• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Will Anti-Psychotics Negate the Effects of Opioids?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
I know anti-psychotic are basically the anti-recreation drugs due to the dopamine antagonism.
Since opiates partially effect you by increasing dopamine, would taking an antipsychotic prevent or lessen the opioid effect?

I have Chlorpromazine for severe anxiety but I'm dependent on Tramadol so don't want to take it if it's gonna mess with how the Tramadol works.

I would imagine that yes, there will be some interaction and probable reduction of the dopaminergic effect of opioids. Chlorpromazine also interacts with serotonin so might intefere with that aspect of tramadol too. You might get an increase in sedation also. Different medication, but quetiapine altered the effects of some opiates for me; hard to say it was a reduction in effects, but an apparent increase in that dopey feeling, and a decrease in the opiate motivation feeling.

Some will combine better than others. If you look for extra sedation with your opiates you could add something. However, i only used 200mg chlorpromazine once and slept two days i believe :s
Tramadol is quite weak but perhaps 25mg chlorpromazine might add something although i wouldn't advise it. As this anti-psychotic has no recreational value imo

I was mostly looking to increase the sedative aspect so I think I'll try a one-off experiment of adding 50mg to my Tramadol dose see how it goes. If I do it before bed, the chlorpromazine will probably be gone enough to not effect my dosing the next day.

the sedation of chlorpromazine isn't enjoyable to me at all. And I had 40mg tramadol precribed 3 times a day and i didn't feel shit. I preferred a gr of paracetamol for my teethflesh infection a few times a day. i doubt there will be any usefull synergy between the two but it doesn't hurt to experiment (in most cases).

the sedation of chlorpromazine isn't enjoyable to me at all. And I had 40mg tramadol precribed 3 times a day and i didn't feel shit. I preferred a gr of paracetamol for my teethflesh infection a few times a day. i doubt there will be any usefull synergy between the two but it doesn't hurt to experiment (in most cases).

I'm not surprised it did nothing for you. 40mg is a TINY dose. I was unaware they even made doses that low. I live in the UK and Tramadol is typically prescribed at 100mg 4 times a day. Sometimes 50mg 4 times a day in people who are opiate-naive.

i told the doctor (dentist actually) i already had expierence with heroin so I wouldn't be new to opiates. the asshole wanted to pull out my front teeth like wtf, are you serious? he gave me another appointment and i threw it in the trash. my teeth are fine and the antibiotics healed my gums perfectly. liquid tramadol isn't worth shit if you are used to stronger opiates even if you have no current tolerance. i'll look for a dentist who doesn't work in psychiatry.

Don't think they would cancel each other out, replying to OP.

Promethazine is a mild/medium antipsychotic (per wikipedia, though). It's in codeine-based cough syrup. Now I know this isn't proof, but I'd say the antihistamine properties aren't totally to play in this new rapper's concoction. Might be somewhat analogous to blunts (tobacco and bud) that the rapper scene also promoted a lot. Now it's very prolific in the US at least.

Way back when, I'd take a prn antipsychotic just to chill the eff out.