• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Withdrawal After 7-8 Weeks on Opioids

SamanthaB

Bluelighter
I was put on two different opioids for pain for a kidney infection over a 7-8 week period (one around 7 weeks and then switched to the other for maybe 2 days and then quit that one cause it made me sick). I seem to be getting to the end of withdrawal after 17 days. Does anyone know why someone would have withdrawal from being on a two time per day low dose of opioids for such a short time? I was first on Tramadol and then on Oxycodone.

Last edited:
dosing opiates every day for 2 months is enough to experience withdrawal symptoms, but they shouldn't be very severe or last very long -- unless you have a previous history of use/abuse, if that is the case in my experience a 2 month run on opiates after being clean for X amount of time will still produce a withdrawal similar to if i used for a year straight, for example.

Thanks for your response.

I have never abused opiates. I took them about 7 years ago for 6 weeks for severe Bell's Palsy pain and just stopped. I had no withdrawal. I think at that time, I was on a different one. My recollection was that it was Vicodin. I also took them a couple of times for a week or two after injuries. However, two years ago, I withdrew from .5 mgs of Klonopin that I took for a year and a half to counteract the insomnia side effects of a psych med and had a terrible time withdrawing from that. It took me 4 months!!! It was pretty awful. Maybe that is why this has hit me this way. After 17 days, the withdrawal symptoms are pretty minor now, but I still have a few.

I just recently went through a heroin detox after using pretty heavily for multiple years. Was in a hospital setting, and any legitimate noticeable withdrawal was over by day 5 (the very day I had a massive brain malfunction, left AMA, and got high within 30 mins or less of leaving the hospital...ugh). Not sure what you could be experiencing, but seems unusual to say the least.

If you were in a hospital, they may have given you the anecdote or other drugs to ease you through the process. I have had nothing until two days ago when my PCP said I could use Benadryl every 4 hours as needed or go on Clonidine once a day. I did not want anymore drugs, per se. So, I am just using the Benadryl. If I could take IBP to help with the withdrawal symptoms that might have been helpful. However, I took IBP for something else before and after I first got the kidney infection and got gastritis and had to go off of them. My stomach will take some time to heal. Tylenol does not agree with me. I have now read that some people can develop a dependency quickly, even after just a couple of weeks. My age - almost 70 - may have something to do with the problems I have had with withdrawal. I am waiting for my doctor to answer my e-mail about why he thinks I have had this. I will post his response when I get it. When I asked him the other day how long I could have this, he said some people have it a month, but symptoms start to ease at some point along the line. That has been the case with me, but I still have them for some period each day. I am overly sensitive to drugs in general and do not tolerate a lot of them and they make me sick. Maybe it is just me. I guess we all know that everyone is different. UGH!!!

It's not all that surprising. I would expect a certain level of discomfort following a few weeks of Opioids, even at prescribed dosages. I assume you're still at a level that would be described as "functional", whereas as serious fiend will be in the fetal position following abrupt cessation. I really wouldn't worry about it. Think about not having your cup of coffee/tea in the morning. Don't you crave it if you don't have it? Doesn't your day seem just a little "off"? That's something relatively minor. Any kind of serious change is going to produce some discomfort. I imagine that by day 4-5 you'll be totally homeostatic.

Keif, Well, this is day 17 for me on this withdrawal! And, I am not at homeostasis yet. I am not sick all day with the 10 or so symptoms that have alternated, and yesterday was a pretty good day as long as I took the Imitrex, Benadryl and Zofran if I had a migraine and/or felt sick. Today, those things (with the exception of the Imitrex) did not work very well and I felt really sick until about 3:30 p.m. I am not in the fetal position with these symptoms, but I am on the couch and am not doing much of anything in the house except getting some food, going to the bathroom, etc. I have only gone out to procure some food and water from the store and that is it, except I did push myself to take a short walk yesterday and today. Feeling really sick, nauseated and intermittent muscle aches and pains are my biggest symptoms at this point. Today is the first day I have had any appetite and did not have to force myself to eat, so things must be getting better on some level. I have had to supplement my diet with Ensure 2 x day (350 calories each) to make sure I do not lose any more weight. My day today and most of the others up to now, could best be described as "awful" and not just "a little off."

I get it and I apologize for what was kind of a blanket statement. I regret using the term homeostasis, because that's inaccurate and I apologize. It's not uncommon to experience some transient withdrawal symptoms for a couple of weeks. What folks mean in general when they use terms like 72 hour withdrawal, is that after the 72 hour mark, the most extreme symptoms should begin to subside and you should be able to hydrate and eat.

It's not uncommon for lingering symptoms like apathy, depression, anxiety, RLS/Akathisia etc. to last for a little while, but they should typically resolve within a week or two. I would say that your experience is a little bit outside the norm, but it's nothing crazy. I would just like to ask, to be clear, you've had absolutely no Opioids in this 17 day period? What about other drugs?

Hi Keif, Apology accepted and I totally understand. Unfortunately, you did not have all the information. The following is going to be complicated. So bare with me. I have had no opioids at all in 17 days. I have only taken them a few times in my life for very short periods of time for a broken arm and Bell's Palsy. However, I had a very unusual virus most of the time for the past 17 months and had to take antivirals for a year and was put on Klonopin .5 mgs last October at night for insomnia caused by the antivirals. I am still on that. I no longer take the antivirals. I contracted a kidney infection after an epidural steroid injection for spinal stenosis in early June. Those injections can lower your immunity and you are more susceptible to getting infections. I was not diagnosed with the kidney infection until July 9th. I had been taking IBP for a few weeks before being diagnosed, but it started bothering my stomach and had to stop it. I then went on the opioids after the diagnosis, since the pain from the kidney infection was a 10. I went on Tramadol 50 mgs 2/day for about 5 weeks and then went on 5 mgs. 2/day of oxycodone for almost 3 weeks. My symptoms have been numerous and come and are now mostly gone. They occurred not only throughout the day but each day I usually did not have the same ones. Right now, things seem to be winding down and today I only got muscle pain and aches, nausea, migraine headaches and feeling really ill. I have been taking Benadryl the last couple of days (which has helped some) and from the beginning have been taking Imitrex PRN for the migraines and Zofran PRN for nausea that makes me feel really ill. The symptoms I had today went away late this afternoon and I felt the best I have felt in 17 days. Tonight, I was finally able to eat food and had an appetite. The symptoms I have had have been, excessive yawning, salivation, migraine headaches, muscle and joint aches (severe at times), nausea (sometimes severe), stomach discomfort, back pain, sweating (on and off), loss of appetite and hard to eat anything, feeling very ill, chills, weakness and once felt like something was being pulled out of my brain and it effected my vision briefly. It made me sweat and feel really ill. I only had that symptom once a few days ago and it only lasted for a few minutes. It was very weird. I have to believe this current withdrawal has something to do with being on the Klonopin. I was on it previously a few years ago for a year and a half when I got insomnia from an antidepressant I was on. When I discontinued the psych med, I had withdrawal symptoms for 5 weeks from that and a month later started tapering the Klonopin. I had withdrawal symptoms everyday for 4 months to get off .5 mgs. My PCP says sometimes a relatively short course like I had with opioids can cause withdrawal symptoms and they can sometimes last a month! Incredible to me. I would have never thought I would have been in this spot. This is one of the reasons why the government and health authorities are up in arms about opioids. I doubt I will ever take another opioid again in my life. I think my situation is pretty unusual in the sense I have had a lot going on with my health and that probably is contributing as well. And, I also am still on .5 mgs. of Klonopin. Who knows how all of this has contributed to this discontinuation syndrome. Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. People here have a lot of experience with this kind of thing and I do not. I am truly grateful for all the input I have received. BTW, the withdrawal symptoms I had from the Klonopin 2 years ago were very different from the opioid withdrawal symptoms. I do not think they were as bad, they just went on for 4 months, which made them really awful.

Last edited:
Hi Keif, Apology accepted and I totally understand. Unfortunately, you did not have all the information. The following is going to be complicated. So bare with me. I have had no opioids at all in 17 days. I have only taken them a few times in my life for very short periods of time for a broken arm and Bell's Palsy. However, I had a very unusual virus most of the time for the past 17 months and had to take antivirals for a year and was put on Klonopin .5 mgs last October at night for insomnia caused by the antivirals. I am still on that. I no longer take the antivirals. I contracted a kidney infection after an epidural steroid injection for spinal stenosis in early June. Those injections can lower your immunity and you are more susceptible to getting infections. I was not diagnosed with the kidney infection until July 9th. I had been taking IBP for a few weeks before being diagnosed, but it started bothering my stomach and had to stop it. I then went on the opioids after the diagnosis, since the pain from the kidney infection was a 10. I went on Tramadol 50 mgs 2/day for about 5 weeks and then went on 5 mgs. 2/day of oxycodone for almost 3 weeks. My symptoms have been numerous and come and are now mostly gone. They occurred not only throughout the day but each day I usually did not have the same ones. Right now, things seem to be winding down and today I only got muscle pain and aches, nausea, migraine headaches and feeling really ill. I have been taking Benadryl the last couple of days (which has helped some) and from the beginning have been taking Imitrex PRN for the migraines and Zofran PRN for nausea that makes me feel really ill. The symptoms I had today went away late this afternoon and I felt the best I have felt in 17 days. Tonight, I was finally able to eat food and had an appetite. The symptoms I have had have been, excessive yawning, salivation, migraine headaches, muscle and joint aches (severe at times), nausea (sometimes severe), stomach discomfort, back pain, sweating (on and off), loss of appetite and hard to eat anything, feeling very ill, chills, weakness and once felt like something was being pulled out of my brain and it effected my vision briefly. It made me sweat and feel really ill. I only had that symptom once a few days ago and it only lasted for a few minutes. It was very weird. I have to believe this current withdrawal has something to do with being on the Klonopin. I was on it previously a few years ago for a year and a half when I got insomnia from an antidepressant I was on. When I discontinued the psych med, I had withdrawal symptoms for 5 weeks from that and a month later started tapering the Klonopin. I had withdrawal symptoms everyday for 4 months to get off .5 mgs. My PCP says sometimes a relatively short course like I had with opioids can cause withdrawal symptoms and they can sometimes last a month! Incredible to me. I would have never thought I would have been in this spot. This is one of the reasons why the government and health authorities are up in arms about opioids. I doubt I will ever take another opioid again in my life. I think my situation is pretty unusual in the sense I have had a lot going on with my health and that probably is contributing as well. And, I also am still on .5 mgs. of Klonopin. Who knows how all of this has contributed to this discontinuation syndrome. Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. People here have a lot of experience with this kind of thing and I do not. I am truly grateful for all the input I have received. BTW, the withdrawal symptoms I had from the Klonopin 2 years ago were very different from the opioid withdrawal symptoms. I do not think they were as bad, they just went on for 4 months, which made them really awful.

I thought even withdrawal from the most minor addictions to opiates last ATLEAST a year usually longer and the craving you get for life why the fun would anyone touch that shite

I thought even withdrawal from the most minor addictions to opiates last ATLEAST a year usually longer and the craving you get for life why the fun would anyone touch that shite

because people are in pain? what don't you understand?
and yes, PAWS can last a while.

AmysteriousmAn, I am NOT addicted. My body developed some kind of a dependence after taking a small dose of the opioid for 7 weeks. From what I know, if you are dependent and not addicted, you do not crave the drug. I certainly had no cravings. In my case, I went off the drug when I did cause it was making me sick. As it turned out, it was actually causing the pain I was treating at some point. Who knows when that was. I did not know that until I went off of it and the pain was gone. I can tell you, I will never go on another opioid again as long as I live. I would not wish this withdrawal syndrome on my worst enemy. After feeling good for a half day yesterday and thinking all this might be behind me, I started feeling kind of sick today about 9:00 a.m. and every part of my body aches and it is continuing. My sense of this is that I am going to be going through this for the whole month. In 10 days it will be 28 days, and I am using that benchmark as my month, lol. I am trying to be optimistic that it will be gone more quickly, but it is hard. However, I have to honestly say that each day for the last 3 days, I am slowly feeling a little better as they go by. The great thing that happened last evening is I got my appetite back and that is a huge leap in my recovery. I actually want food now and can eat it without forcing myself. As far as why people touch these drugs, the reasons are as varied as there are people probably. But, "keeping" is correct, they start cause they are in some kind of pain - either emotional, physical or both.

Last edited:
AmysteriousmAn, I am NOT addicted. My body developed some kind of a dependence after taking a small dose of the opioid for 7 weeks. From what I know, if you are dependent and not addicted, you do not crave the drug. I certainly had no cravings. In my case, I went off the drug when I did cause it was making me sick. As it turned out, it was actually causing the pain I was treating at some point. Who knows when that was. I did not know that until I went off of it and the pain was gone. I can tell you, I will never go on another opioid again as long as I live. I would not wish this withdrawal syndrome on my worst enemy. After feeling good for a half day yesterday and thinking all this might be behind me, I started feeling kind of sick today about 9:00 a.m. and every part of my body aches and it is continuing. My sense of this is that I am going to be going through this for the whole month. In 10 days it will be 28 days, and I am using that benchmark as my month, lol. I am trying to be optimistic that it will be gone more quickly, but it is hard. However, I have to honestly say that each day for the last 3 days, I am slowly feeling a little better as they go by. The great thing that happened last evening is I got my appetite back and that is a huge leap in my recovery. I actually want food now and can eat it without forcing myself. As far as why people touch these drugs, the reasons are as varied as there are people probably. But, "keeping" is correct, they start cause they are in some kind of pain - either emotional, physical or both.
i think that's naive to say u will never touch it again u will I garuntee it how long have u 'quit'. A couple days weeks months lmao it doesn't matter after the first week u were already hooked but if u manage not to touch it for the rest of your life
I will personally get down on one knee and congragulate you.

i think that's naive to say u will never touch it again u will I garuntee it how long have u 'quit'. A couple days weeks months lmao it doesn't matter after the first week u were already hooked but if u manage not to touch it for the rest of your life

What?

so far all i have seen from you is inflammatory and derisive comments - i suggest you abide by this forums hr guidelines before infractions are levee'd against your account

AmysteriousmAn, I do not think you have read much of what I wrote previously. I was NEVER HOOKED on this drug!!!! I took Tramadol first for about 5 weeks and then switched over to oxycodone for about 3 weeks to treat pain from a kidney infection. I went off because the oxycodone I took the last 3 weeks was making me sick. Unfortunately, one of the side effects of opioids is back pain and I still had the back pain when I went off it. But, as soon as I was off, I had no back pain. I was going to stop anyway, because I had been on it long enough to clear up any residual pain from the infection, regardless of what I felt. To my complete surprise, when I did that, I found I was stuck with withdrawal symptoms from stopping the drug that I am now dealing with, and even worse, for a protracted period of time. I don't know why you seem to think that just because a person is unfortunate enough to have this happen to them that they were "hooked." That is just obsurd. I will give you that the receptors in my brain grabbed the opioids very quickly, and if that is your definition of being "hooked," then fine. However, I never had a craving for this drug before, during or after I took it, and I think probably by definition. being "hooked" encompasses a lot more than what happened to me. IMO, your attitude about my situation has been really offensive and incorrect, and you need to think about what you say to others before posting.

Wow, you are just rude on every thread you post in huh?

I don't understand trolls. Like I get it that they exist. But these are the wrong forums for shit like this.

Maybe I was direct but that's only CU's I've seen this a million times IRL I'm not trolling I just don't want the op to think he's in the clear when he ain't and ends up making his situation 100 times worse I will be more quiet from now on as I seen to have overstep the mark..