• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler

Word of the Day IV - Letter Words

2 words from me. Just because. O-fucking-K.

Afternoon tea.

Fucking travesty that some place think it's ok to serve up sandwiches with no cucumber. Is it Brexit or oncoming independence with the attitude? No one is impressed 8)

cunts.

Not a fan of "ineffable", really.

I believe the universe is absolutely effable; and if anyone says otherwise, I think that just casts doubt on their own effing ability.

Not a fan of "ineffable", really.

I believe the universe is absolutely effable; and if anyone says otherwise, I think that just casts doubt on their own effing ability.

Then we must have had differing psychedelic experiences.

Do you not believe some vocabularies have mutually exclusive (untranslateable from one language to the other) words? Do you not recognize that, e.g Chinese has a totally different thought structure behind its language than does English? Can you therefore not see that even on this non-psychedelic level, the word ineffable has validity?

Oh sorry. Meant to talk about wellingtons. That all just slipped out.

Cete

I had no idea until yesterday that this is how you spell a 'cete of badgers'.

True, but would just like to point out that 'Cete', as in the plural noun for a group of badgers, is not the same as 'Sett', as in a badger's home...

True, but would just like to point out that 'Cete', as in the plural noun for a group of badgers, is not the same as 'Sett', as in a badger's home...

Collective noun, but yes, absolutely correct. Which is why I've always thought it was a 'sett of badgers'.

Gosh life is confusing, even without drugs.

Collective noun, but yes, absolutely correct. Which is why I've always thought it was a 'sett of badgers'.

Gosh life is confusing, even without drugs.

'Collective noun'. That's the term I was looking for. It was on the tip of my tongue (just like thrush). Cheers SHM. :)

Then we must have had differing psychedelic experiences.
But a psychedelic experience is just a chemical reaction in the brain producing a distorted perception of reality. The reason why it defies understanding is simply that there is no intrinsic meaning to be understood (or not).
Do you not believe some vocabularies have mutually exclusive (untranslateable from one language to the other) words?
Why would they, save for failure of imagination on someone's part? If a speaker of language A can articulate a given concept, then it's expressible. And if a concept is expressible in one language, then it is expressible in any language. And the only thing stopping a speaker of language B from articulating the same concept is the need to invent a new word (or just borrow the existing word from language A).
Do you not recognize that, e.g Chinese has a totally different thought structure behind its language than does English?
But language does not constrain abstract thought. Otherwise, nobody would ever be able to express a new concept. But we can most certainly conceive of things that don't yet have words to describe them.
Can you therefore not see that even on this non-psychedelic level, the word ineffable has validity?
I'm not disputing its validity. I'm just not sure that anything satisfies the definition, is all.

^

Vocabulary isn't just words, it's thought patterns. This is why (approximately) the Chinese have the same word/symbol for chaos as they do for opportunity.

You do not seem to understand this.

There are reasons for number patterns (for example) being culture specific. There are cultures in the world that do not have numbers for 'above 3' for example. There are cultures that count in 5's, 10's 12's etc. This is not random. There are reasons Romans had no zero in their concept of numbers.

Go tell the Chinese/many other cultures to 'invent new words'.

Your concept of language and vocabulary is ridiculously simplistic and elicits no understanding or idea of cultural phenomema or even etymology.