chronic methadone dosing...even after two days of definite withdrawal and severe discomfort, awakening sense of smell, goosebumps, sweating, yawns and sneezes again, large pupils and basically certain WD and psychological symptoms such as severe anxiety also, could I expect Red Leaf or ANY other variety of powder or capsules of kratom to take away any of the suffering?

As always, I TRULY appreciate your help, and thank you so very much for listening :) Looking forward to any and all advice you guys may have.

PS: As a side note, one thing about Kratom has ALWAYS bugged me!!! Is it pronounced CRAY-TUM, or KRAT- TUM (rhymes with CAT) :ROFLMAO:
Once you feel withdrawals, kratom will do something. People have advised you that methadone will block kratom, or that kratom won’t help AT ALL. But I suggest to you that it will “help.” Between kratom and tramadol, kratom has been much more alleviating of my symptoms on buprenorphine withdrawal. But the more severe the withdrawals get, the less they help, even combined at super high doses. Once you are so desperate you’ll do anything, it’ll help you.