Will there ever be a new music movement?

Markomarkh

Bluelighter
I was thinking there hasn’t been any new genre of music since the year 2000s, what’s going to be the next greatest thing! It’s seemed when the internet was born it was all about nostalgia and hits and classics of the past people were downloading on mp3. I think the last true movement was bass, trap or dubstep and the best one was rave and dance music in the 90s. But the last 10years music has been dead! Do we need a new movement or is there to many restrictions and red tape now that nothing will happen? Best days over now?

What you think?

I don't think music is dead... It's always evolving sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse. As far as a new "movement" probably. Depends what you define a "movement" as I guess.

Now without joking, isn't this trap shit a new movement? They got their style, drugs, shitty ass music and style of spitting lyrics, it's everywhere

I think there will inevitably be new music movements, although perhaps they won't come along as frequently as they did in the 20th century. I feel like the last really big movement (at least for North America) was grunge in the 1990s, and that since then things have been more splintered. One could argue that "EDM"/the electronic-musification of pop music is a movement in a sense but that was more gradual and less explicit. I'm sure the future will bring new music that we won't understand at all but that our kids will be obsessed with...

easier to identify retrospectively. we're currently in new music movements. the best days are only over if you're trying to hang on to the past. music is always happening right now. too many restrictions and red tape? streaming enables anyone with an idea can put it out there soon as they create.

Last edited: