• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Will Xanax help w/ Gabapentin withdrawal?

JustCallmeJen

Greenlighter
Hi everyone!

I've continuously tried to reduce my gabapentin but I keep having withdrawal symptoms everytime and I just feel like I am delaying the inevitable. My doctor isn't much help either. I have about 40 (0.5) Xanax from my doctor though. If I were to just go ahead and stop, would Xanax help with the withdrawal symptoms. Maybe take them for the first week then slowly reduce them after that? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I think it would. A benzodiazepine should be powerful enough to supress the withdrawal from gabapentin.

Maybe take it for 5 days then see how you feel? Or a better idea is probably taking a longer lasting benzo like klonopin and take 6mg for 3 days, 3mg for 2 days, 2ng for 2 days, 1mg for 1 day. Or something like that.

I think it would. A benzodiazepine should be powerful enough to supress the withdrawal from gabapentin.

Maybe take it for 5 days then see how you feel? Or a better idea is probably taking a longer lasting benzo like klonopin and take 6mg for 3 days, 3mg for 2 days, 2ng for 2 days, 1mg for 1 day. Or something like that.

Thank you! Unfortunately, I've asked my doctor to switch me to klonopin not long ago and she wouldn't for some reason and I have no other way to get any. So basically all I have is the xanax, clonodine, propranolol, zofran, and a few ambien.

I just want to stop the gabapentin and take whatever I have for a short period of time.

yeah man that's a pretty solid wd kit, you should be as comfortable as possible
┣▇▇▇═──good luck!

Thank you! I'm hoping it goes smoothly this time! Last time I didn't have anything. I made it almost 2 weeks and things were not getting better so I reinstated. I'm praying that this time I can deal with it while being a little more comfortable.

Any idea how to use these meds the best way possible for the shortest amount of time?

IMO, the best thing to do is to use as little medicine as possible.

I would see if you can find a different doctor to do a benzo taper to get off of gabapentin. But, doctors can suck, so I get if that's not an option.

I would say just use the xanax and make a taper plan with however many you have.

So basically all I have is the xanax, clonodine, propranolol, zofran, and a few ambien.
That should help, just make sure to take low doses, don't combine the meds as this could dangerously lower your blood pressure and as you said, keep the time you're using the meds as short as possible
Good luck!

Kind of a hazard, considering that xanax is a much more recreational, abusable substance. If you were to say that you wanted to stop a mild-moderate xanax habit, and you had gabapentin, things would be different.

Kind of a hazard, considering that xanax is a much more recreational, abusable substance. If you were to say that you wanted to stop a mild-moderate xanax habit, and you had gabapentin, things would be different.

So should I just stick with the other meds. The propranolol hasn't really helped in the past but I have never tried the clondine. I also have a fairly decent tolerance to xanax but don't take it often. Maybe a week out of the month if that. I just started taking magnesium as well but I think I need a better one that is more easily absorbed. Any suggestions?

like others stated xanax is a highly abused benzo. are you trying to stop recreational uses of gabapentin or just regular doses of gaba? i am scripted 3 600mg gaba's a day and take them as prescribed mostly and have never experienced withdrawals when i ran outta my script early but i know everyones body is different and have read many horror stories about WD's associated to stopping gaba. be cautious about combining the meds and causing your blood pressure to drop drastically. be weary about getting up from a seating position to quickly as when your blood pressure is lowered by the clonodine and propranolol it can cause dizziness if you get up to fast. just use the least amount of xanax as possible if you want my opinion. it will definitely help with the anxiety associated with stopping gaba (and all meds that mess with your CNS). good luck and be safe

Ime it will help a little but not ad much as I thought it would

Ime it will help a little but not ad much as I thought it would

I'm also finding that it isn't helping too much because it doesn't last very long. I don't want to have to keep redosing. I'm going to try and get a few klonopin to help with the severe anxiety & sleep since it has such a long half life.

Hi everyone!

I've continuously tried to reduce my gabapentin but I keep having withdrawal symptoms everytime and I just feel like I am delaying the inevitable. My doctor isn't much help either. I have about 40 (0.5) Xanax from my doctor though. If I were to just go ahead and stop, would Xanax help with the withdrawal symptoms. Maybe take them for the first week then slowly reduce them after that? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I think it would but on the other hand, getting to comfortable with Xanax isn't the best way out either. Benzos can be as bad as gabapentin imo/e.

I remember having been told once not to use them for more than 3 weeks. I used it for 30 years!

I think people misunderstand the power of gabapentin considering that it isn't a controlled medication, even most of the psychiatrists that I've worked with sort of shrug when its mentioned and ask what dose I'd like to be on. Also due to the the nature of gabapentin not producing a very noticeable "high" even those of us who take it might think that to stop taking it will be a breeze, but its definitely a strong effective medication at least in my opinion. Due to gabapentin acting on GABA-B as opposed to GABA-A or GABA-Z, both somewhat more commonly seen in American society, it tends to be something our body is unfamiliar with and there aren't any great substitutes for it. Phenibut, Baclofen, and GHB all also work on GABA-B but i don't thin anyone who knows much about those three would advise their use to help come off gabapentin for relatively obvious reasons. I mean although I take my gabapentin as prescribed there have been times when I've run out of my prescription, saw doctor at a different date than usual and didn't bother to call him and have the gabapentin script called into the pharmacy, and wow do I become irritated and generally unsettled maybe even more paranoid than usual. I've been in one of those run out of gabapentin situations while heavily abusing opiates before and even taking an extra 80mg OP Oxycontin or 2 didn't make it so that I couldn't feel the gabapentin withdrawal, as a matter of fact I think it made me feel worse. Of the medications you said you had available to help with the withdrawal propranolol and clonidine caught my eye as the ones which may be the most helpful as lowering blood pressure has often helped either make me tired , sleep is a great way to deal with withdrawal in my opinion, or lower blood pressure relieves anxiety for me. The medication I've found most helpful in dealing with gabapentin withdrawal oddly enough has been Guanfacine (Tenex, Intuniv) which is prescribed to help treat the symptoms of ADHD, it also lowers blood pressure and taking 6 mg of intuniv would make me sleep like a baby for the whole night. Anyways that is some of my thoughts pertaining to the odd medication, gabapentin; take care and good luck

I think it would but on the other hand, getting to comfortable with Xanax isn't the best way out either. Benzos can be as bad as gabapentin imo/e.

I remember having been told once not to use them for more than 3 weeks. I used it for 30 years!

I used the Xanax for about 4 days and it really wasn't helping so I got rid of them. I don't want an addiction to benzos. It did help me reduce my dose in those 4 days though. I think I am going to try to reduce a little more on my own and then use the clondine to help. I am also looking for a good magnesium supplement that might help.

OP, any updates ?

I took the Xanax for about 4 days and then got rid of them. I don't want an addiction to benzos on top of everything else. In those 4 days I was able to reduce my gabapentin a little. I asked my dr. to call me in a lower dose and I am going to try a quick taper over a week or two and then stop. I'm praying that the clondine will help. I just don't want to deal with benzos if I don't have to since they didn't seem to help too much anyways. Wish me luck!

How long do you typically think the withdrawals will last? I have young children that I need to be able to take care of. Quitting opiates was so much easier than this crap!

I used the Xanax for about 4 days and it really wasn't helping so I got rid of them. I don't want an addiction to benzos. It did help me reduce my dose in those 4 days though. I think I am going to try to reduce a little more on my own and then use the clondine to help. I am also looking for a good magnesium supplement that might help.

Good to hear that.. Hang in there. It doesn't last that long. In one week you should be fine.
Suggest you build a routine of exercises, eating well, and hobbies -- things that may take you mind off of it.