• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Withdrawals after 5 days of opiod use?

sickandtired123

Greenlighter
So about 16 months ago I quit heroin and benzos - had a very large habit which was quite awful to kick. Been sober this whole time until one week ago. For some dumb reason I decided it would be a good idea to get some lortabs and got about 40 of them, thinking I'd take them for a few days and it wouldn't be a big deal. Anyway, starting from no tolerance I was taking approx 80mg per day. So after using them for 5 days (Friday through Tuesday) I noticed that when I skipped Wednesday I felt like shit - chills, sweats, nauseous, yawning, eyes watering, dysphoria and the like. Not anything like a real kick but seriously unpleasant. Decided to use the last 80mg I had on Thursday and felt much, much better.

I know this isn't anything like a serious habit so I'm not looking for sympathy or anything, just wondering if this is common? I've kicked a number of times but never experienced symptoms after only 5 days of use. Yesterday (Friday) was uncomfortable and today is a bit more so with muscle aches and and restless legs. I am not going to keep using, better to quit with only mild withdrawals than go back into the daily grind of addiction.

yea it happens, if you have been addicted previously you can have little kicks from short binges.

yep those are early phase withdrawals..once get really hooked, the withdrawals turn into fierce fireballs..an agony you dont want to ever experience..i remember when i first started getting withdrawals from heroin like watery eyes, yawning, back pain, if only i had the sense to stop then..down the road you will be barey be able to get out of bed or eat or function!

You say starting from no tolerance you took 80mg, but that's a HIGH tolerance! Just cause you quit dopin' 16 months ago doesn't mean you're back to baseline. Tolerance is impossible to judge that way, varies from person to person.

One thing is for sure though, after being addicted to opioids once it's really impossible to use more than 1-2 days without experience withdrawal. I experience it after a single dose, of course it's mild, but it is still there and that's what fuels the addiction.

yea it happens, if you have been addicted previously you can have little kicks from short binges.

That is what I figured was going on, just surprised it happened after 5 days. Perhaps it is due to the rather high doses I was taking. Redosing each day before the opiods were out of my system.

yep those are early phase withdrawals..once get really hooked, the withdrawals turn into fierce fireballs..an agony you dont want to ever experience..i remember when i first started getting withdrawals from heroin like watery eyes, yawning, back pain, if only i had the sense to stop then..down the road you will be barey be able to get out of bed or eat or function!

As I said above, I've been through that hell before. Quit while doing about ~1g of H and 25mg+ of xanax (or other equivalent benzo dose) per day. It was fucking rough to say the least.

You say starting from no tolerance you took 80mg, but that's a HIGH tolerance! Just cause you quit dopin' 16 months ago doesn't mean you're back to baseline. Tolerance is impossible to judge that way, varies from person to person.

One thing is for sure though, after being addicted to opioids once it's really impossible to use more than 1-2 days without experience withdrawal. I experience it after a single dose, of course it's mild, but it is still there and that's what fuels the addiction.

After 16 months my physical tolerance may not be 0 but it was close to it, or as close as it will ever get. Just because I was taking high doses doesn't mean my tolerance was "HIGH," it just means I can handle high doses. Also, I've been clean and used for a couple days and not experiences withdrawals. I can totally relate to that mild discomfort fueling the addiction though. It is just so easy to say "fuck it, I'll use today and just deal with the withdrawals tomorrow" and keep putting it off - that is how I've always started the cycle of physical dependency. I'm just glad I'm only facing this mild discomfort instead of debilitating withdrawals.

I have a crazy theory that tolerance is in part due to the degradation and rearranging of an individuals unique neural network and naturally available neurotransmitters at different routes. Genetics play a large role here as does socio-environmental influence.

I believe personally, with very little scientific backing and only for the reason of self improvement, that my unique neural network was altered the moment i first took an opiate back when i was in high school. Whether or not a 'switch is flipped' in the addicts mind, or whether other various metaphors seem more suitable, in retrospect that was the turning point in the restructuring of my current neural network.

So I started using hydrocodone here and there at age 14, by age 18 I had been inventive enough to have somewhat thoroughly explored every major recreational class of drugs (or so I had thought) including the relative RC's of that era. Heroin, Meth, and PCP were still on my list. All the while i was completely unaware that, amongst my garbage disposal of a fear and loathing style look alike travel case's worth of past and future explorations of an ever-broadening horizon, there she was, so quietly and eloquently towering over me. The never-ending face of the mountain of opiate addiction.

It's been about 5 years since my 4 year heroin driven needle fixation. I now shuffle around my dependencies as a form of socio-economical management. I feel like I've come pretty far, but it would be wise to admit that denial may just be showing it's true colors for the first time.

I've zeroed out my tolerance, and enjoy cycles of sobriety. But to get back to baseline completely would realistically be impossible, because the brain structure changes regardless of which drugs we take or refuse. But if it were possible, I'd have to imagine it would take me 14 years, plus the time i spent using free of any substance before I could accurately make a judgement.

... rearranging of an individuals unique neural network and naturally available neurotransmitters at different routes...

It seems that you have spent a lot of time thinking about this, as your well articulated writing would suggest. I certainly agree that long term opiate use has a way of changing something in the body. After years of daily opiate use, it would stand to reason that my body would adapt to foreign opiates replacing the ones naturally made. I'd venture a guess that my body knows what to do when given synthetic opioids - it down regulates production in its natural endorphins, manifesting itself by means of withdrawal after short term use.

For someone that has never been through opiate addiction, their body likely continues making its own endorphins for a longer period of time than would mine. Whereas my body likely, even after only 5 days of using, decreases its endorphin production and gives the sensation of withdrawal after discontinuing use. Can anyone cite medical articles that would suggest this is true or false?

Thanks

I have had on and off periods of opiate use over the last 22 years.

Once I had experienced dependency, the time frame I could use any opiate and not experienced got shorter and shorter

I had almost 9 years off all drugs. I used 3 days in a row and experienced mild to medium wd.

The last relapse I experienced wd very slightly after day one, more after day 2, and after 3 days was right back into dependency. Now--it's not the type of dependency you would have after months of use. But it's more than a nuisance.

I never believed the addiction to be "progressive" even when not using until I experienced this.

It seems once you have a habit bad enough to have major wd from, the days of consecutive use get shorter and shorter every time.

So--yes, it's very common. In fact I'd say it's the norm

How come you have withdrawals in a shorter duration of use after addiction?

Evey

Before I was a full blown addict, if I got high 2 days in a row, I felt like shit the 3rd day. I also had a high tolerance to begin with somehow. Even when I was opiate naive, I would rail 2 Roxi 30s to get high.

It's called kindling and it's a term used in benzo withdrawal lingo, every successive cessation of opiate (or benzo) gets worse... Basically your brain feels the opiate and goes "oh, I remember this, I better rearrange myself immediately to compensate." Your subconscious brain remembers very quickly...

It's called kindling and it's a term used in benzo withdrawal lingo, every successive cessation of opiate (or benzo) gets worse... Basically your brain feels the opiate and goes "oh, I remember this, I better rearrange myself immediately to compensate." Your subconscious brain remembers very quickly...

QFT. The kindling effect is especially damaging when you try to jump back and forth between active use and bupe.

That's an ace way of explaining it. Love it!

Evey

Interesting about the kindling, I've never heard of that but I can believe it. Seems like even if I've been clean for months whenever I start again I really only enjoy it the first 1 or 2 times. After that it just becomes not feeling shitty.

So about 16 months ago I quit heroin and benzos - had a very large habit which was quite awful to kick. Been sober this whole time until one week ago. For some dumb reason I decided it would be a good idea to get some lortabs and got about 40 of them, thinking I'd take them for a few days and it wouldn't be a big deal. Anyway, starting from no tolerance I was taking approx 80mg per day. So after using them for 5 days (Friday through Tuesday) I noticed that when I skipped Wednesday I felt like shit - chills, sweats, nauseous, yawning, eyes watering, dysphoria and the like. Not anything like a real kick but seriously unpleasant. Decided to use the last 80mg I had on Thursday and felt much, much better.

I know this isn't anything like a serious habit so I'm not looking for sympathy or anything, just wondering if this is common? I've kicked a number of times but never experienced symptoms after only 5 days of use. Yesterday (Friday) was uncomfortable and today is a bit more so with muscle aches and and restless legs. I am not going to keep using, better to quit with only mild withdrawals than go back into the daily grind of addiction.

How are you feeling? <3

Evey

Perhaps I'm a bit late here, but I'm feeling good. I know I have a weakness for opioids and don't know how long I'll be on subs, but the shit works for me. The kindling effect is disconcerting, but it makes sense that after years of chemical abuse my body is ready to downregulate endorphins at the drop of a hat.

Thus far I have been fortunate enough to steer clear from further kindling my opioid addiction too much. Had a few more days/weeks of sporadic use followed by a wicked heroin relapse in 2018 that lasted a month and a half, and have been on Suboxone since. I even managing to stay sober for a few years, but have since rekindled my love psychedelics and ketamine.

In fact, that's what brought me back here was some research into LSD tolerance. I try to keep it to no more than once every week or two. I've got a good rhythm going right now, at least one that's working for me at the moment.

Life is a lot less chaotic.

I get on "real" opioids for three days at a medium dose and will go through withdrawals. They may not be as bad as months/years of use but it's there.
I know my wds :drama: