• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Will you raise (or have you raised) your kids to believe in Santa?

Will you raise (or have you raised) your kids to believe in Santa?

• Yes, when I have kids I'll raise them to believe in Santa

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • No, when I have kids I'll tell them the truth

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Yes, my kids already believe in Santa

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • No, my kids don't believe in Santa

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I have allowed my kids to believe in Santa, but am unsure if I would again

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • I'm not sure which way I'll go yet

Votes: 9 15.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

doofqueen

Bluelighter
Santa Claus

How old were you when you discovered Santa wasn't real? How did you feel about it and how did you find out? Or were you not raised to believe in him?

As most of you would know i have a nine year old little boy that i raise on my own. I have raised him to believe in Santa because this is how i was raised and just passed the tradition on. It seemed like the normal thing to do because all of society does it.

Over the past two years though my thoughts and feelings have changed about it and i wish i hadn't of because i don't like what Santa represents and all that comes with it.

I have this book called "The boy you brought home : A single mother's guide to raising sons" by John Marsden

It's basically a light hearted, funny and common sense list of 101 things you should do as a single mother raising a boy. (It's not the be all and end all of parenting, just something interesting i picked up ages ago) It's really good actually because i didn't have any brothers and all of a sudden i'm a single mum trying to raise a boy into a man and i have no clue what boys do and what's "normal" or whatever. Not that there is a 'normal' but you know. He's taught ME alot though about what boys do and how they act.

No 3 in the book says "Don't tell him that santa claus, the tooth fairy and the easter bunny are true"

The reason it gives is this....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ours is probably the only culture in the history of the world that condones the practice of parents lying to children. In other cultures, when adults told children about spirits, trlls and leprechauns, the adults themselves were believers. That's not the case in Western society in the 21st century.

The problem is that many children were shattered when they find out the truth. What shatters them is not that santa doesn't exsist, but their parents have been lying to them all these years.

That doesn't mean we have to get rid of santa altogether. Children love playing games with adults, and they understand perfectly well when you are in 'game mode' and when you are in 'reality mode'. So it's fine to present these mythical people as part of a game. Come December, you can play the "Santa game", and have heaps of fun with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

^^ What do people think about that?

I have this overwelming desire to tell him but feel like shit that i have been lying to him and being dishonest because we have a very close, open and honest relationship and he highly trusts me :(

I don't want to take the magic out of xmas for him though because he still believes in it (although i have a funny feeling he doesn't and either just wants to keep believeing or is maybe still working it out) and i was the one tht planted the idea in his head in the first place *slaps herself*

*sighs*

I don't see what the difference between believing in Santa Claus and talking about pixies etc is. DQ, I thought you of all people would be the one who liked spreading a little magic and mystery. I don't think it's harmful at all to tell kids about Santa Claus. I remember the nights on Christmas Eve when I would search the skies for his sleigh and get all excited singing Christmas Carols and watching cartoons. I would never deprive my kids of that.

That being said, I think by the age of nine he probably knows the truth anyway. I think I saw my parents arguing in hushed tones and frantically trying to wrap a body board on Christmas morning when I was about seven. I don't remember feeling particularly shattered though... I think my main focus was that hot pink body board. =D

it's not harmful at all, it gives children something to really look forward to , and to "be good all year" cause santa is watching....

But i actually believe in pixies and fairies and in magic. I don't believe in Santa and what he stands for. My son has lot's of magic in his life. In fact he thinks he's a wizard like Harry Potter =D

but pixies and fairies and magic isn't real.... not at all....

but with Santa, the aspect of making kids happy, bringing smiles to many faces, giving hope to people everywhere that life is miraculously good, if only for a small moment - is real....

As far as "things that harm kids" go, perpetuating the magic of Santa Claus is way, way low on the list.

My mum bought me up to believe in Santa Claus (and Easter bunny and the tooth fairy), and I enjoyed it immensely. I fully believed until I was about 10-12, and it wasn't one event which did it... but just a slow dawning realisation that it wasn't logistically possible. I asked my mum and her answer was "It's real if you believe it is".

I didn't feel cheated or lied to at all. In fact I had - and still have - a deep admiration for my mum trying to create a magical, beautiful tradition for me. "Look up in the sky!" she'd say, pointing to a bright star. "That's Santa in his sleigh coming to bring presents"... and I'd go to bed with that warm, tingly feeling that magic really could happen. I'll remember that always.

Kids grow up so quick. They get assaulted with reality from all sides. Why deny them this little piece of wonderment? Let him believe for as long as he wants to believe.

LOL... My mum *still* does "Santa Claus" for us kids, and we're 29, 20 and 16 respectively :D. She loves it. We go along with it... hey, why not! I think you and my mum would get along famously, doofqueen. ;)

keystroke said:
but pixies and fairies and magic isn't real.... not at all....

How do you know they don't exsist? I'm a big believer in magic. What about people who are wiccan and believe in the magic of the universe?

SLM - I don't plan on telling him the truth. It's kinda too late for that as he's nine and like i said i think he's worked it out but wants to hold onto it so i'm not going to take that away from him. I just wish i didn't raise him to believe in him in the first place. If he asks me again (which he has once and i lied) then i will tell him the truth though.

He said "mum the kids at school say santa isn't real and they said your parents buy you all the presents and put it on their credit cards"

me "well what do you think?"

Him "I said that my mum doesn't have a credit card so santa must be real"

=D i thought that was cute as!

That was about a year ago that conversation. I wasn't going to actually say "santa isn't real" because it would be ME shattering the magic of xmas for him and this way he made up his own mind without me really saying anything :p

doofqueen said:
How do you know they don't exsist? I'm a big believer in magic. What about people who are wiccan and believe in the magic of the universe?

there is no scientific evidence to prove me wrong, unless you can count Tinkerbell as being a real, legit human being.

But that's the beauty of belief and faith. You don't have to see it to believe it. :) pfft to all you scientific people ;)

you might not have to see it to believe it, this is why children believe in santa.

but they will eventually grow up and learn that there is no scientific support for Santa, much like there is none for fairies

:p

I just don't see how adding a little extra magic to your son's life is going to be a bad thing.

but my issue is that i don't like what santa represents. I ave no problem with kids believing in magic and things that are wholesome and good :)

I'm feeling the same way doofqueen. Luckily, it shouldn't be long now and my eldest will discover the truth, and then burst the others' bubble.

And keystroke, just because something can't be scientifically proven doesn't mean it can't be true.

what happens when he grows up and says "ok where are the fairies, pixies, gobblins, monsters....?"

same can be applied to Santa,

Santa represents good, fun, family times....

nothing but fun fun fun for children, I can remember not being able to sleep on christmas eve, or having great difficulty trying - because I was so excited that Santa was coming to my house. I even left a carrot for rudolf every year up until I was about 16 and a beer for Santa.

and every year there was an eaten carrot that rudolph left and the beer was drinken .... santa used to like tooheys new when he came to my house :)

Santa represents the same thing pixies do (it's about magic). It's the corporations that cash in on the santa image is what you really have a problem with

The true story of Santa Claus begins with Nicholas, who was born during the third century in Patara, a village in what is now Turkey. His wealthy parents, who raised him to be a devout Christian, died in an epidemic while Nicholas was still young. Obeying Jesus' words to "sell what you own and give the money to the poor," Nicholas used his whole inheritance to assist the needy, the sick, and the suffering. He dedicated his life to serving God and was made Bishop of Myra while still a young man. Bishop Nicholas became known throughout the land for his generosity to the those in need, his love for children, and his concern for sailors and ships.

Well... Santa represents a fat cunt thats not real, when a kid goes to 3 different shopping centre where santa is, questions are raised, and they begin to disbelieve...
I have never seen reason for "santa" existence accept that of money $$$$$ Kaching!. It's sad that alot of people bring their kids up with lies - not so much the santa lies, but i'm guessing it's shocking moreso when a kid finds out his parents are drug users, gets older, and finds out they are IV Heroin users... i have friends from situations like this, they have serious mental issues.
My background is not so fucked up, i wasn't lied to about drugs, or anything really for that matter, accept santa claus, which when i was 7, dad told me all about the bullshit, and showed me the bikes hidden in the garage that he'd bought me and my brothers, and his santa suit that he'd wear just incase we woke up as he brought them in!

I can't speak from a parents point of view, i'm not one, nor do i intend to be anytime soon (unless i fuck up) so doofqueen, good luck with raising your son.

Another thing i'd like to note: I don't believe in the using of drugs around children, nor do i condone lying to your kids about drugs... so really i can't have a stance on the matter, but political correctness sugests to hide all evidence of drug use or abuse from your kids... Kinda fucked up huh?

P.S - i kinda took this a lil off topic, but with reason - Lying to kids... i hope everyone counts it as on topic even though i got off the santa thing a lil.

^... while this thread is about Santa and kids,

if you read some of the replies and quotes taken in the thread, it basically states that Santa brings happiness to children the world over every year if even for a few moments.

regardless whether it be real or not, it still makes people happy.

I believed in Father Christmas until I was about 4. I asked mum if he was real, because I didn't believe that it was possible. She said, no, he's not real.

Then I sat and considered that for a minute, and said 'the easter bunny and the tooth fairy aren't real either then are they?'... to which she replied 'no'.

I also made up my mind at around the same age that God couldn't possibly exist either. Much the same as Father Christmas, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy aren't real. They only exist if you believe they do.

It used to piss me off when I started school, because I was one of only two kids in my class that didn't believe in all those things. I would argue loudly that they didn't exist, only to receive dirty looks from teachers.

*shrugs* I was jaded about the whole thing from an early age. I would say, let your son continue to believe... he will figure it out eventually, but until then, let him enjoy the magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.