• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Will I experience withdrawals?

Xrs000

Greenlighter
I realize no one can truly answer this question but based off of the experience from some of this forums members I'm hoping to get a vague insight for what to expect.

History: 25 year old male / 160lbs. On and off opiate user for 7 years. Mostly pills but went on several heroin runs for several months at a time. Was clean but ended up on another Oxycodone bender. About 5 months into this run and at its height I was doing 10 x 30mg a day in an IV and swallow combo. Recently I've eased back to an average 3 x 30mg a day habbit. Tried to quit cold turkey and had the classic runny nose, soreness, loose bowels, throwing up and some slight suicidal ideation. Decided it was too much to cope with and live my everyday life, such as work. Continued forward doing 2 x 30mg a day. Tried to quit again but still felt like doom.

Solution: I picked up 6 x 8mg Suboxones. I used 2mgs at a time. At first I would do 2mg and then wait 16 hours or so and IV a Oxy 30mg. I would feel the Oxy, after 6 hours of Oxy buzz I would do another 2 mg of Sub. I repeated this half a dozen times until doing the Oxy no longer yielded effects. At this point I switched to using 2mg of Sub twice a day. I've done this and only this for about 3 days. Tonight I used the last 2mg chunk of Sub. Because I shoot it I have saved all the extra pieces from along the way and figure I have another 1mg shot of Sub left.

I'm hoping tomorrow the Sub already inside me will fade into just a slightly down feeling instead of sickness and I can ride that out all day. At night I'll use the last 1mg of Sub and a Klonopins to sleep. From there it's cold turkey. I believe o lowered my opiate use down enough that those several days of Sub use should have been enough to reduce my withdrawals to an absolute minimum. I'll probably feel a little crappy but nothing too dramatic.

Does this sound like I'm on the right track here or do you think I'm completely wrong and imminent doom is on the horizon?

I'm new to the forum so I tried to be as detailed as possible. Thank you in advance for any replies.

Also should be noted I have 4 x 0.5mg Lorazepam and 1 x 1mg Klonopins left.

It sounds like you're on the right track and you've made a good effort to taper down your use to avoid imminent doom. Unfortunately there's no free ride and you will be uncomfortable.

Luckily you have some benzos to help you through - use them wisely. Also stock up on tylenol/ibuprofen, loperamide (at therapeutic doses, none of this 100mg bullshit), a good multi vitamin, and lots of water.

Best of luck to you sir, you'll have 4-5 days of unpleasantness but then the light at the end of the tunnel will shine and it'll all be worth it!

And welcome to BL!

trust me brother, u can get thru it, and its worth it. if it was me, id take the sub after 3 days cold turkey. sub does nothing for me before then. that night u will fell a bit better from the sub.. it will give u a little rest..dont keep using it.. the next day will b harder but get thru it. for me day 5 was always when my mood and energy and general positive outlook started to improve. it wasnt easy for weeks after, but after the 5 days, worst is over. look at this way. ur gonna spend at least a week or 2 in some pretty severe discomfort. but isnt it worht it! after that ur free... never have to be sick again.

I appreciate the responses, I'm going to hold off on that last Sub. I might be able to access more over the next few days but I'm hesitant because I feel as if I buy more I'll just string along my dependence on some chemical. I have a lot of will power and motivation behind this so I know I won't cave in. Feel fine waking up but that's just the Bupe still in my system from last night. Going to get vitamins and ibuprofen and loads of Gatorade in a bit. Should I save the benzos for sleep?

String along you very well might, but if you think you have the willpower, go for it. I know personally once I go CT I never keep ANY opiates around to tempt me. Rather just get it over and done with.

Save the benzos and take them if you struggle to get to sleep/wake up and feel unable to fall asleep again.

You might want to take the klonopin around the 48-72 hour mark because that'll probably be your toughest period and it has a half life of 30-40hours.

Good luck!

String along you very well might, but if you think you have the willpower, go for it. I know personally once I go CT I never keep ANY opiates around to tempt me. Rather just get it over and done with.

Save the benzos and take them if you struggle to get to sleep/wake up and feel unable to fall asleep again.

You might want to take the klonopin around the 48-72 hour mark because that'll probably be your toughest period and it has a half life of 30-40hours.

Good luck!

So if I was to consume a 1mg Klonopins roughly 30 to 40 hours later 0.5mgs would still be in my system?

Thanks again for all the replies and advice.

I posted this last night and here we are almost 24 hours later and I'm starting to feel a little off but nothing major. I'm guessing the Bupe is slowly leaving my system and what I'm feeling is the onset of any withdrawal left. I'm not sure if this sounds stupid or not but it's almost like I've done this enough times to know at this point from intuition if it's going to be a rough one or not. I honestly believe with the moderate taper I used and the overall lowering of my tolerance that what I feel now is just about as bad as it'll get. Maybe a few more symptoms but I'm hoping to just drink a nice hot coffee and plow through my usual day as if I was fighting a cold. Just kind of ignore it and keep going as opposed to sitting around thinking it to death.

Maybe with any luck I can ignore most of it away! :-D

Buprenorphine takes a few days to be metabolized and, thus, to start feeling wd. I would really recommend tapering down to 0.25mg a day or 0.25mg every two days before you jump off. Just tiny slivers of strips. It makes things sooooo much more comfortable. 2mg of suboxone is still a surprisingly large dose; it's powerful shit, and will be a little rough to jump off of. But yeah, taper down to around 0.25 mg per day or per two days and save some benzos for after you totally kick the subs. This is the easiest way to kick a dope/opioid habit for me. Works like a charm and I can usually still get decent sleep throughout. You just have to find the correct balance of swiftness and slow steadiness for the fast sub taper to work its wonders. Exercise throughout helps immensely. Also, gabapentin/pregabalin. Good luck! And resist the urge to chip afterwards because, for me, using this method, even a single day of hard opioid binging in the few weeks following will throw you right back into bad withdrawals. So make sure you're really ready and have the stability to stay off the stuff for a long period of time.

yea i dont want to rain on your parade but 4mg subs is a large dose. 2mg holds me easy and i use 3 bags heroin sometimes to get high. If you jump at this high a dosage i would try to get clonidine and pregabalin + loperamide and benzos and a little weed. With that combo i can really tolerate any withdrawl. You will feel exhausted but thats it. Clonidine prevents for me the hot and cold flashes, restlessness and the pain i usually get in my lower legs (one of my first WD signs, and for me the worst physical feeling of WD). Pregabalin gives you energy and stabilizes your mood which can be really bad depression otherwise. Loperamide prevents the shits and benzos+weed help you to sleep like a baby. If i go into a detox facility i usually call them beforehand that i only come when i get this medication, sure they will taper the benzos and will not hand out weed, but you can take synt noids inside. Thats a hell of a easy time if i compare this to my 120mg methadon 10 day taper without any medication after 7 years of usage.