• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

WORK SUCKS: Talk About Your Job

I've accomplished a lot in my education and I'm still not done. My career is just swell. Thanks for asking.

I love my job. I just got promoted to full time after a year and a half of really hard "part time" work (part time ... although I was still working as much as I could, 44 hrs, for the past six months). I love what I do, and I'm really good at it. I have an awesome manager who appreciates it as well. Most of my coworkers are pretty awesome. There are a few of them who are the "social crew" who talk nonstop and don't do much work, not a fan of them, but everyone else is great. But it's nice when hard work pays off and that people actually appreciate the work that I do. I'm really happy to have found a job that I love.

I love my job. I work like 2 days a week, cause I just go in and stay there, doing my 35-40 hours in one shot (lolol yay ADHD meds). I get all my assigned taskings from higher up complete and then spend the rest of the time with my fiance. :D

School is pretty win too. I'm just waiting for my research to go thru peer review, and be evaluated by other types of scientists to provide feed-back on the next step on the project. It's an applied project so aside from the physics end, it needs to be evaluated by the physicians in terms of it's clinical utility and by engineers in terms of how to improve the equipment as I ad-hoc'd most of my apparatus together.

I love my job.

I love my job.

me too!

i spend most of my time doing math, researching new ways to do math, or yelling at people about how they did their math. reasonable hours, smart interesting co-workers and good pay. every now and then there's some really boring bureaucratic stuff i have to deal with (i work for a bank), but it's never terrible and i feel like checking in with reality once in a while probably keeps me from becoming a total space cadet.

I dislike my job :p therefore, I figured that another degree would be the logical solution to all my problems...

i hate my job. it's a meaningless, robotic, peon job for people with no education. that being said i started doing the fafsa thing here (the first time i fucked up and tried to start too soon before it came through) and i do plan on doing that still.....but in a place i can actually stand. so while my moving right now might seem flaky from the outside i see it as an investment in my mental health. i can transfer my shitty job there, look for a better one or get on disability (i am surely actually deserving of this, mentally, i surely assure you) and work part time. THEN do the fafsa thing out there. i don't know what i specifically want to do but i know pursuing something you have an interest in opens up doors to tolerable jobs just by having the degree and networking. plus with the grants i'll qualify for it's not like i'll be getting myself into debt or something. we'll see.

i am bumping this for one reason only.

to remove that stupid "they shot couscous for being.." subject line from the top of the page. every time i skim past E&C i think some teens were dumb enough to inject couscous.

i am bumping this for one reason only.

to remove that stupid "they shot couscous for being.." subject line from the top of the page. every time i skim past E&C i think some teens were dumb enough to inject couscous.

I was going to move that thread....but then I got high.

damnit, now it's atop at ce&p! nooooooooo!

I should find a new job landscaping is just gonna make me want opiates again

plus I deal with weeds all day but the useless, invasive kinds not the kinds I go to work to be able to buy

I should find a new job landscaping is just gonna make me want opiates again

plus I deal with weeds all day but the useless, invasive kinds not the kinds I go to work to be able to buy

How'd you get into landscaping? I'm trying to find a second job, and that sounds like something I'd love doing. Something about working outside :)

Started 3 different uni educations, didn't push through with any of them. Currently delivering packages for FedEx 8) I intend to give it one more shot coming next september. In the meantime I'll keep sitting on my ass, throwing packages around, enjoying life in the weekends. Gotta pay the bills somehow, and I'm lucky to get a job at the moment, let alone one where I can sit on my ass and listen to sweet beats all the time. To be honest, I've been losing motivation to keep on studying lately. I am really enjoying my life at the moment overall. I am blessed with great friends and lead an interesting (to me) life. In the long haul I'll probably regret not pushing myself further, so I will most likely give it one more shot. But I did learn that a higher level of education doesn't necessarily give more happiness. Then again, there is no way in hell I want to spend my life doing superficial tasks like delivering packages or something of the likes.
I guess I should try harder to find out what really brings me happiness as far as productive work goes, and see what options lie ahead of me.

How'd you get into landscaping? I'm trying to find a second job, and that sounds like something I'd love doing. Something about working outside :)

I know someone from a while back who started their own business

it's definitely working outisde though like if you want to get as much done as possible. South Americans make me look like molasses tbh

too much to do, not enough money.
i hate working for the corps.
This is a winner. He knows the truth. Working for the man is not providing any real fulfillment in anyone's lives. People that say they love their job cannot be trusted.

I've accomplished a lot in my education and I'm still not done. My career is just swell. Thanks for asking.
+
This is also true. At one time in my life I needed a job more than I needed my pride and I was hired because I left my college education off my resume and application.
=
arbys_logo2.jpg

Last edited:
Some random thoughts, before I continue to ignore you for the rest of my life.

Pride is a sign of taking oneself way too seriously. Pride in one's accomplishments is rational, but pride in yourself, to the point where you get elevated blood pressure and red in the face just for thinking about doing some menial job that you think you are too good for, is just plain immaturity. Especially when you have no accomplishments of note.

People that say they love their job usually have pretty sweet jobs too. As a person with a wholly adolescent sense of the world, I'm sure you never thought that there could be jobs that people enjoyed outside of the cliched childhood fantasies of "rockstar, astronaut, kung fu master, princess" but, alas, there's so much stuff out there you literally have no idea what you're talking about.

B.A.= Barrista Apprentice.
B.F.A.=Bachelor's of Frappachino Assembly.
M.F.A. Master of Frappachino Assembly.

Legit: It's true. Ms.G and I go to a Starbucks in the atrium of a huge hospital with extensive research facilities as well as doing very major procedures like Multi organ transplants, etc.

The people working at the Starbucks are typical indie/hipster "artist" types with tats, ear lobe stretching things, lip rings, etc, making $12.00/hr, serving coffee up to M.D.'s and B.Sc/M.Sc/Ph.D's/P.Eng etc wearing scrubs and lab coats and suits who make $500,000.00+ a year.

It makes me smile every time I walk in there.

That's right bitches, make my coffee. Too bad a little bit of integral calc made your stomach turn, cause now you don't even have the time or money to do the art you had a passion for, cause you're working at starbucks during the day and waiting tables at night to pay for your rent and maybe a PBR here and there.