• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Will suboxone/subutex be metabolized through any ROA?

Paregoric Mac

Bluelighter
So i know almost all opiates get metabolized, when taken orally, by the liver and are then converted into something else. For example, how codeine gets metabolized into morphine, oxycodone to oxymorphone, buprenorphine to norbuprenorphine and so on.

my question is: if you take bupe intranasally then will it still get metabolized in the liver? Or if you IV it, or even take it how you're supposed to (sublingual)? I'm very curious about this because i hear of people that will try to potentiate bupe with tagamet.

I dont understand how it would go through the liver if snorted, shot, or placed under the tongue. :/
what sparked my curiosity was a UA i had to a while back. It was sent off to a lab and came back positive for buprenorphine and norbuprenorphine. I've always taken them sublingually, so does that mean no matter what ROA u take, it will still

get metabolized?

I dont understand how it would go through the liver if snorted, shot, or placed under the tongue. :/

Drug goes in blood. Some portion of that blood circulates through your liver (liver needs blood too). Liver enzymes metabolise the drug. Also, there are enzymes in e.g. the blood itself that can break down some drugs. It just doesn't have to go through the liver *before* being circulated through the blood.

so does that mean no matter what ROA u take, it will still get metabolized?

Yeah, there's no stopping metabolism.

cool deal. So then tagamet would indeed help when it comes to IV administration, correct?

oh and thank you for your response! :)